M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, is a oil change for the winter storage really needed, I live in upstate NY and I stop riding late October till late March or some years even April. On my last bike ( 2001 ninja ZX-7RR) I never changed it for the storage. Any help would be great.  Thanks

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
It is recommended due to the fact the used oil has enough contaminants in it that combined with the moisture that gets in the oil it turns to an acid. The usual method is fresh oil at storage then in spring fire it up and warm it up and change again. I would use a fairly cheap oil to store in it though then use the good stuff in spring.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
steve j said:
It is recommended due to the fact the used oil has enough contaminants in it that combined with the moisture that gets in the oil it turns to an acid. The usual method is fresh oil at storage then in spring fire it up and warm it up and change again. I would use a fairly cheap oil to store in it though then use the good stuff in spring.
Thanks alot. I will us the Suzuki oil its like $10

·
Registered
906 Posts
Either Go buy the cheapest Wally World junk and do an oil change with filter for storage and DO NOT fire the bike, only turn the engine over to get things lubed... Dump it in the Spring and install the oil you will run on before firing...

Or buy an oil that has a High enough TBN Rating along with enough Anti-Rust and Corrosion Inhibitors where you can store the bike and go ahead and run it in the Spring.

AMSOIL is the only oil I know of that meets the latter.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts