M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all M109R riders>> I hit 600 miles and set up an appointment for my first service. The tech told me suzuki sent out a memo saying the only safe way to check your oil level was < Ready> get this. idol the bike for exactly 15 min. that means no revs. turn the bike off. wait 3 exact min. then stand the bike up straight and at that time you have to check it. They told me they tried to get more info from suzuki but suzuki was not even sure why this problem can not be resolved. Did anyone else here this and or know more about this issue. To me it just seemed messed up?

·
Registered
600 Posts
That's exactly how the owner's manual says to do it. :dontknow:

·
Registered
817 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
megga duh! I think the best thing to do (and i now do this every time)Â is to check it right after you get home from a ride ,let it drain down three minutes and then check it. Then next ride if there's no puddle under it ,your good to go! waddya think? :dontknow: :2cool:
Yes, this is really the only practical way.

By the way; this is not an "issue" or a "problem" to be resolved. It is a by-product of the semi-dry sump design, and there's no way to "fix" it. It's something we all gotta live with.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
yes because it is a semi-dry sump system. oil starts out in the tranny case, kinda like the oil tank on a Harley then is pumped into the crank case. I guess the warm up and let it sit routine insures the oil has pumped through the system and is back into the tranny case, also has two drain plugs on the tranny case for the oil!!!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Do you think it would be ok to check the oil after riding for a while and then let the bike sit and cool for 5 minutes?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts