M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Today I changed the engine oil and filter myself for the first time and I was surprised to collect only 2.3 L of old oil (I removed both plugs)? I've read many times on this board that the engine may consume some oil, but I did not think so much? And consider that from the last oil change 6000 Km ago, I refilled with 0.4 mL of oil.

The bike is a 2007 MY with 60K miles and the piston rings were replaced at 45K miles (because some major work was done to the crankcase and I took the opportunity to change the rings too).

Before draining the oil I let the engine idle for 5' and let it drain for about 4 hours.
Next I put in 3.6 L (synthetic).

What is surprising is that my mechanic told me that upon refilling, the first 2 L are easy to go inside the engine, while it takes a while to pour in also the 3rd L. For me instead it was easy to pour in 3 L, then I had the engine idle for 5' and next I poured in 0.6 L to top it up.

Yes I know, I ride aggressive, but yet it's hard to admit that my bike burns 1.7 L of oil for 6000 Km? And no, it does not puke oil from the left air filter.

Other than that the bike runs well.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
It happens and that is why it is important to check the oil level frequently.

I know some will say they never add or check the oil between oil changes and never had a problem, but that is a terrible maintenance routine to follow.

After extended hard rides or a days on the dyno, I sometimes have to add oil to my bike. (and by hard riding I mean WFO....not 100mph)

Pull your tank and check your coolant level at the radiator cap, you may find you need to add a bit there also.

BCS

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
My 06 burns about a quart in a 3000 mile change. Yup, check it frequently and keep it topped up.

Couple years ago, a friend with an 06 was complaining about the shifting. I asked him when he last changed the oil. He told me it was about five years previous (he doesn't ride it often). Told him to bring the bike to my place and I'll change it for you. He did. When I drained it, I got maybe 1.5 quarts. Told him that was why he was having shifting problems. The oil was ugly and had the consistency of water as well. Did to his like I've done with mine ever since I owned it, put on a new filter and put in four quarts of oil. He rode it home and said the shifting was much better.

Even with putting in four quarts, my bike doesn't puke either. I disconnected the oil breather lines from the air-boxes and routed both to a bottle under the left engine side covers. I had it apart Saturday to put a new clutch cable on, there was maybe half a teaspoon of oil in the bottle. Haven't checked that bottle since the last time I did a clutch cable, back in 2014.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 06 burns about a quart in a 3000 mile change. Yup, check it frequently and keep it topped up.

Couple years ago, a friend with an 06 was complaining about the shifting. I asked him when he last changed the oil. He told me it was about five years previous (he doesn't ride it often). Told him to bring the bike to my place and I'll change it for you. He did. When I drained it, I got maybe 1.5 quarts. Told him that was why he was having shifting problems. The oil was ugly and had the consistency of water as well. Did to his like I've done with mine ever since I owned it, put on a new filter and put in four quarts of oil. He rode it home and said the shifting was much better.

Even with putting in four quarts, my bike doesn't puke either. I disconnected the oil breather lines from the air-boxes and routed both to a bottle under the left engine side covers. I had it apart Saturday to put a new clutch cable on, there was maybe half a teaspoon of oil in the bottle. Haven't checked that bottle since the last time I did a clutch cable, back in 2014.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The point is that until now, when I've done my first oil change myself, I was not aware that the '9 could use so much oil. I did know that it's not easy to check the oil lever on the dipstick, but not that the '9 burns more oil than the boxer engine of a BMW GS :unsure:.

I was also well aware of the oil puking, leaving the left air filter soaked in oil. That's why my previous mechanic routed the breather line from the air box back to the crankcase. After this mod I did not get the oil puke anymore, although the exhaust smells a bit more (the mod is visible in the pic hereafter).

Today I wanted to check the oil level on the dipstick, having put in 3.6 L of new oil yesterday.
I rode for 150 Km and stopped the engine back to the garage, I waited 3 minutes with the bike upright, pulled out the dipstick, cleaned it, put it back without screwing it in and the oil was there between the L and F marks. (y).
I'm going to do this check after every ride to maintain the oil level.

Another point.
A couple of years ago I mounted a Powr Pro Black unit to go richer on fuel. Could it be possible that more petrol burnt causes also more oil consumption?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The point is that until now, when I've done my first oil change myself, I was not aware that the '9 could use so much oil. I did know that it's not easy to check the oil lever on the dipstick, but not that the '9 burns more oil than the boxer engine of a BMW GS :unsure:.

I was also well aware of the oil puking, leaving the left air filter soaked in oil. That's why my previous mechanic routed the breather line from the air box back to the crankcase. After this mod I did not get the oil puke anymore, although the exhaust smells a bit more (the mod is visible in the pic hereafter). View attachment 419178

Today I wanted to check the oil level on the dipstick, having put in 3.6 L of new oil yesterday.
I rode for 150 Km and stopped the engine back to the garage, I waited 3 minutes with the bike upright, pulled out the dipstick, cleaned it, put it back without screwing it in and the oil was there between the L and F marks. (y).
I'm going to do this check after every ride to maintain the oil level.

Another point.
A couple of years ago I mounted a Powr Pro Black unit to go richer on fuel. Could it be possible that more petrol burnt causes also more oil consumption?
Nope.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
A lot of us do the "cold oil level check" these days. After changing the oil and putting in the amount you prefer to put in (full four quarts for me), take the bike for a ride, then bring it home and park it over night. Next day, check the oil level before you start the bike and remember where it was. Do it that way for now on, it's much better than the way Suzuki tells you to do it.

I keep my bike completely vertical in a chock when home in the garage. I check my oil lever that way. Change the oil, go for a ride, bring it on back and chock it. Next day, check it before I ride it. Works well for me. I had to add a bit to mine today, but it does have 2700 miles on the last oil change. Be changing it again, maybe next weekend. This oil sat all winter long as well, with just occasional startups, and occasional rides when weather permitted. Time to change it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts