M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks:

This a.m. I had the oil dipstick removed and darkened the shaft with Hoppe's Gun Blue to make it easier to see the oil on the stick. After I was done I inserted the stick back into the bike and screwed it home. I then removed the stick and observed that the oil level was exactly on the full mark (top serrated portion of the dip stick). My bike has been setting on the kickstand for two days (no riding due to rain). I wiped the stick clean and reinserted and screwed it home again and then removed it and sure enough I got the same oil reading. The oil was exactly at the top portion of the serrated mark on the stick.
I know this is completely contrary to the "check oil procedure" which has been discussed at length on this board.
Has anyone else tried to measure their oil level after their bike has been setting a day or two???? If so, what reading did you observe on the stick. I'm really curious if this is the case with other 109's.
P.S. The darkened dip stick shaft is really easy to read....the Hoppe's did the trick!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ppridgen1 said:
just went out and checked mine,cold since yesterday at noon and it shows full to the mark while sitting on the stand,wiped it and reinserted ot and still showed full,I am about to change the oil now so I'll keep ya posted
Thanks for the feedback! This is nuts! We're busting our a$$es following a procedure that reads like a novel to check the oil! When the bike sits over night and is cold and on the side stand the oil level appears to be at the full level when the dip stick is screwed into place????? I'm wondering if maybe we should be re-writing the procedure for Suzuki :eek: :eek: :eek:.......not trying to be a smart a$$ or know-it-all but, just maybe, we can check the oil level when the bike is cold and have some accuracy about what we are reading on the stick. Guess we'll wait and see what others have observed????

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
im pretty sure it will always read full when its been setting for extended time, even if its not full. i experimented at my last oil change. i added 3qts. and checked the next day after bike sat and it read full. to get the propper reading, every time you add oil, run it for awhile and let sit 3min. before checking with bike in verticlal position.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bad109 said:
im pretty sure it will always read full when its been setting for extended time, even if its not full. i experimented at my last oil change. i added 3qts. and checked the next day after bike sat and it read full. to get the propper reading, every time you add oil, run it for awhile and let sit 3min. before checking with bike in verticlal position.
Returned from a ride with the bike nice and hot. Shut her down and waited for three minutes. Pulled the dip stick, wiped it clean, inserted it to the treads without screwing it in and the oil was 1/2 inch above the top of the serrated fill line. Appears to be overfilled. Wait another two minutes and check the oil using the same procedure and it still shows it's overfilled. Both times the bike is in the up-right position?????? No oil was added to the bike from the previous "cold oil check" performed earlier in the day. I truly believe this "dry sump engine design" has a number of "cavities" throughout the engine casting which holds and releases oil at different rates and thus causes the different readings to occur. I'm going to check the oil once again after the bike is completely cool and on the side stand and see how it registers on the stick.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You're right on the money with this one.  Went out after the bike had been sitting all day, unscrewed the dip stick, wiped it off, screwed it back in and ........just like you said, right on the money. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blvdrider said:
You're right on the money with this one. Went out after the bike had been sitting all day, unscrewed the dip stick, wiped it off, screwed it back in and ........just like you said, right on the money.  :bigthumbsup:
Thanks for you input! I thought I was seeing things. I think there will be a lot of the same responce from other owners. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
forget the cold check. through experimenting the best i can come up with is the method in the owner manual. i wouldn't check it after a ride either(i got mixed results here). just idle it on flat ground then wait 3mins. and check with bike vertical. dont screw in the dipstick either. also i would remove any oil over the f mark to avoid oil in the airbox.  :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
817 Posts
bad109 said:
forget the cold check. through experimenting the best i can come up with is the method in the owner manual. i wouldn't check it after a ride either(i got mixed results here). just idle it on flat ground then wait 3mins. and check with bike vertical. dont screw in the dipstick either. also i would remove any oil over the f mark to avoid oil in the airbox. :bigthumbsup:
Yeah, this is the way to go exactly.

Taking a cold reading is not reliable. Just because it read full on a cold check today doesn't mean it will be the same tomorrow. Because of the semi-dry sump design, there is no way to predict where the oil will settle after any given ride.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I do know that when I drained mine both on the side stand then upright for a while, when I measured the oil in the drain pan I had 4 qts. when I added oil after putting in the drain plugs and putting the new filter on (man the original was tight) once I got 3 qts in it it was full up to the top of the dipstick hole and trying to overflow. once started to allow the filter to fill and oil to pump through the system it held another quart and has been on the full mark ever since by doing it the Suzuki way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts