M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the bike up to the dealership the other day to have the rear shock adjusted. Any significant bumps bounce me practically off the seat...even when I have my wife on the back.

Turns out my rear shock is already set as soft as it can go. So, I've been toying with the idea of purchasing an Ohlins rear shock and wanted to know if any M90 owners have one installed on their bike...how they like it and where they mounted the hydraulic adjustment knob.

·
Registered
743 Posts
i would like to get one too but the price tag of around $700.00 is abit rich for me

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found one for $595 plus $14 shipping...$609 total, which isn't too bad. I wanted to get some impressions on the Ohlins before I spent the money. The other option is to send my rear shock in to have a different spring put on, but that would mean my bike would be out of commission for 3+ weeks which would pretty much be the end of the riding season for me :-\

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have fitted one on our 109, the bike now rides and handles so much better. Well worth the money.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
If I were you I'd unbolt the 4 bolts to the black pan under the shock and look for yourself, I know the shock is very stiff, but what you are mentioning doesn't seem right with two up....I'm 240, I just set mine from 4 (factory pre set) to 3 and it made a noticable difference...at setting 4 it would bounce me off the seat once in awhile....Your combined weight has to be at least 300 pounds ....? just a newbies 2 C's 8)
(the help/tech section on this site is actually very informative)

·
Registered
743 Posts
i would agree that a new shock would make the bike ride heaps better and having a easy way to adjust the shock would give you more control

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have mounted a Öhlins Shock and a pair of Öhlins front fork springs on my C109R. The shock I bought have the hydraulic preload device so I can adjust the bike for single ride or with passenger. I can recommend them!

Also remember that an Öhlins shock can be repaired and overhauled. The stock shock is most likely to throw away when its worn or leaking. Another good thing with Öhlins is that you can go to a dealer with workshop capabilities with your new shock and get it adjusted if its necessary.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have mounted a Öhlins Shock and a pair of Öhlins front fork springs on my C109R. The shock I bought have the hydraulic preload device so I can adjust the bike for single ride or with passenger. I can recommend them!

Also remember that an Öhlins shock can be repaired and overhauled. The stock shock is most likely to throw away when its worn or leaking. Another good thing with Öhlins is that you can go to a dealer with workshop capabilities with your new shock and get it adjusted if its necessary.
Very well put.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I were you I'd unbolt the 4 bolts to the black pan under the shock and look for yourself, I know the shock is very stiff, but what you are mentioning doesn't seem right with two up....I'm 240, I just set mine from 4 (factory pre set) to 3 and it made a noticable difference...at setting 4 it would bounce me off the seat once in awhile....Your combined weight has to be at least 300 pounds ....? just a newbies 2 C's 8)
(the help/tech section on this site is actually very informative)
Different set up on the M90. Don't have the luxury of numbered settings on the rear shock. Only adjustment nuts for the preload on the top of the shock.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just had the Ohlins installed yesterday so I haven't had too much time to play with the settings, but it is a night & day difference over the stock shock...well worth the money :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just installed Progressive Suspensions rear shock. Much cheaper than Ohlins, about half the price. Also has rebound dampening adjustement. Very happy with it. I'm not being bounced around anymore. I thought about the Ohlins but couldn't find one for less than 900. I'm very happy with the Progressives. Now if anybody could only help me with the front shocks I'd be in M heaven.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What'd the Progressive run you? I picked up my Ohlins for $609...didn't see a Progressive rear shock for the M90 listed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I asked them if they made one for the M90 and the response:

Date: October 11, 2010 9:28:27 AM MDT
Subject: RE: Offline Message: Live2support

Unfortunately we do not offer one for that model.

Frank van Es
Sales Manager
Progressive Suspension
That is too bad. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't think they did...I think nickv88 has an M109. I looked at the price of the Progressive shock he said he had and it was still more than what I paid for my Ohlins.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Call eibach see if they offer their progressive rate spring for.your bike....might recomend revalving.......?

uote=nickv88;1359451]Just installed Progressive Suspensions rear shock. Much cheaper than Ohlins, about half the price. Also has rebound dampening adjustement. Very happy with it. I'm not being bounced around anymore. I thought about the Ohlins but couldn't find one for less than 900. I'm very happy with the Progressives. Now if anybody could only help me with the front shocks I'd be in M heaven.[/quote]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts