M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody had to add more than the recommended 3.8 qt.? i had to put over 4 qts. i also stood the bike upright when draining the oil. quite a bit more oil came out. not showing any signs of leakage and did it by the book.

john

·
Registered
849 Posts
No more than 3.8 with oil and filter change. Be sure when checking that you run engine for 15 minutes and then let cool for 3 minutes per instructions. Otherwise you'll get false reading.
Jer

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i r an the engine 15 mins. and let it set for 3. stood the bike uprite and checked. needed 4.3. qts. i asume this is from standing the bike straight up when draining. quite abit more oil came out.

thanks
john

·
Registered
849 Posts
Did you then check it for instructions and was it then between low and high. If so, you're probably home free. I'd still check it reguarly because it sure doesn't seem you'd use that much oil on a change.
Jer

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just checked again per owners manual. oil is on the full mark. thanks jerbear.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when you stand your bike straight up when changing the oil alot more comes out then just doing it the way the manual suggests. checked it 3 times, all is good. ride on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine took 3qts + 28 oz whats that about 1 oz over 3.8?(Could have lost close to that much by not letting bottles drain all the way maybe) Added it exactly like manual says, then checked it, it was at the very bottom of the stick, added about 2 oz's and it seems perfect.

Blur,
MN

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know that, my point was I had to take it to 28oz to get it to show correctly on the dip stick. If the 3.8 was set in stone there would not be much need to check it on an oil change, just measure and pour. I would go by what the dip stick says. This after adding 3.8 going on a 10 min ride then letting it sit 3 min.

Blur,mn

·
Registered
168 Posts
:doorag: After a couple thousand kilometers I still don't get this,(i check it after a long ride,wait 3 minutes)sometimes she shows over the full mark sometimes just barely touching the dipstick.After reading some of the posts here I don't add just ride and next time I check she's over again ::) So I'm with ppridgen1 on the if there's no puddle under her I'm ridin'. Has anyone had to add between changes?
Dave

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
just got my service manual today and they describe two methods of draining the oil, one on the sidestand and the other upright. 3.6 qts. on the stand, 3.8 qts. upright. also states amount could vary a few ozs. depending on how long you let it drain. oil filter supposed to be tightened 2 full turns after seating? wtf, I wonder if they have a problem with them backing off from vibes. usually you seat the filter then 3/4 turn on most spin ons.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nope, my bandit 1200 is the same way. might be a zuki thing.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm having trouble checking my oil too.
Started blowing oil out the aircleaner (500mls after first service) for the first time.
Checked the oil as per the book and level is fine.
Nextday still blowing oil ,recheck the oil it seems overfilled What the heck gives with that?
The dipstick is hard to read too when the oil is so clean

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Tech at my shop who has been dealing with dry sumps for years and correctly filled my bike twice indicated that he had some bikes that you could let idle all day long and the oil wouldn't check correctly. But actually driving them for a few miles and then checking the oil works alot better than the method described in the manual in his experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts