M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I had my 3rd oil change done, on my new 2018 M109R I purchased from the same dealer in 2018, about 2 weeks ago. On fathers day 6/19/22I went down while making a very slow left turn at an intersection. the only thing damaged ironically was my pride. Once I lifted the bike up, I noticed oil everywhere from the middle of the bike to the rear including the rims and tires. At first, I thought I missed seeing it on the ground and rolled through it, but that was not the case as I looked behind me and saw the trail of oil behind me and my OIL CAP was missing. I ask all of you is this something that happens? should I be checking my oil cap every time I have the oil changed for tightness? I was lucky to have my Sidi riding boots on and protection so the bike didn't make a brutal hit to the ground which I am grateful for but what should the dealer do at this point?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I seriously doubt the dealer is going to do anything.
The bike was in your possession for 2 weeks before the incident, so there is no way to prove if the dealer left the oil cap off or if you or someone else loosened it or removed it.

Always a good idea to check the bike over each time before you ride, that way you can catch issues before they become a problem.

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike was in your possession for 2 weeks before the incident, so there is no way to prove if the dealer left the oil cap off or if you or someone else loosened it or removed it.

Always a good idea to check the bike over each time before you ride, that way you can catch issues before they become a problem.

BCS
LGB/FJB

BCS
LGB/FJB
thanks for replying, I have been riding for 20
Plus years and do the normal checks of lights, brakes, signals etc not once have I heard especially after an recent oil change check the cap? I guess this is a lesson on not trusting

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,524 Posts
I usually have the opposite problem, my oil cap is difficult to get off. I've never heard of one loosening up on its own, so it must really have been loose.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello all, I had my 3rd oil change done, on my new 2018 M109R I purchased from the same dealer in 2018, about 2 weeks ago. On fathers day 6/19/22I went down while making a very slow left turn at an intersection. the only thing damaged ironically was my pride. Once I lifted the bike up, I noticed oil everywhere from the middle of the bike to the rear including the rims and tires. At first, I thought I missed seeing it on the ground and rolled through it, but that was not the case as I looked behind me and saw the trail of oil behind me and my OIL CAP was missing. I ask all of you is this something that happens? should I be checking my oil cap every time I have the oil changed for tightness? I was lucky to have my Sidi riding boots on and protection so the bike didn't make a brutal hit to the ground which I am grateful for but what should the dealer do at this point?
Key questions are: How did the bike get home from the service and did you ride it again, in between? And, of course, why do you ask this in the C109 forum when you have an M?

IMHO I don't see the cap coming out, even if it was left loose, unless someone purposly left it right at the last thread. But the dip stick part is pretty long...

Do you park your bike where someone can get to it? Are any of your neighbors complaining about the noise your bike makes? Are you messing around with someone else's wife? ROFLMAO! Would your wife like to be rid of you? Did you like, really anger one of your kids, lately?

Finally, one might wonder why an oil-soaked bike waited until you made a slow turn? You didn't feel anything, before the bike went down?

Interesting... Sounds like an episode of 'the days of our deaths.'

Now I'm gonna check my oil cap, first thing tomorrow!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Key questions are: How did the bike get home from the service and did you ride it again, in between? And, of course, why do you ask this in the C109 forum when you have an M?

IMHO I don't see the cap coming out, even if it was left loose, unless someone purposly left it right at the last thread. But the dip stick part is pretty long...

Do you park your bike where someone can get to it? Are any of your neighbors complaining about the noise your bike makes? Are you messing around with someone else's wife? ROFLMAO! Would your wife like to be rid of you? Did you like, really anger one of your kids, lately?

Finally, one might wonder why an oil-soaked bike waited until you made a slow turn? You didn't feel anything, before the bike went down?

Interesting... Sounds like an episode of 'the days of our deaths.'

Now I'm gonna check my oil cap, first thing tomorrow!
This is funny to you ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Harlem - I don't think he was trying to be disrespectful. He just got some razzing for confusing everyone if he had a C or an M so he's just passing it along. The rest is just trying to make light of the situation (IMHO).

Here are the most likely statements:
1. The stealership probably left the oil cap VERY loose.
2. It's possible the oil cap fell off and the oil on your tire contributed to the drop.
3. You will never get a dime out of the stealership.

I know that last item is tough to accept... Knowing they are responsible... But any attempt to get any acknowledgement from the dealer that the screwed up will lead to you getting more frustrated.

Good luck and ride safe.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is funny to you ?
I LOVE my ak-47! I LOVE watching small animals suffer, and die. These EXAMPLES (which, I assure you, are just that) demonstrate how words have many meanings.

Funny? While lacking the gross number of possibilities of love, funny is right up there on the list. And so it becomes necessary for you to define funny.

I'm sure that this experience was not humorous, for you. Still, I find the details funny, as in dubious. Enough to suggest you made the whole thing up. Maybe not. Who knows?

Though my suggestions on how this may have happened were cloaked in humor, I suggest you take them seriously.

If it really is possible to kill a rider of one of these bikes by simply loosening the oil cap I, myself, would not have made that public knowledge.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Never mind, clearly I was wrong about the intentions of the post.

I believe you. But I stand by my statement; any attempt to seek justice and hold the dealership accountable will lead to a rise in your blood pressure and little else.

Life is a hard teacher; it often gives the test before the lesson. I learned long ago that hired 'experts' are rarely capable of doing things better than I - and more often than not they can't even seem to do it as good as me, as I take more care in the task as it is my bike or my house or my car being worked on.

Buy a cool custom oil cap, change out the remaining oil (filter is probably fine still), and take the opportunity to clean the hell out of your bike (especially any oil on the tires!).

·
Registered
831 Posts
That is an unfortunate circumstance. The dealer will be of no help, except that he will order you and new dipstick and charge you for it. My experience is that the oil filler cap/dipstick on my Nine mysteriously tightens with use. I've have had to remove it with a pair of pliers more than once. In my 59 years of riding a motorcycle, I don't remember ever doing a pre-riding check when I've checked my dipstick for tightness. Hell, I rarely check my oil level.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
In my 59 years of riding a motorcycle, I don't remember ever doing a pre-riding check when I've checked my dipstick for tightness. Hell, I rarely check my oil level.
Likely you did all your own oil changes and did not have others maintaining your bike.

If I do the work myself, I know what I have got, with little doubt.
If someone else is doing the work, then you have no idea what's-what if your not taking a moment to give her a looking over. (especially right when it comes out of a shop)

I beat my bike like a redheaded step child and ride it like I am trying to blow it up most of the time. So I give her a good looking over, including oil level on my pre-ride check.
Not sure its even debatable that knowing the oil level in any piece of machinery is better than not knowing what the oil level is, before starting that piece of machinery.

Makes logical sense to me, but I am just weird like that I guess.

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Likely you did all your own oil changes and did not have others maintaining your bike.

If I do the work myself, I know what I have got, with little doubt.
If someone else is doing the work, then you have no idea what's-what if your not taking a moment to give her a looking over. (especially right when it comes out of a shop)

I beat my bike like a redheaded step child and ride it like I am trying to blow it up most of the time. So I give her a good looking over, including oil level on my pre-ride check.
Not sure its even debatable that knowing the oil level in any piece of machinery is better than not knowing what the oil level is, before starting that piece of machinery.

Makes logical sense to me, but I am just weird like that I guess.

BCS
LGB/FJB
Well bike shop called and said bike is ready for pickup , oil replaced no mechanical issues, no physical damage or scratches found , no charge for towing no charge for anything counting my blessing

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well bike shop called and said bike is ready for pickup , oil replaced no mechanical issues, no physical damage or scratches found , no charge for towing no charge for anything counting my blessing
I checked the oil today, making sure I paid attention to the filler cap. The threads are very fine. There is quite a resistance during the first 2.5 turns out. Then it frees up. After that it's like, 5-6 turns to free.

So if it was snuugged up, but never tightened, this would not have happened. If, somehow, it was screwed in right up to where the resistance begins, I seriously doubt it would have. nly if it was barely put in - as if to wait for an oil check, could this have happened.

Excuse me for not getting it buit your new bike is a 2012? As in NOS?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts