M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help.

I changed the oil & filter in my 9 last week now I have oil coming out of the left air filter. I originally put 4 quarts back in the engine. I've drained some oil out and it's still coming out of the air filter. The oil level doesn't show on the dip stick. Should have brought it to a shop.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
If you read the service manual (should have done before changing oil) the engine only holds 3.6 Qts. Do you think it is actually showing on the dipstick but since it is new oil, very clear, it is hard to tell? I have had that issue before. I always put 3.5 Qts in mine when I change it and it works just fine! Run it awhile, then check and add more if needed. ;)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Do a search for "oil puke"

You probably didn't drain all the old oil out, and when you filled your motor back up you overfilled it. There are TWO drain bolts and you need to take both of them out to get all the old oil out. Try that then refill with 3.5-4.0 quarts of oil. You will have some residual oil in the system for a couple rides so it might continue to drip a bit but it isn't really anything to worry about.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Please Help.

I changed the oil & filter in my 9 last week now I have oil coming out of the left air filter. I originally put 4 quarts back in the engine. I've drained some oil out and it's still coming out of the air filter. The oil level doesn't show on the dip stick. Should have brought it to a shop.

Thanks,

Joe
Please download the updated oil level check procedure from Suzuki at www.billydump.com/cav/m109_oil_level.pdf

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please Help.

Thanks,

Joe
Thanks guys, I'll drain via both plugs and then add 3.5 quarts and go from there.

Thanks again,

Joe

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Just curious, did you pull both drain plugs when changing your oil? Please be honest because this is a continuing issue and it would be nice to know if some just pull the one plug out of not knowing there are two plugs. Thanks
two plugs???? I have been pulling 3 hmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
After experiencing take-off herky-jerkies for a long time I started to put in 4 qts at every oil change. I put ~3.5 qts to start, run it for 10-15 minutes then put in the rest. So far (~20,000 miles) the herky-jerkies have been minimized and I've never had a puking into the air box problem.

Now watch - I'll go out start it and puke into the air box - Murphy rules. :joke:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Once it percolates to the classic "puke" you will have some dribble. Even at the correct oil level some leftover oil in the plumbing will trickle into your left filter. You will need to clean or replace it a few times cause an oil soaked filter on one side doesn't help performance.
Having a K &N will be cheaper in the long run cause you can wash them

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You may also want to do like JD suggested. Do a search for oil puke. Lots of good info in those threads. You will likely have oil sitting in the air box until you go inthere and clean it out. That means that you won't be sure if you have more oil coming out until you clean the airbox and intake. And yeas there are 2 plugs for draining oil.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You may also want to do like JD suggested. Do a search for oil puke. Lots of good info in those threads. You will likely have oil sitting in the air box until you go inthere and clean it out. That means that you won't be sure if you have more oil coming out until you clean the airbox and intake. And yeas there are 2 plugs for draining oil.
You're right, I removed the air box and cleaned the oil. Went for a ride and it puked again. Going to remove all the oil via both plugs and then add 3.5 quarts let run for 15 minutes and add if needed.

Thanks for your support.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts