M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i have the same problem that a lot of you have with oil leak from the left air filter. My dealer ask Suzuki for a solution and they told him to put only 3 liters of oil and remove the air cleaner drain plug during oil change ( if not, a small quantity of oil can remain ) ... waht do you think of that ??:-\

G

·
Hi everyone, i have the same problem that a lot of you have with oil leak from the left air filter. My dealer ask Suzuki for a solution and they told him to put only 3 liters of oil and remove the air cleaner drain plug during oil change ( if not, a small quantity of oil can remain ) ... waht do you think of that ??:-\
I think they're lazy, and don't have a grasp of what the problem is. Underfilling the oil to correct an overfill is not a solution. Too much oil is bad, but not enough is worse. I wouldn't want to run the bike with only 3 quarts in it. I also fail to see how removing the drain tube and plug from the airbox while changing the oil will change anything. They may as well have told you to remove the headlight. Too much oil + high crankcase pressure = a puking problem.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You may want to try Bigpapa's method for an oil change. I don't know how to link to it but I know someone out there has it. If I remember correctly, you put in 3.5 quarts, and don't even bother checking the dipstick. What's screwed up though, is that I did this just last night, but I still did the 15/3 oil check just for my own piece of mind, and there wasn't any oil on the dipstick. I measured what I drained out of the pan and it was 3.2 quarts. Good luck in finding your "correct" amount.

·
Registered
434 Posts
PUCK

I think this is the worst bike to check the oil on. I have such a problem like everyone else. There doesn't seem to be a right way. I have tried all of the ideas listed. Like the above ryder, 3.5 quarts and still nothing on the dip stick. LOL :dontknow:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I always use 3qts and 20ozs. Then do the cold check. It is always in the middle of the range. Never any oil puking or problems.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I always use 3qts and 20ozs. Then do the cold check. It is always in the middle of the range. Never any oil puking or problems.
Scratches head! 20oz=1 qt 4oz's. Typo?

·
Registered
599 Posts
1 quart = 32 oz. 1 pint = 16 oz. As far as the filter's oil, I dumped that into the oil I drained from the bike, obviously some will remain in the filter, but I got all I could out in the 15 minutes it was draining .

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
its simple, with a filter, add only 3600ml of oil. Go get a measuring cup with ml. on one side, there at Walmart, find one that has 1000ml max, it makes doing the math easyer, you cant go wrong. forget about quarts or pints. 3600 mill liters only. I put 3800ml in and it puts the oil level at the high side of the safe zone on the dip stick, NO PROBLEMS. I got the info from my suzuki factory shop manual. 5500 miles on bike and I end up changing the oil at 2000 to 2500 mile intervolts, and no puke, even at freeway speeds, ever...:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup: P.S. check oil when engine is hot, oil expands when hot, a cold reading will always read low. This subject has been beaten to death in the forums. everybody else, do what you want, thats why I only buy new, not used.

·
Registered
214 Posts
right beside the dip stick on mine it say 3400ML. not insult anybody here, but that is 3.4 liters. I just follow that and I have not had any issues.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
1 quart = 32 oz. 1 pint = 16 oz. As far as the filter's oil, I dumped that into the oil I drained from the bike, obviously some will remain in the filter, but I got all I could out in the 15 minutes it was draining .
DOH!! My bad, major brain fart on that one!!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I knew that 1 pint = 16oz after that I'm lost.

:beer3:

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
right beside the dip stick on mine it say 3400ML. not insult anybody here, but that is 3.4 liters. I just follow that and I have not had any issues.

so much easier the power of "10". Wish we would have boarded that train along time ago.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The first oil change should be 3400ml then every one after that 3000ml do a cold check on the side stand every time you ride the key is the hash marks on the stick cold check should be around middle to bottom hot should be middle to top.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts