M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could get a few opinions from some of you guys out there on the oil problem. I just picked up my bike Friday and I am experiencing the overfill problem and now have oil all over the left side of my freakin bike. I'm one of the idiots who beleived the dealer when he told me not to worry when I specifically asked them to PLEASE not overfill the oil. :mad: Since I work for Suzuki, I am looking for some information to pass along to some guys I know out in our corporate office.
1) My leak seemed to become very apparent after I had my first little "Romp" with the bike on the second day (5-6500 rpm shifts in 1,2,3,4th gears). Has ANYONE experienced the oil leak problem "just taking it easy" after they picked up their bike?
2) I followed the owners manual instructions making sure the bike was warmed for 15 minutes or more, waited 3 minutes and checked it while level (not on side stand) and I did not screw in the dipstick. It shows a half quart low. When I sit it on the side stand and screw the dipstick in, it then shows it's half an inch over the full mark. So my question is, how in the heck do YOU GUYS out there check it and get an accurate reading? My bike is spewing oil out of the left air cleaner, so it has to be overfilled right? But if I use the factory method, it shows that it's actually low. I'm lost here...........

G

·
I too had the overfill problem. I romped on mine after I knew it had oil in it. It had 12 miles on it when I loaded it into the trailer for the long ride home. When I got home there was oil underneath it in the trailer. I changed the oil in the bike at 46 miles when I knew for certain that my bike had been overfilled. I emptied the oil but kept the oil filter. I don't remember now but I believe I put in 3.2 quarts (whatever the manual says). I let it run for 15 minutes and let it cool for 3. I Didn't like the reading and let it cool for 2 more and then it was spot on. The manual is correct in how it says to check the oil, I just think it needs to cool a little longer. Not much, just a little. Just empty it and start fresh. Then you know exactly how much oil is in it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I to had the oil overfill prob.tryed to drain some out but after a half deep fryed right hand said the heck with it and drained it all and put in 3.5 qts with out changing filter.when i picked the bike up and drove 65 miles home taking it easy and varying speed.oil all over the bike.when i pulled the air box drain plug about a pint of oil came out of the hose.(make sure you have a rag under hose when you do this)after oil change no more oil problem.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
You work for Suzuki and you're asking us. ::)
How about you tell us what corprate says and get back with us. I think is has been well documentend on this site that this is a real problem and nobody really feels good about warming up a bike for 15 min. to check to see if you're low on oil. I've never heard of such a thing.

The real question is if you let your bike warm up for 15 min. and it is low on oil and you did damage to your motor because you ran it low on oil, who's fault is that if you can only check it by running it for 15 min.? ::)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have around 430 miles on my bike and soon will have to take it to be serviced hearing all the oil problems .this is one service i do not look forward too. I WILL STRESS OIL PROBLEM TO DEALER . because i do not have one now.and will be pissed off if they do this service wrong. :mad:

·
Registered
68 Posts
The manual says to screw in the dip stick, but not all the way to the seated position, sounds to me if you checked it that way it would be right on. Mine was right at the top mark, have had no oil leaks at all.

Blur, MN

·
Registered
168 Posts
I thought the manual said too insert dipstick up to the threads but not screw it in. I check mine after I'm back from a ride I put away my leathers and helmet and whatever the kids have left on the lawn that day then check it . Next time I ride if there isn't a black gold lake under her I ride. No puddles yet. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I love this bike but I'm beginning to regret trading my Mean Streak for the 109.
Sure it's fast but the Kawa never missed a beat , dropped coolant or oil.
Suzuki should list incontinence pads for this bike as an accessory.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
speed28 said:
Has ANYONE experienced the oil leak problem "just taking it easy" after they picked up their bike?
Yup. Mine puked oil after close to 200 miles (maybe sooner, but that's when I noticed it.... after a 130 mile ride). Unlike you, I was respectful of the break-in period and rarely went above 3500 RPM. :p ;) :joke:

Sorry, can't help you with the checking method issue you are having. The bike should be level. Don't know why it shows low when you check it that way. Maybe it needs a little longer than 3 minuted for the oil to drain back to the pan? Have you checked it after a good ride instead of just idling for 15 minutes?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Blur said:
The manual says to screw in the dip stick, but not all the way to the seated position, sounds to me if you checked it that way it would be right on. Mine was right at the top mark, have had no oil leaks at all.

Blur, MN
Read your manual again. It does not say to screw the dipstick in partly. It says to just rest the threads agains the threads of the fill hole.

·
Registered
422 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
ok? is that you again fitz!! :verymad:
Yeah Fritz has moved to Australia

I express dissatisfaction with my bike not yours so what is your problem?

I stated I still love the bike but am not used to issues like this with any Japanese product I've owned (and I've owned a lot)
I just made my thoughts known that I'm not that happy after my bike has been trucked to the dealer twice in 2 months of ownership.
Spoke to the dealer and he said to use a syringe to remove excess oil out of the filler hole but after getting inconsistant readings on the dipstick (after following the manual) I figured why should I when I may remove too much and cause damage.
It's their problem so they can pay the trucking costs (again)

This cannot just be a dealer only issue , it must be a problem with this bike's oil system to be so sensitive to overfilling by even small amounts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Manual also states ON the stand. BUT I agree it is a real crappy way to have to do such a simple thing as checking your oil!!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Hey Guys,

I did the service on my bike today. I put it on my bike jack just enough that it would stabilize the bike. I put exactly 3.8 qts, .8 is 25.6 ounces of oil. I let it run for 15 minutes turn it off and waited 5 mins. The oil was exactly where it should have been. The only problem I had was getting the darn oil filter off. I don't why the dealer put it on so tight, I had to go the parts store and get an oil filter wrench to get it off.

Cormierone

G

·
I checked the oil the day I brought the bike home 2 months ago and it was right on. I changed it myself to synth at 650 miles and have not had a problem. I just finished an 1100 miles round trip this week and stripped the bike, removed the air box etc... No oil, no problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been checking my oil, everything comes up ok. Then I am in Myrtle Beach find oil on the left side of the bike. Check the oil, it's over filled. Put it up, next morning start it up let it sit 5mins, it's right on the mark. Where is the oil coming from? What in the is the deal with this bike?

·
Registered
687 Posts
i check my oil level properlly, when i'm done every single ride, and it is everwhere, between to little or too much, about 1/2 of the time. my hands are up on this one. all I can do is let suzuki know. i do believe that it is always going to be My problem. have owned many zooks, i don't expect much here except seeing changes in model in years to come.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't know if your oil is low or not but if you have already tached it up to 6500 during the break in period you may have caused the problem. You of all people should know the importance of following the manufacturers recommendations. Do a search for checking the oil. There is a very detailed and specific post outlining each and every step. And when you get back to work talk to the head men and let them know how stupid their oil check procedure is.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My filter was the same way cormier. Man, it was a bear. I eventually just took a screw driver and poked it right through it and turned it that way. There is absolutely no reason to tighten it that much. I know its a twin, and it shakes, but jesus, it was like hercules himself turned that thing on. I stuck with a standard oil for the first service, but will be changing to a synthetic next time. Also, i used a synthetic in the rear end (amsoil) and it made the shifting buttery... Of course, the first to second is still a bit aggressive, but Im used to it now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts