M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok go easy on me. I have been thrrough the searches and my question is this. Is there a rule of thumb how much oil my 9 will go through in normal operations. As checking the oil level is such a b.....h, I would like to keep tabs on it through mileage if I can. Thx in advance. ;) Vin

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I've got 11,000 mi. on my '07, have changed the oil 4 or 5 times total and don't recall having to add in between. I went to full synthetic after about 500 mi. on the break in oil.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've found that if you check the oil in the morning BEFORE you move it at all, the reading should be just above half way on the hash marks. I have not experienced any oil loss yet between oil changes, except my own induced oil loss. :redfaced: I have nearly 15k on it now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

Thanks for all the info, just as a clarification, when you check the oil level cold, is the bike on the stand or upright. Vin

·
Registered
461 Posts
check it on the stand and don't move it at all before checking it. Just walk up to it and pull the dipstick.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,940 Posts
None between changes here either. And running synthetic, I'll go 6,000 miles between changes.

As V42A9 said, check it on the side stand, and after setting over night or at least several hours. Don't start or move the bike before checking it, just pull the dipstick out and see what it reads. If you want you can clean it off and check it again, but if you do screw it all the way back in.

That's the only way I check mine after the initial 15/3 check at an oil change, and even then I don't worry about it. Put in the required amount and go.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I have to add oil between changes. Mine is an 06
For those that don't ever have to add oil between changes, what type of driving do you do most.
-Mostly City Driving
-Mostly Highway Driving
-Mostly short trips
-Mostly long trips
-Or sort of a bit of everything.

I go on long trips, but most of my mileage is put on in town and not highway.
I'm wondering if that contributes to the oil consumption between changes.

Rynosback, what type of riding do you mostly do that your 06 doesn't use any between changes. Do you use synthetic.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,940 Posts
A little of everything for me, but I tend to stay away from interstates. So no sustained high speed driving to speak of, though I do run it hard in these mountains. You do a lot of 3rd gear riding so you can accelerate out of and between curves.

Nothing but synthetic, either Amsoil 10w-40 or Mobil 1 20w-50 since it had 600 miles on it and I now have over 17,000.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have almost 24000 on the bike and have never had to add any oil between changes which I do according to the service schedule... other than the gallon of Repsol (about $60 a gallon) that I lost because I hit a peice of metal and it came up and cut my oil filter and sprayed oil all over my back tire which made for a very interesting right hand turn with a killer dismount. But, other than that... no problem at all.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ok go easy on me. I have been thrrough the searches and my question is this. Is there a rule of thumb how much oil my 9 will go through in normal operations. As checking the oil level is such a b.....h, I would like to keep tabs on it through mileage if I can. Thx in advance. ;) Vin
Vin, I have one question???
Are you use to riding a Harley? LOL

Sorry couldn't resist. Even my 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale doesn't go through oil. Everything is tight as a drum. And I certainly don't expect to go through any oil with the 9 either.

There is however a HUGE problem with our ride and that is how much of a lame set up there is for checking oil on this bike. What was so wrong with a sight glass? Simple and to the point, none of this retarded let idle for 15minutes, sit for 3 minutes and then check, oh, don't forget not to screw the dip stick in all the way, or at all for that matter..... geeez louise.....

I think the engineer's wife was sleeping with a motorcycle mechanic, perfect way to get back at them.
Idiots!
My rant for the night. :)

I would simply get into the habit of checking once weekly as recommended above and see what happens.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
388 Posts
My driving is usually rural with a little city but with 10,000mi and oil changes every 3000+ I've never had to add oil, been usuing synthetic since first oil change.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paul, No not a Harley my other ride is a Jaguar!!!!!!! Happy to hear that the 9 is foolproof. Ok so I got it, leave it on the stand, check it cold should be between the hashmarks, then periodically do the rube goldberg 15/3 method. Thx again, Vin:D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Paul, No not a Harley my other ride is a Jaguar!!!!!!! Happy to hear that the 9 is foolproof. Ok so I got it, leave it on the stand, check it cold should be between the hashmarks, then periodically do the rube goldberg 15/3 method. Thx again, Vin:D
I don't know about the stand thing...... common knowledge would predict that checking anything in the fluid department one would want to make sure the equipment was level.
Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts