M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned over 2400 miles on the beast. Since my 600 mile change and adding exactly what the book says, no spitting into airbox or oil consumption of any kind. What say you regarding your experiences?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
Mine will use between 4 and 6 ounces between changes, which I do at 6,000 miles. If I fill it to the upper hash marks on a change it will drop to near the lower mark by the time the next change is due. I think you'll find that is pretty common for the usage.

I use synthetic, either Amsoil 10w-40 or Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50, depending on the season.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Mine will use between 4 and 6 ounces between changes, which I do at 6,000 miles. If I fill it to the upper hash marks on a change it will drop to near the lower mark by the time the next change is due. I think you'll find that is pretty common for the usage.

I use synthetic, either Amsoil 10w-40 or Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50, depending on the season.
Yes, some consumption is considered normal. I haven't noticed mine using any between changes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have 25000 miles on my bike and I can't see where it drops any in the 4000 miles between oil changes. I am lucky, I guess. I use just regular Spectro 10W40 oil.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I've been using the Suzuki 20W-50 petroleum oil, and at 14,000 miles she uses nothing between 4000 mile changes.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have several Suzuki Dealers as Retail accounts and they all seem to say the same thing about the 109.

Regardless whether Synthetic or petroleum, some use oil, some don't and neither they, or Suzuki has an answer.

Just as I have many customers here on this site, some do, some don't... Yours might.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

·
Registered
665 Posts

Hi,zoom, can you please recommend which is best for hot whether all year round? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Mine uses around 4-6 ounces between changes which seems to be the norm for those who run alittle harder ... I'd rather it used alittle, than scuff a cylinder or piston skirt, or premature wear of other contact to contact components. I can remember when I used to add to engine lube to the gas to make sure it got some extra lube ...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have several Suzuki Dealers as Retail accounts and they all seem to say the same thing about the 109.

Regardless whether Synthetic or petroleum, some use oil, some don't and neither they, or Suzuki has an answer.

Just as I have many customers here on this site, some do, some don't... Yours might.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Mine does use oil! Been using AMSOIL 10w 40 since 600 mile service. It has 23500 miles now. Read about some 109s having oil issues with synthetic and wanted to go to dino oil to see if there was a difference. SUZUKI "tech" at dealer said not to do it. :dontknow: Changed oil and filter every 3500 miles. Can I put dino oil in it now or will it mess something up?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
Hi,zoom, can you please recommend which is best for hot whether all year round? Thanks.
I like the 20w-50. Theoretically since it's a water cooled engine the heavier weight oil shouldn't be needed, but it makes mine shift better. I actually left it in there last winter and it still started and ran fine.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I have a thought on this oil the consumption.
The type of oil doesn't seem to be a common denominator, because I've read threads where members go through regular oil, synthetic oil, or heavier weight.
I think oil is being pushed through the cylinders on the down shift or de-acceloration. I'm wondering if you guys that don't go through much or any oil between changes downshift a lot or use engine braking a lot.
Those of you that go through a lot between changes, do you downshift a lot, use engine braking a lot or de-accelloration a lot.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I like the 20w-50. Theoretically since it's a water cooled engine the heavier weight oil shouldn't be needed, but it makes mine shift better. I actually left it in there last winter and it still started and ran fine.
Mine has never had a starting issue using 20W-50 petroleum oil either.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Mine does use oil! Been using AMSOIL 10w 40 since 600 mile service. It has 23500 miles now. Read about some 109s having oil issues with synthetic and wanted to go to dino oil to see if there was a difference. SUZUKI "tech" at dealer said not to do it. :dontknow: Changed oil and filter every 3500 miles. Can I put dino oil in it now or will it mess something up?
You can switch at any time.

You can also try AMSOIL MCV 20W-50

Contact me for forum member pricing.

As noted above, there are some issues Regardless of the type (Syn vs: Pet) on oil burning issues. I have customers going over 7000 miles on their 9's and use little to no oil and some that use more. As in Zoom's case, 4-6 ounces in an extended drain is minimal.

On my Ultra, it will be fine and then all of a sudden at 7500 it will use about 8 ounces. I top off and it is fine up to over 10,000.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a thought on this oil the consumption.
The type of oil doesn't seem to be a common denominator, because I've read threads where members go through regular oil, synthetic oil, or heavier weight.
I think oil is being pushed through the cylinders on the down shift or de-acceloration. I'm wondering if you guys that don't go through much or any oil between changes downshift a lot or use engine braking a lot.
Those of you that go through a lot between changes, do you downshift a lot, use engine braking a lot or de-accelloration a lot.
I do some engine braking, not tire locking, but normal. Rev matching throttle blips.
May be true in some cases.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts