M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
my 2006 9 is due for her 10k miles service. Last week I started noticing some black dust on the left side near the ignition key. I have attached photos of it.

I need your opinion about this, what could it be and what would you recommend?

Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is it possible they overfilled the oil and it's puking out of the air filter?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mcc but I'm still running on the last oil change that I did for the 7000 or 7500 miles service (can't remember). If overfilling the oil is the cause, I think it would have happened before I reach the 10k miles, no?

I have to bring it in on Monday for the 10k service and I obviously want to avoid being told any BS from the dealer.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry. I misread that it is due for the 10K service. I thought you just had it done. My bad...:-\

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If there hasn't been any oil added, you might want to check the hoses that connect on the back side of your intake housing to make sure they aren't loose or disconnected completely. Another possibility is a gasket or seal on your secondary cover is kinda spewing a bit, just pull the chrome covers off underneath your ignition key to see if there is any sign of oil.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Check your crankcase breather hose that the hose clamp has not come lose. It will be the big black hose that attach's to the black box at the back of the engine below the key.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any idea on cost?

Hi guys and thank you for your quick responses.

Do you have any idea about cost to repair whatever you suggested it is?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Crazy as this sounds, it could be brake dust blowing back as you ride. since you said it is "black dust" this could be your problem. Check you front pads and see how they look. The stock pads do shed quite a bit of dust. Just another thing to look at.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This may sound stupid, but it could be whatever you have your key attached to rubbing on the trim cover. My keyring leaves marks on my cover, but the attached item is plastic and the residue will come off. If not, I'll paint the trim later, but it's better than losing the key.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts