M109 Rider Forums banner

Oil Leak from Secondary Drive Oil Seal, speed sensor metal shavings

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bozak 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my first post in awhile, I've been riding this wonderful machine, mostly trouble free for the past 39k miles, and she's running as smooth as ever. :super:

To the point of the post, i read all of the oil leak threads after using the SEARCH TOOL, and my issue is closest to these 2 threads:

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117081
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164769

I was riding along, came out of a glorious, properly banked, 30 mph hairpin and nailed it down the following straight when the computer shut down the fun for low oil level. Pulled into an auto garage that was conveniently located right there, bought oil, and limped home, refilling every mile or so.

Once home, pulled the left cover, moved the rear boot, and what little oil remained came pouring out.
Since I had a few seasons where I was going through clutch cables frequently, and my clutch adjustment fluctuates frequently after hard riding, and since I have changed the clutch within the last 5k miles, I figured the front motor mount issue was also adding to my problems. I will get to replacing those front motor mounts another day.

3 questions.

1. if I just get an oil seal and put everything back together with the same shims, should everything line up correctly for gear mesh?

2. Is anyone parting out a bike and selling a secondary gear case (part #10 on page 4-2 of the service manual) I dropped mine and dented the place where the speed sensor plugs in. :mad::(" smilieid="18" class="inlineimg" border="0"> I will post up my request in the for sale section too.

3. Does anyone have experience with this: I had tons of metal shavings stuck to the speed sensor like shards on a magnet when I pulled it out to inspect it. nothing was melted through, but, I had to chip the metal shards off of the sensor.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just replaced my case because it was cracked from the driven gear rubbing on the inside of the case. I had lots of shavings too. http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166658 Just about to fill her with oil and take for a spin to see if its all good. :D:2excited: :D:2excited: :D:2excited: :D:2excited:

#5 ·
Your case replacement and downline carnage was much worse than mine, i just need a new gasket to keep the oil from traveling down the drive to that rubber boot where it makes its way out.

Also, i didnt remove anything but the secondary case so far. Once I unbolted the case, I just kept wiggling and jiggling the case until it came off, giving me access to the rest of the parts. I was relieved to research and find out it was just that oil gasket, but then I dropped my secondary case.... :redfaced:

So I hope I can just wiggle the driveline back into place and everything will line up perfectly and operate perfectly. I'll post up pics this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.