M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I know that how to check the oil has been discussed way too many times and that the standard procedure is to idle for 15 mins and then wait 3 mins before checking the oil with the bike in the upright position.
However, what happens if you wait 3 mins after riding the bike (for however long)?
Wouldn't that achieve the same thing? I.e., Do you have to idle to properly check the oil?

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I'm not sure there is a real clear answer on this. This is what I do....I go for a ride, get back in the garage and keep the bike running at idle. I jack it up for about 5 minutes and then shut her off for 3 minutes and check the oil level. FOR ME, it gives me the same results as the 15/3 method. Bottom line is you need to know your bike and come up with a method you are comfortable with.

I do the cold check method sometimes too and it gives me consistent readings as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do the cold check thing, Pull the dipstick check the level, if in cross hatch area, good to go. Readings are consistent.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I do the cold check thing, Pull the dipstick check the level, if in cross hatch area, good to go. Readings are consistent.
I only do the cold check now too. The 15/3 checks were always way too inconsistant, so I figured why bother them....

·
Registered
497 Posts
i went to the local stealer today and he said a suzuk rep stop by and and claimed it was to be checked the 15/3 method and streased 15 not 14 or 16 but 15 at idle and wait 3 and then check

·
Registered
300 Posts
theres oil in these things? :dontknow: what else have i been missing!?!?:edit:....:joke: if its low can i just add water, whiskey is too expensive. seriously though i am switching to syn. very shortly:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
i went to the local stealer today and he said a suzuk rep stop by and and claimed it was to be checked the 15/3 method and streased 15 not 14 or 16 but 15 at idle and wait 3 and then check
I would like this rep to do the 15/3 checks on my bike and then explain to me why the readings are never the same....

·
Registered
191 Posts
My procedure = Oil change>correct level>ride>next Oil change>correct level>same procedure for 4 years, 60,000 klms, no oil leaks, not blowing smoke, flog it when I like, treat it like a friend>no probs.

·
Registered
824 Posts
me too, ride, change, ride, change etc..
if I see a spot of oil or notice residue on the bike then I will check it. Until then, see top

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yep do the cold check before i ride every time same reading no puke i stop at 3qt at the change and add if i need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts