M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a stock M109R in California with California emissions equipment on-board. No modifications. I am having a persistent problem with oil being pushed up through the air filters. $50 for a new filter every time I turn around. The dealer has performed all maintenance. They tell me the only fix for the problem is not running the oil to the top of the dipstick, which is obviously a very stupid way of dealing with the problem.

Question: Is there a design/engineering flaw here? If so, how is it being addressed? I'm not interested in workarounds. I want a real fix.

I called Suzuki and got the corporate stroke job. The dealer doesn't want to do anything about it, so they referred me to Suzuki. Suzuki says there is no problem ("never heard of it..") and that they'll call the dealer. Typical runaround.

Bottom line: I'm about up to my eyeballs with these sorts of maintenance-related issues on this bike. I'm the type who likes to ride, not tinker.

Any ideas on how to deal with this problem will be welcomed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
install a catch can an be done with issue,search catch can. do your own oil changes. check oil level regularly.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Buy the K&N filters then all you have to do is wash them and re-oil. :bigthumbsup: the puking question has been addressed on here a million times but mostly it is due to an over fill issue. There is the rare occation that a bike just does that for some reason. Which if that is the case the catch can would be the best solution.

You have my curiosity up with asking this question after three years of being on here. Don't get me wrong it's cool that you did. the question is were you just now able to get a 9 or have you put up with this issue for three years and just now asked?:dontknow:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
im going to keep this short , it has been argued for a long time
most belive the oil puking is from over filling the motor , this is a DRY SUMP engine , all the oil does not drain back to the lower engine area ,
to change the oil
1 warm the engine
2 remove TWO drain plugs
3 remove old filter
4 apply clean oil to new oilfilter o-ring
5 Reinstall BOTH DRAIN PLUGS ,,,,very importatnt:joke:
6 carefully measure 3.6 L of oil , it may be nessiary to start the engine and idle it for some time to get the entire ammount in , (or 3.8 quart)

the factory recommend method to check oil is to warm the engine 15 min shut it off and wait 3 min and check the oil with the Bike UPRIGHT

the search feature will have a lot of info,Good luck Bro , this worked for me

·
Registered
31 Posts
Some of theses bikes will make a mess even though you have the correct amount of oil in them, especially if you ride them a bit hard and throw them around a bit.. The best mod I have sen on this site is a small mod (you will be able to search for it) that goes on you breather line and changes the vacuum a little. Cheap mod and fixes the problem. Not sure about the catch-can method!? You need a certain amount of vacuum on you breather pipe to keep your engine clean I have been told. Worth researching I guess!
I cleaned out all the pipes, air box etc after my one last did it and it settled down, but will still occasionally throw a few drops of oil out for no good reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.