M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been changing my own oil ever since I bought my bike because I don't trust the dealer to do it the right way. I just changed my oil last week. When I removed both drain plugs, they were both tight but when I put them back in, the rear plug acted like it was stripped out. It would not tighten down. When I pulled the drain plugs out, there was not any metal particles on the magnets. I did put new crush washers on and it is not cross threaded.

Any ideas on what could have happened or what the fix would be?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Not unless u tightened it too tight and pulled the threads out of the pan.... is aluminum...u can add helicoils....(sure spelled wrong...)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not unless u tightened it too tight and pulled the threads out of the pan.... is aluminum...u can add helicoils....(sure spelled wrong...)
That is what puzzles me about it, the last time that I changed the oil, the plug tightened down as it normally does. But when I took it out this time, it came out like it should. When I put it back in, I hand screwed it in. It went in as it should. I did not notice any cross threading. It just would not tighten down enough to strip the threads out.

Does anyone know what the size of the drain plug?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
That is what puzzles me about it, the last time that I changed the oil, the plug tightened down as it normally does. But when I took it out this time, it came out like it should. When I put it back in, I hand screwed it in. It went in as it should. I did not notice any cross threading. It just would not tighten down enough to strip the threads out.

Does anyone know what the size of the drain plug?
It keeps just turning and turning and you never feel any resistance? I agree with Bad Boy to use helicoils.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
This is why a torque wrench is needed 16.5 ft.lb and tighten 1/4/turn after torqued.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

The real oil pan thickness only less 3mm.
Don't over 23 ft.lb in tighten.

I repaid it but still have some leaking.
So I bought a new one.
Thats why I dont do the heli coils , at least on oil pans. Oil always finds ways by a repair. Using an oversized plug at least has a new gasket that seal the plug, Other then that a new pan is the way to go......

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is why a torque wrench is needed 16.5 ft.lb and tighten 1/4/turn after torqued.
The last time that I put the plug in, it was torqued to spec. When I loosened it up, it was tight. Everything seemed normal up to the point of putting the plug back in. It just won't tighten up now. How do you strip threads when removing the plug?:dontknow:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Thats why I dont do the heli coils , at least on oil pans. Oil always finds ways by a repair. Using an oversized plug at least has a new gasket that seal the plug, Other then that a new pan is the way to go......
I think it is 6 one way, half a dozen the other. Either way you have to drill and tap the hole to the next size. IF you use the heli coil you can retain the stock size drain plug with a crush washer. Me personally, I would do a new pan. It isn't hard at all on the bike.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
The last time that I put the plug in, it was torqued to spec. When I loosened it up, it was tight. Everything seemed normal up to the point of putting the plug back in. It just won't tighten up now. How do you strip threads when removing the plug?:dontknow:
When you put it in and torqued it down, it may have damaged it then. When you removed it, it pulled the damaged thread with it and now your bolt has nothing to bite into.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What would be the next size up?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I think it is 6 one way, half a dozen the other. Either way you have to drill and tap the hole to the next size. IF you use the heli coil you can retain the stock size drain plug with a crush washer. Me personally, I would do a new pan. It isn't hard at all on the bike.
Yup they both are chezzy fixes,,,,,,,Only place I have used a helicoil is a stipped sparkplug hole. Something about the heat will allow such a repair possible and work............

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you put it in and torqued it down, it may have damaged it then. When you removed it, it pulled the damaged thread with it and now your bolt has nothing to bite into.
Thanks Bigpapa, that makes sense to me now. Damn, this sux.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Yup they both are chezzy fixes,,,,,,,Only place I have used a helicoil is a stipped sparkplug hole. Something about the heat will allow such a repair possible and work............
It is also a much deeper hole and that is where the helicoil shines. It isn't real good in smaller height holes.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Thanks Bigpapa, that makes sense to me now. Damn, this sux.
Yea, but it really isn't that bad of a job. Check pinwall cycle on ebay as they have every part. They might have the pan. If not, oneida is your best bet. Other then that, it is fairly easy. I haven't done one but check with Rainey or hopefully someone chimes in whether you need a pan gasket. I believe you will.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I already posted a WTB on the 4 sale section for an oil pan. Thanks for the help and insights.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, but it really isn't that bad of a job. Check pinwall cycle on ebay as they have every part. They might have the pan. If not, oneida is your best bet. Other then that, it is fairly easy. I haven't done one but check with Rainey or hopefully someone chimes in whether you need a pan gasket. I believe you will.
Thanks again Bigpapa, I will start my search.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I have been changing my own oil ever since I bought my bike because I don't trust the dealer to do it the right way. I just changed my oil last week. When I removed both drain plugs, they were both tight but when I put them back in, the rear plug acted like it was stripped out. It would not tighten down. When I pulled the drain plugs out, there was not any metal particles on the magnets. I did put new crush washers on and it is not cross threaded.

Any ideas on what could have happened or what the fix would be?
The oil pan is cast from some pretty cheap crap material. Depending on the level of inherent flaws when it was cast, the threads can come out without you having done anything wrong. It's not a pure piece of billet.

If you go to NAPA and get the second oversize 1/2" drain plug (that's the only local place that keeps that particular one), you can cut new threads into the existing hole without having to install a helicoil. The thread pitch is virtually identical to the stock metric thread and the plug is enough oversize that it will get past the stripped threads.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts