M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Have any local FL 109 riders had an oil puke problem that they fixed with a catch can, breather mod, or some other type of mod?

If so, how has it worked (?); and if it has worked I'd love to be able to check it out so I could perform the same mod.

My 9 has been puking oil.

I just had the oil changed several weeks ago. Took it out for the first good ride today and when I got back home the left side had been soaked with oil :verymad::verymad::verymad:

Thanks.............Erich

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Hey,

Have any local FL 109 riders had an oil puke problem that they fixed with a catch can, breather mod, or some other type of mod?

If so, how has it worked (?); and if it has worked I'd love to be able to check it out so I could perform the same mod.

I just had the oil changed several weeks ago. Took it out for the first good ride today and when I got back home the left side had been soaked with oil :verymad::verymad::verymad:

Thanks.............Erich
shouldnt have to have a catch can, probably to much in there.

dump the lot and refill it again as to what the book says.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hey,

Thanks.............Erich
Really should not be puking that much oil. If so then you are overfilled. Catch can will only mask the problem of overfill. Don't waste all that new oil. Drop the filter and let that oil out, put filter back on. Then per Suzuki do the 15/3 oil check. Run it 15 mins/ shut her down/ let stand 3 mins and check. Make sure when you check the oil you're holing the bike upright and level otherwise you will not get and accurate reading. I have done mine this way for 4 years and never puke any oil.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Oil Puking?

Erich.Don't know why you would have this problem like so many others here on the forum.Have had my bike since January 2008,and have had no trouble whatsoever with oil puking.Had the filters off recently,checked the left side for oil,and found that the only oiling up(Very fine film)of said filter was what we should expect from normal operation of the bike.Like someone has said,drop your oil,and start from scratch as per Suzuki recommendations.Best of luck. KEZZ.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really should not be puking that much oil. If so then you are overfilled. Catch can will only mask the problem of overfill.
Then per Suzuki do the 15/3 oil check. Run it 15 mins/ shut her down/ let stand 3 mins and check. Make sure when you check the oil you're holing the bike upright and level otherwise you will not get and accurate reading. I have done mine this way for 4 years and never puke any oil.
That's what I've been thinking. The oil change was done by the Suzuki dealer where I bought the bike :verymad:

IMO - they've overfilled it. I plan to call American Suzuki MC/ATV Customer Service on Monday to discuss the puking/overfill(?) problem.

Then I plan to call the service shop at the dealer where I bought the bike. I feel, at minimum, they owe me a new filter as I just paid $40.00 for the brand new one that now has oil on it.

We'll see what they say. When I was having the oil changed, I mentioned the oil puking from the left air filter problem to the service manager. The service manager told me that the bike will puke oil when ridden hard. I just can't believe that Suzuki would design a bike that pukes oil all over the left side if you ride it a little hard - by that I mean I take it up to 100mph.

Erich

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Yeah, That excuse is just that an excuse. I've had my bike over 100 many times and no puke. This bike WILL puke when overfilled. This is not specualtion but fact. Early on we had the puking oil issue as a regular everyday topic and question because we were all stumped by it. It did not take long to realize the slightest overfill of oil is pushed out the left side air filter. If it is overfilled enough, you actually have to pull your tank off and clean the inside of your air box located under the tank along with the sensors inside that air box. Of course that goes with removing the air filter housing on the left side and the filter inside that housing. This all needs to be done otherwise even bringing the oil to its proper level will still push oil out that is lying inside these areas.

As for the filter, you can re-use the new filter that was put on with the oil change. I just said to spin the filter off because I have found that it is easier to get the excess oil out that way rather than pulling the drain plugs. Most times pulling the filter will drop just enough oil to bring you into the proper range. Just check to see that the "O" ring is properly seated before reinstalling the filter. Then it's 15/3 check.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah, That excuse is just that an excuse. I've had my bike over 100 many times and no puke. This bike WILL puke when overfilled. This is not specualtion but fact. Early on we had the puking oil issue as a regular everyday topic and question because we were all stumped by it. It did not take long to realize the slightest overfill of oil is pushed out the left side air filter. If it is overfilled enough, you actually have to pull your tank off and clean the inside of your air box located under the tank along with the sensors inside that air box. Of course that goes with removing the air filter housing on the left side and the filter inside that housing. This all needs to be done otherwise even bringing the oil to its proper level will still push oil out that is lying inside these areas.

As for the filter, you can re-use the new filter that was put on with the oil change. I just said to spin the filter off because I have found that it is easier to get the excess oil out that way rather than pulling the drain plugs. Most times pulling the filter will drop just enough oil to bring you into the proper range. Just check to see that the "O" ring is properly seated before reinstalling the filter. Then it's 15/3 check.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try out your suggestions. Specifically, I will take the tank off and clean out the air box. I've already cleaned out the left side air filter.

After reading this thread, http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69138 , I think I won't even put in the hassle of talking with the dealer but just do it over myself. Note to self - never let the dealer do an oil change again!

Erich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts