M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to give all of you an update. I receive a phone call from my Suzuki dealer this morning, he told me that he just receive a new ECM for me !!! :eek: Suzuki Canada sent it to him because i have oil puke problem .... so, i install the new one today .... but can only test it next spring :D we have snow here right now ... :edit: The part number is the same, but they change something inside ... :-\ So i will know the result in few 120 days ... :pop:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Is your bike a 2010? Did your dealer do the oil changes or did you?
You would think that after 4 years of the same constant problem, Suzuki could figure some kind of fix. Either a catch can....or an oil level window...something.
This oil puking issue is really the bikes only flaw...my harley buddies state," my bike doesn't leak oil"...frickin kills me.

Dave

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Just to give all of you an update. I receive a phone call from my Suzuki dealer this morning, he told me that he just receive a new ECM for me !!! :eek: Suzuki Canada sent it to him because i have oil puke problem .... so, i install the new one today .... but can only test it next spring :D we have snow here right now ... :edit: The part number is the same, but they change something inside ... :-\ So i will know the result in few 120 days ... :pop:
Dang 120 days?? Dats gonna be a lot of popcorn mang,,,,,,,,,,,, So the ECM is suppose to stop the puke prob?? That's new to me..............

·
Registered
378 Posts
WTF

Wouldnt that be some sh:edit:t if the ECM caused that, I dont think so though. Interesting though, I would appreciate it if they did figure it out. Dam shame a bike that looks so good is preejaculating oil after getting on it hard...lol

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Man. I am really bummed that the "oil puke" problem is still so prevalent. I'm not sure if I should be happy that I'm not alone, or sad that it's so common.
If/when the dealer fix doesn't work, try this:

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117146&highlight=oil+puke

It's not a fix, but it does take care of the problem.

Sorry to say, welcome to the club. :-\

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Wouldnt that be some sh:edit:t if the ECM caused that, I dont think so though. Interesting though, I would appreciate it if they did figure it out. Dam shame a bike that looks so good is preejaculating oil after getting on it hard...lol
:a20:

·
Registered
534 Posts
There are a lot of dudes on this site with TONS more mechanical expertise than what I think I might have. But in my heart of hearts, I honestly believe that the puking issue is purely too much oil.

We all know the issue here. Too much oil. Follow the service manual procedures...open up BOTH drain pluns when you change the oil. Move that bike from side to side and get it all out. There seems to be nooks and pockets that hold a certain amount of oil. When you then replace with new oil, we tend to "fill her up".

Maybe measure the oil you take out, and replace with only that amount. Also, My issues are only when the bike is running in hot temperatures...brings out the issue. I removed some oil, to the lower end of the dipstick...cleaned the left air filter. Haven't had a problem since.

Mechanics read books that say oil filter off, plug out, refill with "X" amount of oil. Do yourselves a favour and do your own oil change. Try to measure oil out, before filling it back up.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
:agree:

If they want to installl a new ECM , I say let them !

But it hasnt got a THING TO DO WITH THE OILD PUKE !

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
There are a lot of dudes on this site with TONS more mechanical expertise than what I think I might have. But in my heart of hearts, I honestly believe that the puking issue is purely too much oil.

We all know the issue here. Too much oil. Follow the service manual procedures...open up BOTH drain pluns when you change the oil. Move that bike from side to side and get it all out. There seems to be nooks and pockets that hold a certain amount of oil. When you then replace with new oil, we tend to "fill her up".

Maybe measure the oil you take out, and replace with only that amount. Also, My issues are only when the bike is running in hot temperatures...brings out the issue. I removed some oil, to the lower end of the dipstick...cleaned the left air filter. Haven't had a problem since.

Mechanics read books that say oil filter off, plug out, refill with "X" amount of oil. Do yourselves a favour and do your own oil change. Try to measure oil out, before filling it back up.
Do some more reading. Undoubtedly there are some instances where overfill was the issue. There are also as many out there like me, who are extremely detail orientated and are changing the oil by the book, and still have the dreaded oil puke.

This horse has been beat to death several times on the board. Do a search for "oil puke" and you will see. :bdh:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,077 Posts
I don't see an ECM fixing it either, but good luck and let us know in 4 months.

I think it's caused by several things, either separate or in combination.

Too much oil is obvious.

I think a dirty filter could cause it, since it would create increased vacuum in the intake and possibly pull oil through the vent system.

The vent system itself is suspect. That black box on top of the tranny behind the rear cylinder is where the engine vents to. That's supposed to separate the oil from the vapors, and the oil should drain back into the engine while vapors go up the tube to the air box. If the vent box gets clogged or grungy and the oil can't drain back to the engine, it gets pushed up into the air box.

Too much engine blowby from rings that are worn or didn't seal to begin with could allow more pressure into the vent box than it can handle, so oil gets blown into the air box.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts

You are partially right, that is for sure. However, the puking problem happens, when there is the exact amount of oil, and not enough oil :bigthumbsup:

Long story short, my bike was perfect until 10k miles. I had switched to synthetic around 3000 and it was fine. Then one day, it started puking for no reason. I do all of my own oil changes, and I will guarantee that it was not overfilled. I tried a few different oils, and finally went back to regular dino oil. It stopped immediately. Each time I switched oils, I cleaned out the air box and made sure there was no residual so I could know if it was a fresh puke. A few other members have had the same issue, around the same mileage. They switched to the same oil as me and it has stopped as well.

Now, there are others, like M109dreamer, who has basically tried everything and had the dealer rebuild the top part of his motor and it still pukes. His solution so far, is the catch can and that seems to be working great.

So, yes overfilling is a big part, but it is more the bike then that now. in the beginning when the bike was new, that was the big culprit.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
You are partially right, that is for sure. However, the puking problem happens, when there is the exact amount of oil, and not enough oil :bigthumbsup:

Long story short, my bike was perfect until 10k miles. I had switched to synthetic around 3000 and it was fine. Then one day, it started puking for no reason. I do all of my own oil changes, and I will guarantee that it was not overfilled. I tried a few different oils, and finally went back to regular dino oil. It stopped immediately. Each time I switched oils, I cleaned out the air box and made sure there was no residual so I could know if it was a fresh puke. A few other members have had the same issue, around the same mileage. They switched to the same oil as me and it has stopped as well.

Now, there are others, like M109dreamer, who has basically tried everything and had the dealer rebuild the top part of his motor and it still pukes. His solution so far, is the catch can and that seems to be working great.

So, yes overfilling is a big part, but it is more the bike then that now. in the beginning when the bike was new, that was the big culprit.
So BP what kind of Oil are ya runnin'?
Mine just puked with 4k on the oil change. (AMSoil)

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
So BP what kind of Oil are ya runnin'?
Mine just puked with 4k on the oil change. (AMSoil)
I went to Valvoline 10w 50 when it first happened as it was summer time. I then went to 10w 40 in the fall and it was still great. I stopped puking at 12k and I am over 37k bone dry. Just had the airbox off earlier in the season and it looks like it never had oil. The oil is the Valvoline for motorcycles vtwin forumula. I get it at Advanced Auto for 18 for 4 qts. Just a huge discount for oil filters at a local dealer. Hi flo Hf138 for $5.15 after tax. So, I have oil changes down to $23/bike

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
I don't see an ECM fixing it either, but good luck and let us know in 4 months.

I think it's caused by several things, either separate or in combination.

Too much oil is obvious.

I think a dirty filter could cause it, since it would create increased vacuum in the intake and possibly pull oil through the vent system.

The vent system itself is suspect. That black box on top of the tranny behind the rear cylinder is where the engine vents to. That's supposed to separate the oil from the vapors, and the oil should drain back into the engine while vapors go up the tube to the air box. If the vent box gets clogged or grungy and the oil can't drain back to the engine, it gets pushed up into the air box.

Too much engine blowby from rings that are worn or didn't seal to begin with could allow more pressure into the vent box than it can handle, so oil gets blown into the air box.
:agree: I do not see an emc causing the problems either.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
i think your dealer is pulling his Kock

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To make this long story short: At 6000Km my bike start to puke, the oil change as been done by my dealer at 1000Km. I send the info from this site ;) to my dealer who follow those to Suzuki Canada. They decide to drop the oil from the bike and only refill with 3000ml instead of 3600ml, oil still puke ... :-X At this moment they decide to came directly to my dealer office to try to fix that problem. They double the hose that goes to the left air filter, oil might go there if we are to "hard" with the beast :eek: After this time, no more puke problem, but that fit with the time i return to my stock exhaust too, so ??? So i was very surprise last morning when they call me because the case was suppose to be close ... :confused: anyway, a free ECM for my baby, i have no problem with that .... :pop:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hose to left air box, ECM?

I can't believe this problem is still so misunderstood!
Firstly, the hose to the left air filter is not the source of the oil. The larger hose from the breather to the center air box is the only way oil can get from the engine to the left air filter. The oil/mist is blown straight across the center air box, from the right entry point, right at the oval tube that goes to the left air filter pod. This is the airway from the filter to the center airbox, but makes a dandy drain for oil. Unless all the excess oil is cleaned out of the breather system, it will continue to make a mess.
I rerouted mine years ago, a simple and logical solution.
And although possible, other reasons than too much oil put in the bike are not likely. Attacking the problem logically is usually the best course.
People swear they put in the correct amount and it still puked. Nobody that rerouted their breather hose ever reported that it still pukes to my recall. People swear they saw flying saucers too. You make up your own mind.
Maybe if the dealer reroutes the breather hose into the new ECM it will fix it?:D
I also suggested years ago that people with a puking problem try running the bike with the breather hose rerouted outside the frame (as a test) where it can be determined if exesss blowby pressure exists (or oil exits)when you rev it up. Nobody ever replied to that one. Mine was dry, and very little air pressure if any could be felt on my hand. But mine was never overfilled or puked. Your experience may vary.
Once you understand where the oil is coming from, it's obvious the ECM is not the problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts