M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum and a new M109R owner. I have to say, I love the bike, but I've never been fond of "idiot lights." The bikes I've owned in the past were either air cooled or water cooled and had a coolant temperature gauge. I was a little bummed that the M109R doesn't have either and that the warning lights were rather feeble. So I set out to rectify that problem.

Currently they are not hooked up, but this is where I'm at so far. I am wondering if anyone on the forum knows the thread pitch and diameter of the coolant temp sensor and the oil pressure sensor. The oil pressure sensor probably won't be an issue as the one that came with the gauge has a built in light trigger. The temp gauge however I will have to "T" because it appears that neither of the wires for the stock temp sensor have a variable output that will work with the gauge. So I will need to use the stock sensor for the ECM and the one that came with the gauge.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum and a new M109R owner. I have to say, I love the bike, but I've never been fond of "idiot lights." The bikes I've owned in the past were either air cooled or water cooled and had a coolant temperature gauge. I was a little bummed that the M109R doesn't have either and that the warning lights were rather feeble. So I set out to rectify that problem.

Currently they are not hooked up, but this is where I'm at so far. I am wondering if anyone on the forum knows the thread pitch and diameter of the coolant temp sensor and the oil pressure sensor. The oil pressure sensor probably won't be an issue as the one that came with the gauge has a built in light trigger. The temp gauge however I will have to "T" because it appears that neither of the wires for the stock temp sensor have a variable output that will work with the gauge. So I will need to use the stock sensor for the ECM and the one that came with the gauge.

Bill
This is what I have installed on my 9 :
http://www.revo-cycles.com/shop/revo-voltmeter-temperature-gauges-chrome-riser-mount/
It is a temp gauge and a voltmeter gauge , the later more important , in my opinion , that the oil temp . The kit comes complete with everything and also instructions . It is also in stock now .
A pic of my bike with it :

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what I have installed on my 9 :
http://www.revo-cycles.com/shop/revo-voltmeter-temperature-gauges-chrome-riser-mount/
It is a temp gauge and a voltmeter gauge , the later more important , in my opinion , that the oil temp . The kit comes complete with everything and also instructions . It is also in stock now .
A pic of my bike with it :

That is a great looking setup, and I almost bought it. What turned me off was that it seems to be only available in °c and I could care less about another temp gauge. And then there was the price. I have $180.00 invested in mine and it'll be unique. I do really like that though...., if it would have had the options I was looking for available, I would already have it.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Bill
Hi Bill,

i like your setup.
where did you buy these gauges?
i am in australia and struggling to find gauges like this for motorbike.
i have C109 and looking at adding water temp.

cheeers
Vish

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I was wondering the same thing! Like the look of those gauges, best I've seen so far. I'm old school and analog gauges beat the hell out of digital "gauges". Always wanted to put some on my bike. I already have an oil temperature gauge hiding in my dipstick. It's not an issue to look down there once-in-awhile, especially at stops. I feel more of a need for a voltage gauge. They can be a definite tell all in regards to the batteries condition. Volt gauge told me when my Lightning's alternator went south, and when my Ranger's battery went tango uniform. So I would do coolant and volts myself.

Link to where those absolutely gorgeous gauges can be bought. :bigthumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry it has taken so long for me to respond. I haven't been on in quite some time.

The gauges are Eqquis 1 1/2" electric, ordered off of the internet.

The housings are turn signals from JP Cycles. I chucked up the lenses in my lathe and cut them to the size of the gauge.

The mounts are for a drink holder. I ordered them separately from the internet as well. I had to through drill them to accept the bolts to mount the turn signals to the bar mounts.

This summer I will be trying to locate someone who can cast me a new thermostat housing so I can drill it to put in a temperature sensor.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry it has taken so long for me to respond. I haven't been on in quite some time.

The gauges are Eqquis 1 1/2" electric, ordered off of the internet.

The housings are turn signals from JP Cycles. I chucked up the lenses in my lathe and cut them to the size of the gauge.

The mounts are for a drink holder. I ordered them separately from the internet as well. I had to through drill them to accept the bolts to mount the turn signals to the bar mounts.

This summer I will be trying to locate someone who can cast me a new thermostat housing so I can drill it to put in a temperature sensor.
New to the forum? I would say welcome, but I'm newer here than you are.

Nice work on the custom gauges. Gotta love that one-off stuff.

I too was looking into a temp gauge last fall. No Fahrenheit option on the revo riser mount drove me away as well. Right now I have the oil dipstick temp gauge like cbxer showed. Not coolant temp but better than nothing.
If you eventually look into a volt gauge, look at installing a usb charger with one built in. I installed a charger that doesn't have a volt gauge and wish it did.

I see you're in Oshkosh, I'm down by rockford. I'm planning on doing some of the Wisconsin Rustic Roads this summer. We should ride sometime.

·
Registered
374 Posts
That is a great looking setup, and I almost bought it. What turned me off was that it seems to be only available in °c and I could care less about another temp gauge. And then there was the price. I have $180.00 invested in mine and it'll be unique. I do really like that though...., if it would have had the options I was looking for available, I would already have it.
Same for me but I contacted the USA division ordered the F* ones and then ordered the kit -minus the C* gauges, its being installed now! I added the gear indicator too!

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
The oil temperature dipstick is pretty reliable for what it is. I have noticed over the time I have had it, that when the snews says it's a certain temperature outside, and my bike hasn't been run, it's right there where the snews says it is. And, since the oil cooler is in the radiator, the oil temperature is basically regulated by the radiator. My oil temperature has never gotten much hotter than about 21, which is the point the fan comes on. Interesting eh?

The main thing I want is a volt gauge. Having one could be the difference between being stuck or getting home. My Ranger has needed four batteries in the 20 years I've owned it. Every time, the dash volt gauge showed the needle well below the half way point, where it usually resides. My Lightning, I was coming home from Thunder Valley one fine night, when the volt gauge in it, which is digital and plugs into the cig lighter socket, showed voltage dropping, and fast. Managed to make it home, barely. Put in new battery the next day, and voltage was still dropping. Put in a new alternator and it's fixed. Kept the battery anyways, as the original equipment battery was 10 years old at the time. So to me, a volt gauge seems pretty useful. I've just never gotten around to doing it, since most all my riding is within 20 miles of home anyhow. I would just call McConnell's Towing and have it hauled home.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think that the voltmeter and the water temp are enough . I have the Revo voltmeter / water temp kit and it works great .
The voltmeter let me know if everything is working the way it is suppose to (piece of mind) , and the water temp also let me know how hot the engine is working , if it is ok or a little hot or if the temp is hot enough for the fan to start working , and also after the fan starts and stops again , on how fast the engine temp is getting down to a normal parameter , etc … very , very useful info .
For example , If I am stopped at a long intersection waiting for the green light , I can see the increase on the engine temp since the engine is idling at a stop , and once I start moving again , I can check how fast the temp goes down … I am so used to it that I wouldn`t want to ride without any of the two gauges .

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think that the voltmeter and the water temp are enough . I have the Revo voltmeter / water temp kit and it works great .
The voltmeter let me know if everything is working the way it is suppose to (piece of mind) , and the water temp also let me know how hot the engine is working , if it is ok or a little hot or if the temp is hot enough for the fan to start working , and also after the fan starts and stops again , on how fast the engine temp is getting down to a normal parameter , etc … very , very useful info .
For example , If I am stopped at a long intersection waiting for the green light , I can see the increase on the engine temp since the engine is idling at a stop , and once I start moving again , I can check how fast the temp goes down … I am so used to it that I wouldn`t want to ride without any of the two gauges .
I am definitely considering one of those for my Nine. Was the install pretty easy DIY.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
The oil temp dipstick goes down when I'm riding. When out riding around the lake, I'll park at one of the points for 10 minutes or so and let the engine idle til the temp gets up around 200. When I go around the lake again, by the time I'm back where I started, it'll be down around 190. Which tells me the oil cooler inside the radiator is doing it's thing. Heck, during the colder months, if I get out and do some riding, the oil temp rarely makes it to 180.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am definitely considering one of those for my Nine. Was the install pretty easy DIY.
Well... no . It is not too easy . You don`t have to be a genius to be able to do it , but is definitely not an easy task .
For starters , you have to install the unit to the handlebars (in my bike it was on top of the risers ) but that is the easy part .
The instructions are clear and with some pics , but nothing to brag about it .
Then, you need to empty (or lower, if you will ) the level of the coolant on the system . Since I had to disassemble it , I also flushed the system 3 times until it was perfectly clean , took out and washed the plastic cooling bottle , checked that the hoses were in perfect condition , etc etc . and after I assembled everything , I filled the system with new coolant fluid (expensive stuff) .
I also modified the coolant bottle cap by inserting a hose on top of the discharge tube, so the overfilling discharge would not be affected , and now I can fill up the bottle with the help of a skinny funnel very easily if it ever needs coolant . It hasn`t need any yet , but hey , just in case , lol... Getting access to the radiator cap requires disassembly and it is a royal pain in the ass to get to it , so , with the hose I avoid all of that trouble .
But getting back to the kit install, you will need to cut the upper hose to insert the sensor adapter . That is where "lowering the coolant level " on the system comes from . It is tricky because of the lack of space and you will have to shorten the hose a piece the exact size of the sensor adaptor , but it is doable … just be careful about it .
Then , re-route the cables to the handlebars , tight up everything , clamps , etc , check for leaks , etc etc .
Filling the system with coolant is also a tricky thing because it can hold air , so it has to be done with patience . So, there you go … it can be done by a regular handy guy if you are neat and precise .
The work is all done on the left side of the engine . :drool: In your case, if you are thinking in ordering the Revo kit , I suggest you don`t install the Q5 on the left side because it will have to be taken out in order to install the Revo kit , so , save yourself the hassle and install the Revo kit first and then the Q5 .
Cheers...:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well... no . It is not too easy . You don`t have to be a genius to be able to do it , but is definitely not an easy task .
For starters , you have to install the unit to the handlebars (in my bike it was on top of the risers ) but that is the easy part .
The instructions are clear and with some pics , but nothing to brag about it .
Then, you need to empty (or lower, if you will ) the level of the coolant on the system . Since I had to disassemble it , I also flushed the system 3 times until it was perfectly clean , took out and washed the plastic cooling bottle , checked that the hoses were in perfect condition , etc etc . and after I assembled everything , I filled the system with new coolant fluid (expensive stuff) .
I also modified the coolant bottle cap by inserting a hose on top of the discharge tube, so the overfilling discharge would not be affected , and now I can fill up the bottle with the help of a skinny funnel very easily if it ever needs coolant . It hasn`t need any yet , but hey , just in case , lol... Getting access to the radiator cap requires disassembly and it is a royal pain in the ass to get to it , so , with the hose I avoid all of that trouble .
But getting back to the kit install, you will need to cut the upper hose to insert the sensor adapter . That is where "lowering the coolant level " on the system comes from . It is tricky because of the lack of space and you will have to shorten the hose a piece the exact size of the sensor adaptor , but it is doable … just be careful about it .
Then , re-route the cables to the handlebars , tight up everything , clamps , etc , check for leaks , etc etc .
Filling the system with coolant is also a tricky thing because it can hold air , so it has to be done with patience . So, there you go … it can be done by a regular handy guy if you are neat and precise .
The work is all done on the left side of the engine . :drool: In your case, if you are thinking in ordering the Revo kit , I suggest you don`t install the Q5 on the left side because it will have to be taken out in order to install the Revo kit , so , save yourself the hassle and install the Revo kit first and then the Q5 .
Cheers...:bigthumbsup:
Too late on not installing the Q5 intake, it is already on the bike. I will be picking it up tomorrow morning in New Hampshire which is a two hour ride from where I am located in Massachusetts. I am so excited, I cannot wait. It sounds like the install is time consuming but straight forward, I can definitely do what you described in the directions you provided. Does the sensor adapter come pre wired, including the connections to plug into the revo display unit on the handlebars? What about the volt meter, does it include the wiring that goes to the battery? Thanks for your help, appreciate everything, I feel more comfortable pulling the trigger on this one after hearing from you. As you know with most of these mods sometimes you end up paying more for the labor than the actual part itself. So doing it yourself will save you a ton cash. The more cash you save the more you have left for mods. Makes sense to me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Too late on not installing the Q5 intake, it is already on the bike. I will be picking it up tomorrow morning in New Hampshire which is a two hour ride from where I am located in Massachusetts. I am so excited, I cannot wait. It sounds like the install is time consuming but straight forward, I can definitely do what you described in the directions you provided. Does the sensor adapter come pre wired, including the connections to plug into the revo display unit on the handlebars? What about the volt meter, does it include the wiring that goes to the battery? Thanks for your help, appreciate everything, I feel more comfortable pulling the trigger on this one after hearing from you. As you know with most of these mods sometimes you end up paying more for the labor than the actual part itself. So doing it yourself will save you a ton cash. The more cash you save the more you have left for mods. Makes sense to me. Thanks again.
Yes, the kit comes complete with everything needed , no problem there . The sensor comes pre-wired, of course and the voltmeter cabling comes complete , too .
In my opinion , just be very careful on the size of the piece of the upper hose that you have to cut off in order to install the water sensor … measure well and , specially , be careful in choosing the spot where you will be cutting the hose and installing the sensor in the hose , taking care it would not touch anything .
Make sure the cables won`t touch the engine or they will melt when the engine heat up … That will ruin your day for sure , lol...
Also (very important) leave enough cable loose so the steering can turn right or left without straining the cables .
Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.