M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting ready to do 600 mile oil and rear end oil read all the threads still can't decide which why to go. Any new inputs or recommendations on types or brands?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
OPUS said:
Just getting ready to do 600 mile oil and rear end oil read all the threads still can't decide which why to go. Any new inputs or recommendations on types or brands?
Flip a coin! Use anything except "energy conserving" to protect your clutch from slipping. Whatever oil you have used in the past and haven't had a engine/transmission failure....stick with that oil!

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can't go wrong with Amsoil MCF 10W40 or MCV 20W50 full synthetic, Motorcycle Specific, wet clutch safe, Jaso MA.

Dang I sound like a salesman

Dawg

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I got about 150 to go myself...What about Suzuki's new oil ? I think it has a synthetic blend in it.

I want to do this myself...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Dawg.....  Can I recruit you  ....  LOL

Dawg is correct, 10-40 MCF is the recommended oil but if you Really feel better about it, run the MCV 20-50 you will love either one.

Bob

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used Amsoil 10w-40 MSF and the Amsoil 75-90. I think she really likes it much smoother shifting especially from 1st to 2nd.

·
Registered
956 Posts
10-40 Castrol Synthetic Blend. Love the bike, but was not too impressed with removing the plastic to get to the oil filter. I know it saves weight, but it just won't last long.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Vetgasm said:
10-40 Castrol Synthetic Blend. Love the bike, but was not too impressed with removing the plastic to get to the oil filter. I know it saves weight, but it just won't last long.
A strap filter wrench works without pullin' plastics, for anyone new too this machine.

·
Registered
906 Posts
That website is about 8 years old and pretty much useless for comparisons today... Motorcycle oil has changed more in the last 18 months than in the previous 5 years.

For an in depth study of Today's Motorcycle Oil Go to Â
www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf Â

Where tests of 28 current M/C oils were performed by AMSOIL and certified by an outside source.

If you have any questions after that, feel free to call me Toll Free at 1-877-356-6099

Bob
[email protected]
www.bestoil4you.com

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Bulldog3 said:
You can't go wrong with Amsoil MCF 10W40 or MCV 20W50 full synthetic, Motorcycle Specific, wet clutch safe, Jaso MA.
FWIW, I used to be an Amsoil dealer, and the guy that signed me up has about 60 distributors below him so he's been selling this stuff a while, something like 15 years. He says the car version of their full synthetic oil is identical to their MC specific oil. The only difference is the packaging and the higher price tag. It's all marketing BS. ::)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
M109Rider said:
FWIW, I used to be an Amsoil dealer, and the guy that signed me up has about 60 distributors below him so he's been selling this stuff a while, something like 15 years. He says the car version of their full synthetic oil is identical to their MC specific oil. The only difference is the packaging and the higher price tag. It's all marketing BS. ::)
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:Whenever Amsoil did comparisons they " quote compared MC oils and came out smelling like a rose" they of course funded the comparison so there was definitely no bias on their part...BS. There have been independent comparisons done of all motor oils to include those used in cars, diesel trucks and MC and in most cases several "quote auto oils out performed" MC specific oils to incluse AMSOIL. W.T Barnum was right....there's a sucker born every 30 seconds and there's someone always willing to step to the plate and relieve the saps of their hard earned money :) :) :)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
W.T Barnum was right....there's a sucker born every 30 seconds and there's someone always willing to step to the plate and relieve the saps of their hard earned money :) :) :)
FWIW, I also buy the automotive version of the Mobil 1, what I refer to as "red cap" as it's the tri-synthetic that comes in the bottle with the, umm, red cap. :D

It's a lot cheaper than the motorcycle specific version of Mobile 1, but it's the same damn thing IMHO. ::)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
M109Rider said:
FWIW, I also buy the automotive version of the Mobil 1, what I refer to as "red cap" as it's the tri-synthetic that comes in the bottle with the, umm, red cap. :D

It's a lot cheaper than the motorcycle specific version of Mobile 1, but it's the same damn thing IMHO. ::)
:bigthumbsup: I'm a fan of Rotella 15w40w and Castrol GTX 20w50w....had good performance with both and never any failures to include the trans or clutches. I am also a believer in running factory oil filters. The stealer in my area gets $10.00 and change which is reasonable for a Suzuki designed filter. IMHO the manufacturer has a vested interest in assuring the OE filters are the best....they're providing the warranty! If you carefully read the owners manual, Suzuki recommends you select a "good quality engine oil" and of course the Suzuki brand is mentioned. All should meet API and JASO specs. They have no written endorsement for MC specific oils in the manual other than their own and that is not mandatory oil for the bike.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Your friend is right to a degree.. I have been an AMSOIL Dealer for over 22 years now, I know people that have been dealers since 1976 that still don't know what they are talking about. The AMF and the AMV are the exact same oil as the 10-40 and 20-50 Automotive oils just relabeled and DO meet OEM Specs for oils.

Your "Friend" should have also told you then that the New M/C Specific oils, MCF and MCV, are heads above the other oils.

Yes AMSOIL performed the tests... and they were carefully watched and then certified by an outside source. Of course if someone like Mobil 1 did the tests, I am sure everyone would believe them... The Old Pied Piper Syndrome...

I don't really care what brand oil anyone uses, it is all personal choice, I just offered up some Data that is at least up to date and not from some two bit web site.

What is not right is everyone looking at OLD DATA and drawing comparisons. The NEWEST test I saw was within the last month done by a Magazine. It takes them so long to do anything that the Info is old before it even gets to the presses. They were testing oils and right in the article they stated that they were testing the AMF (automotive) where the New MCF and MCV Oils were coming out but not available yet... MCF and MCV, have been out for almost a Year and a Half Now...

OLD DATA

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
What is not right is everyone looking at OLD DATA and drawing comparisons. The NEWEST test I saw was within the last month done by a Magazine. It takes them so long to do anything that the Info is old before it even gets to the presses. They were testing oils and right in the article they stated that they were testing the AMF (automotive) where the New MCF and MCV Oils were coming out but not available yet... MCF and MCV, have been out for almost a Year and a Half Now...

OLD DATA
Yeah this was about 2-3 years ago when I bought the oil from him. I bought the automotive, umm, something 2000 series oil?? :confused:
He said it was the same as the motorcycle specific oil that was available at that time, but that it was about $2/qt. cheaper. Since you say that the MCF and MCV oils have only been around a year and a half or so then maybe these newer oils are a different story than was available at the time I bought them. Like you said, OLD DATA. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
????What major trucking, auto or motorcycle manufacturer specifically endorses Amsoil for their vehicles???? Does any branches of our military specifically endorse Amsoil for their equipment. Lets not be vague here, especially with all the up to date info compared to "old data"!!!!! What specific Magazine (date and issue #) had the new/most recent data on the comparison of MC oils???? Who is the biggest consumer of Amsoil????? Whenever a survey is conducted by any oil manufacturer/producer and funded by that entity is there the possibility for bias in reporting the "facts"????? Has there been a comparison test of auto verses MC oils ????? Where are the results????? If a oil product had such superior protection qualities that it surpassed all competitors products ( proved of course ) wouldn't it be the only product available????? Has "Consumer Report" ever conducted a comparison of lubricating/engine/motor oils???? What specifically proves that one lubricant is better/superior than the other brands???? If you have never had a engine/trans failure using a oil product would that not be sufficient proof that the product was equal to other oil products in protecting your investment???? Ever wonder how many oil products would stand the test of "Truth in Advertising"???? What did we ever do and how did we ever survive before cell phones and Amsoil :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm not a believer in Amsoil or Lucas products. It will be Schaeffers synthetic blend for me when the time comes.

What about oil filters? What about the cross reference to an automobile?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts