M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new m109r owner here. Followed the other oil change threads but the dipstick isn’t reading any oil. Started the bike for 15 mins, cooled for 3 mins, bike is on a jack and filled with 4 quarts and the dipstick has zero oil. Super confused. Any help will be appreciated! And no oil leaking anywhere.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Well, sometimes, new oil is hard to see on the dipstick. That's no joke. You just need to rub your fingers on it and see if you feel any oil. Once the oil has some miles on it, it's easier to see. That's how it works for me in any event. Most of us don't do the Suzuki recommended oil check. Once the oil is changed, go for a ride. Come home and let it sit overnight. Check it in the morning on the side stand. See where the oil level is then. And check your oil that way before riding every once in a while. These big brutes have a tendency to use some oil. The engine uses "slapper" pistons, no skirts. They use a little oil all the time. Mine uses about a quart in 3000 miles, that's with 38.000 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,648 Posts
Hello new m109r owner here. Followed the other oil change threads but the dipstick isn’t reading any oil. Started the bike for 15 mins, cooled for 3 mins, bike is on a jack and filled with 4 quarts and the dipstick has zero oil. Super confused. Any help will be appreciated! And no oil leaking anywhere.
This might help...:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, sometimes, new oil is hard to see on the dipstick. That's no joke. You just need to rub your fingers on it and see if you feel any oil. Once the oil has some miles o nit, it's easier to see. That's how it works for me in any event. Most of us don't do the Suzuki recommended oil check. Once the oil is changed, go for a ride. Come home and let it sit overnight. Check it in the morning on the side stand. See where the oil level is then. And check your oil that way before riding every once in a while. These big brutes have a tendency to use some oil. The engine uses "slapper" pistons, no skirts. They use a little oil all the time. Mine uses about a quart in 3000 miles, that's with 38.000 miles on the odometer.
That's ''slipper'' pistons , it has nothing to do with oil consumption.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I have the same issue. I use the cold check method now. After changing my oil, I always take it for a short ride keeping the RPM's low. Park it and then check the next morning using the cold check method.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
That's ''slipper'' pistons , it has nothing to do with oil consumption.
You're probably right. But my bike, and my friend's 06 as well, both use about one quart in a regular 3000 mile oil change. I changed his once, when he hadn't changed it for over five years, it has 1.25 quarts in the bike. EEK! I told him, "bring it over and let me change it for you." Drained out 1.25 quarts. Put in four quarts of Suzuki Ecstar 20w-50. Stopped all his funky shifting issues.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,033 Posts
I have a hard time seeing mine on the dipstick with new oil in it, if I look at the side with the checkered area on it. I flip the stick over and look at the back of it, sometimes it helps to hold it up to the light to get a little reflection on it. If it's on there you can see it.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Yeah, all you can look for with new oil, is an area that's a bit shinier than the rest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a hard time seeing mine on the dipstick with new oil in it, if I look at the side with the checkered area on it. I flip the stick over and look at the back of it, sometimes it helps to hold it up to the light to get a little reflection on it. If it's on there you can see it.
I checked multiple times and even ran my finger for oil and nope not a drop. Going to try the cold method

·
Registered
719 Posts
Since I put the specified amount of oil in the engine at each oil change, I don't check the oil until after having ridden the bike for quite a while...when I think of it. Perhaps I have owned too many Hondas that never seem to use any oil between oil changes.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,887 Posts
Congratulations on your new M109, and welcome to the forum!
The search function works really well here. This thread may be very useful to you:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts