M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a little trick to use. I was having trouble seeing the oil on my dipstick after the oil change and after I was finished riding(also I,m a little old and my site is not the greatest). I got some Flat Black modelers paint and painted the bottom measuring part of the dipstick. Now I can see the level clearly and am not constantly putting in and pulling out the stick to often. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :doorag: :hot:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. I'm 43 and my 4 eyes have a hard time seeing those markings too. Where can you get that type of paint? Is it holding up well to the high heat of the oil?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Hot motor oil may have a tendancy to take that paint off. That being said, I doubt if that small amount would hurt anything anyway.
Any of you engine guru's know if a little bit of paint here and there would have any real effect if liquified into the oil?

I have good eyesite, but it would be nice to dip and check once, instead of the:
dip.
check.
smear some on your thumb past the fill line.
dip and check again.
try the smear on your thumb again, cause the last one wasn't clear to you.
dip and check again to be sure method.......

G

·
How about using a Sharpie Permanent marker, extra sharp chisel point?? Never tried it, but it would not flake off and would be easy. JMO

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hogthong said:
Hey, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to check the figgin'oil :eek: :eek:
The "rocket scientists" at Suzuki made the oil on the "9" the hardest to check of any motorized piece of equipment I've ever owned. I'm now setting the alarm on my cell phone to go off exactly three minutes after I shut the engine down after a ride ::)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
To improve the performance of your dipstick in it's ability to show the oil level, burnish the steel rod it's entire length with some steelwool. This will cut some micro grooves into the metal surface and makes the oil adhere to the shaft. Make sure you remove/clean the dipstick thoroughly before installing it into your bike. This little trick works on all metal dipsticks to include autos/trucks etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am not htat old, but I still have a hard time reading the dip stick. Iam going to try the bob109 thing. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
In a previous post I mentioned about burnishing the dip stick which helps when checking the oil. I forgot to mention that you can also darken the stick by appling Hoppe's Gun Bluing. This will permanently blacken ( Blue ) the stick and it won't ever come off like paint or a marker. The Hoppe's is available at any gun store, Wally World, K Mart etc. Those who know guns know about Hoppe's.

This is a quick update! Blued my dip stick with the Hoppe's....less than a minute and it was done. I burnished the stick with steel wool before applying the blueing agent. Installed the stick and checked the oil and it's much, much easier to see the level on the stick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts