M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guy's
Sorry if this has been covered before. There is a black cover/ shroud below the radiator with an opening where the oil filter is. It has two plastic buttoms/plugs on it. Can these plugs be removed to take off the shroud for more access to the filter area? I don't want to have to replace these plugs if they break, but it would create more working space.

Thanks
Mazatrol

·
Registered
5 Posts
use a dental pick or small flat screwdriver and pry the center pin out of the blk plugs
to reinstall just push center pin back in-very simple to do dont worry

·
Registered
134 Posts
The part is called a clip and is the same thing that holds the side cover below back edge of tank to under the seat. They cost $1.99 plus tax. I had to buy one Saturday morning. :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Convenience of changing filter doesn't seem to have been a high priority when Suzuki decided where to place it. First change for me required a strong belt and a vise grips to work around the obstacles. Since then, I've picked up a Suzuki cap wrench designed for changing filter in these tight quarters..
Jer

·
Registered
379 Posts
Why don't you just but a 65/67 MM filter wrench and weld bolt head on the end of it. I did it with a 9/16 bolt head and it works great. There is plenty of room to get a wrench on the bolt head without removing a bunch of plastic. I think the Suzuki filter wrench is set up the same way. Not sure. Incase you don't have a welder.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The correct way to remove the black clips from the bottom shroud and on the side covers is to "push" the center of the clip IN with a small screwdriver or whatever works. Pull the clip out and push the pin back up through to reuse it. You should never have to buy another clip if you do it properly.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
When I had my VTX I purchased a commercial grade strap wrench for motorcycle filters from NAPA. If I remember correctly the wrench was approximately $25. I plan on using this on my 109 and don't anticipate any problems removing the filter. Some folks experienced slippage of strap wrenches when trying to remove the filter. If this occurs you can apply anti skid tape ( normally used on stair treads) to the inner portion of the strap itself. With the tape added you get extra "bite" whenever you apply pressure to the wrench.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I suggest that you forget about taking any parts off the bike to change the oil. I've tried this in the past with other bikes and ALWAYS banged or scratched something.

I've changed the oil twice, and here's how I handled the oil filter.

I used what's called a filter pliers like the one from this web site.

http://www.stridetool.com/tools/autospecialty/oilpliers_01.html

I tried several other types of removal tools and none worked.

Space is tight and it's still a bit of a challenge with the plier tool. But it will work for you and you won't need to do any disassembly.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dont mess with the clips. Buy a  2.79 import band type filter wrench at an auto parts store, cut the handle off with a hacksaw to about 3 inches long so it will clear the floor and voiala!!!!! Instant oil filter access without messing with special "dealer parts".

·
Registered
664 Posts
Okay i gotta say it.... the oil filter is amazingly easy to get off if you just use a standard "strap" type oil filter remover. I have changed the oil 3 times now and don;t even have to take the cowling off...
The cheapy strap type wrenchs are only a few bucks and avaialble at any autopart store, sears, walmart, target etc.....

all ya gotta do it put the strap around the filter, then tighten the strap up and there ya go.... you can also use it to reinstall the filter if you big fumble fingers like mine...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hayabusa575 has the right idea but if you are changing the oil by yourself I would hope you are planning to buy a lift (if you don't already have one) so cutting off the handle shouldn't be necessary. I got a 1600 pound lift (aircraft aluminum, extra duty) for $167.00 if you do your homework.

Good luck. Hayabusa 575 is on target.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
speed28 said:
The correct way to remove the black clips from the bottom shroud and on the side covers is to "push" the center of the clip IN with a small screwdriver or whatever works. Pull the clip out and push the pin back up through to reuse it. You should never have to buy another clip if you do it properly.
Yes that is the correct way..but they are plastic and do break sometimes.

G

·
Even when changing out the original filter I never needed a wrench. I got it off with my hand. Since then I have put on 3 more filters during changes and have never needed a wrench. I tighten them by hand as well. What's the big deal? :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts