M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, it was that time. so I went out and bought oil and a filter. drained the old oil... then realized my filter wrench is way too big for the filter....

so back to autozone!! picked up a filter cap style wrench-a-ma-bobber thingy, fits on the filter, but then i cant get a wratchet in there!!!

so then i decide im not gonna take all the panels off and mess with that just to remove the oil filter...

out comes the phillips, a hammer, and the worst way to remove a filter known to man kind....

yup. I did it. channel locks wont fit in there... and my girlie hands cant grip that sucker enough... plus i think the idiot that put this one on REALLY cranked it. oh well.

so i got the new filter on and got 3.5 quarts back in... now im just waiting for my kids to wake up from their nap so i can wake the beast for 15 min. then wait 3.... oh the agony.

If that wasnt a reason enough to flame me... heres some more ammo:

oil: castrol 4t 10w40. -meets suzuki's requirements $12.00 at autozone.
filter: fram PH6018. $6 at wally world

I know Im cheap. but i dont want to put synthetic in it and frams have always worked for me in other rides....

-Nate

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yeah mine didnt work either..picked up a smaller one with a flexible neck at Napa store that works great....If you want a pic of it let me know ill up load it for you. You dont need to remove everything to take the filter off...ive changed mine 4 times now with no problem and no need to remove anything.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I got lucky my first time to change the oil. I was able to loosen the filter by hand. The new one is a K&N with a nut so I can use an open end wrench next time.:bigthumbsup: But if forced to, I would have used any means necessary to remove that thing!

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I drilled a small hole in the black center panel, in between the two lower chrome pieces. This hole exactly lines up with the square drive of the cup-style filter wrench I have. Thus I can insert an extension through the hole and into the drive hole.

The hole in the black piece is hardly visible, and no one has ever asked about it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
was having a hard time getting the filter off of my 4 wheeler 1 day and as i was laying there in the driveway thinking how to get it loose i took off my belt put it through the buckle and around the filter pulled it tight and loosened the filter no problem! cheap and effective:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey CBXer can we get a pic of that hole? thats brilliant!!!!

why didnt i think of that? im usually full of good ideas.

and here i was looking for anything flexible and strap like that i could throw around this thing, the whole time wearing a thick leather belt....

man im glad i got you guys around!!!!

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Why do you need a picture of a hole? Anyhow, at this time I have no camera with which to take said picture. The hole ends up being located on a downward slope, and cannot be seen until you squat down and look right at the black portion. Its been this way ever since my first oil change back in 2006, and like I said, no one has ever mentioned it.

The only difficulty is locating the hole, as you kind-of-sorta-gotta-take-a-wild-stab at exactly where to put it. I used a half-inch drill, placed a finger on the inside where I felt it needed to be, placed another finger on the outside, using the old, I think that both fingers are in the same place kind of touchie-feelie technique, and stuck the drill through. It is off just slightly, but still works. After drilling the hole, clean up the edges, that way it looks like it was made that way should anyone ever bother to look down there.

Don't know about you, but that particular area of my bike is hardly ever clean anyhow, since the front wheel tosses stuff there everytime you ride. Whats a half iinch hole gonna matter in that situation?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good point...

ill have to do that next time around

·
Registered
128 Posts
Walmart or any parts store have a filter cap that slips over the end of the filter and has a plastic nut on the end to put a wrench on to loosen it. a flex head ratchet wrench works great with it. Very easy to get your filter off that way.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
I use the Suzuki filters and the oil filter cap from them. It will not fit a ratchet and socket on there, but it will fit a box end wrench so you can loosen ans tighten it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i need to pick up the suzuki filter socket... the one i bought is universal and fits the filter great, other than its not a nut on the end its a 3/8 drive..

so you have to put a ratchet on it... ill drill a hole like cbx did and itll all work out great next time around. glad i checked in here though!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yeah mine didnt work either..picked up a smaller one with a flexible neck at Napa store that works great....If you want a pic of it let me know ill up load it for you. You dont need to remove everything to take the filter off...ive changed mine 4 times now with no problem and no need to remove anything.
adjustable neck is what I meant to say. it adjusts right below where it tightens...works like a dream just make sure you get the one that fits snug around our smaller filter. I can use any filter out there that will fit in there without worrying about anything...

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
I had to practically do the same thing to the OEM filter on mine. I stopped just short of punching holes in it and used a set of oil filter pliers. Nothing but fancy vice grips with bigger teeth, but they got it off.

Changes since then, I've taken them off with a filter strap wrench. It has a woven strap you slip over the filter, then fit a ratchet in the box on the end and turn until it tightens on the filter and breaks it loose. Some I can loosen by hand since I don't have the gorilla the factory used to install them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea i need a strap wrench...

i almost bought one, but the only ones at autozone come in a 2 pack and i dont need both, esp. for $15 when im doing a $20 oil change... lol im a cheapass

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
If you put the filter on with your hand you dont need to crank them down.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I usually use a large blades screw driver and hammer. Works everytime.:doorag:

However, I have since bought a small bendable oil filter wrench.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i got this one on as tight as i could with my hands... so it shouldnt be too bad next time around....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts