M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Board, I've now run into this issue 2 times. I replace the oil and oil filter, let the oil drain out for about 3hr's until all drips stop whip everything down then fill it back up per spec's in user manual with a measuring cup, run check and everything is spot on right at the line. Take the bike out everything is fine no problems until I go 60 - 120mph quickly then bang oils in the filter and I have to replace it. First time I figured it was me replaced the air filter cleaned everything out and wrote it off as a user head space error..... but 2 times same issue ggggrrrrrr this just doesn't seem right. I cook all the time and never have a problem measuring stuff out to the exact requirements :dontknow: anyone have any ideas what’s going on or if there is another level that might work. Next time I’ll leave out 100ml there is so much more in life I'd rather spend 44$ on then an air filter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
firecat said:
Hello Board, I've now run into this issue 2 times. I replace the oil and oil filter, let the oil drain out for about 3hr's until all drips stop whip everything down then fill it back up per spec's in user manual with a measuring cup, run check and everything is spot on right at the line. Take the bike out everything is fine no problems until I go 60 - 120mph quickly then bang oils in the filter and I have to replace it. First time I figured it was me replaced the air filter cleaned everything out and wrote it off as a user head space error..... but 2 times same issue ggggrrrrrr this just doesn't seem right. I cook all the time and never have a problem measuring stuff out to the exact requirements :dontknow: anyone have any ideas what’s going on or if there is another level that might work.  Next time I’ll leave out 100ml there is so much more in life I'd rather spend 44$ on then an air filter.
Are you running the stock air-intake system? This engine sucks! What I mean is it sucks air like a Hoover. I think the vacuum it creates actually pulls oil out of the crankcase through the breather even if you're at the correct level. I have an aftermarket air-kit and check my oil regularly but I still get a little dribble down the left side of the bike. Maybe just install a breather filter on the left side of the bike. Might help. I would like to hear other opinions though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
a little oil on your filter wont hurt any thing....probebly help :D I wouldnt replace it.
but use the search there is a ton of stuff on how to do the oil change

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
you need to add 3 qaurts, run the bike for a few minutes. then just add maybe 300ml. run the bike for 15 minutes then check according to manual. now add as needed until it shows mid to full on the dipstick. also when the bike seems to be done draining, stand it upright. you'd be surprised by how much more oil comes out. i found from oil change to oil change the amount of oil needed changes. you cant count on adding a set amount. also after changing and checking the oil let the bike cool down for awhile, then check according to manual once again just to be sure.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I feel your pain , believe me......I posted on this awhile back and have commented on some other posts.......I am typically meticulous about these things with all my bikes and cars across the years and have NEVER had these kind of odd oil procedure problems., Suzuki REALLY needs to make this a non issue ......

I have had to replace three filters on the left side now......Bike came filled low (on the bottom line when checking it) and NEVER puked oil . When I had the first service done I was very anal and spoke to the service manager and the tech at legnth to be sure they were aware of the proper procedure and had them show me the empty bottles and old filter. They had done several after having the first few puke oil on them, so apparently they knew their stuff. When I got home the bike had oil dripping from the left box. Drained some oil cleaned the box , replaced the filter (free of cost ) rode the bike around with no box in the hood just to be very sure nothing was puking.....dry. Took long ride a week later with no problems or leaking oil......rode again the next weekend and it puked oil into the left box again. Drain more and checked properly , cleaned the box again , replaced the filter again (with 20% discount this time ) rode the hood again with no box etc. to be sure......dry . Took another ride and lo and behold FRIGGIN oil from the left box AGAIN.

I am going to drain the darn thing and start all over next week ...... I am also considering the Big Air if for no other reason than to at least have cleanable filters!!!! I have been exact and by the book with all my procedures on checking changing filling etc. having been on this board and heavily researching this and it is getting on my nerves........but I really love the bike otherwise :D

I too am considering NOT attaching that breather hose to the air box but I dont know what the affects would be if any negative at all. It is only a crankcase breather , right?

As far as oil on the filter gause , those filters will be much more restricted with oil in them , they are not intended to be oiled like a K&N......

Anyway , I will quit ranting now......sorry for the book.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shriker said:
I too am considering NOT attaching that breather hose to the air box but I dont know what the affects would be if any negative at all. It is only a crankcase breather , right?
If you're not attaching the hose to the air-box you should use a breather filter. Pep Boys should have something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your help :D, I'll deffently give this a try this weekend. I'm glad to know that its not just an overfill issue but is seen weeks after replacing the oil. (sorry missed that in my search)

I'm also looking to change out the air filters but the one I really want isn't on the market yet

bad109 said:
you need to add 3 qaurts, run the bike for a few minutes. then just add maybe 300ml. run the bike for 15 minutes then check according to manual. now add as needed until it shows mid to full on the dipstick. also when the bike seems to be done draining, stand it upright. you'd be surprised by how much more oil comes out. i found from oil change to oil change the amount of oil needed changes. you cant count on adding a set amount. also after changing and checking the oil let the bike cool down for awhile, then check according to manual once again just to be sure.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hardly Davidson said:
Are you running the stock air-intake system? This engine sucks! What I mean is it sucks air like a Hoover. I think the vacuum it creates actually pulls oil out of the crankcase through the breather even if you're at the correct level. I have an aftermarket air-kit and check my oil regularly but I still get a little dribble down the left side of the bike. Maybe just install a breather filter on the left side of the bike. Might help. I would like to hear other opinions though.
+1

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
when you change the oil don't run your bike for 15 min its more like 5 but let the bike drain for 1 hour min then fill with oil :bigthumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts