M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From smiling so hard... I've had my 109 for 5 weeks and have put over 2000 miles on her. I went riding with a friend today who has a Yamaha R1. We took some back roads and I had a blast scraping my pegs in the twisties. I really got on it a couple times on the straights just to show him how much power it had even at highway speed. After this, we did some cruising through town just to look good for a while. We stopped at a local cycle shop to shoot the sheet for a few minutes and to take a rest. We got onto the subject of the power in the 109. Conversations ultimately led to me saying I bet I could take him off the line for maybe an 8th of a mile or so before he could catch me. He quickly disagreed saying there was no way I would take him off the line, especially with his new sprocket or gear in that makes it lightning off the line. I really wasn't sure, but I had a feeling he would have trouble keeping the nose on the ground so I said, "Well, I would be interested in testing it out if you want." Anyway, we left the shop and made it through a couple lights before one went red with us up front and straight road ahead so I asked him if he wanted to give it a go. He said, "Sure." Now mind you, I have never just dumped the clutch on this bike before. I haven't even spun the rear tire yet. Usually when I really take off from a light, I wait until I'm rolling and the clutch is out before I gun the throttle. I guess I was just worried about not knowing how the bike would handle. Well, the light changed quicker than I expected, so I had no time to try and figure out how I was gonna launch this beast. I just simultaneously hit the throttle, dumped the clutch, and held on... Oh My God! This thing is awesome! I felt the rear get a little squirly as the tire immediately broke traction and spun for about 20 feet. A little counter steer kept things going straight. It was over as soon as it started... I took her to 7000 RPM each gear, and never even made it to 4th. I just backed off when I hit close to 100 (in a 45 zone...). When he caught up with me at the next light, all he could say was, "Damn! You kicked my a$$." I gotta say, I couldn't stop grinning. We went to the next light where it was the same story. He had trouble keeping his front wheel down, and I again left a 20 foot black line in the road. I guess I need to work on not breaking traction if I want to keep winning. Man this bike is awesome.

·
Registered
666 Posts
how big a guy are you??

im sooo scared to dump the clutch i dont want to flip this bike :a20: but i dont think that would haappen with this bike

i think im going to try it :D (dump the clutch that is :bigthumbsup:)

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
texas109 said:
how big a guy are you??

im sooo scared to dump the clutch i dont want to flip this bike :a20: but i dont think that would haappen with this bike

I'm 5' 11" and just shy of 200 pounds. I felt the front get a little light, but it stayed grouded, as I was easily able to keep the rear tire from passing me on the right side. I was leaned forward too. I don't have the balls to pull back on the bars when doing this. :eek: You just gotta do it. Don't sit there thinking about how you are gonna launch, or what RPM to rev to before dumping the clutch. For me, it was one simultaneous motion of twisting the throttle and letting the clutch go. I gotta say, it's just a sweet feeling to lay down some rubber. I need to limit the amount of times I do this though, as I can't afford to replace this tire too often. I need to get as many miles out of it as possible.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Medic1210 said:
I'm 5' 11" and just shy of 200 pounds. I felt the front get a little light, but it stayed grouded, as I was easily able to keep the rear tire from passing me on the right side. I was leaned forward too. I don't have the balls to pull back on the bars when doing this. :eek: You just gotta do it. Don't sit there thinking about how you are gonna launch, or what RPM to rev to before dumping the clutch. For me, it was one simultaneous motion of twisting the throttle and letting the clutch go. I gotta say, it's just a sweet feeling to lay down some rubber. I need to limit the amount of times I do this though, as I can't afford to replace this tire too often. I need to get as many miles out of it as possible.
sweeeeet! you know what... i dont even think we need to dump the clutch on this bike.. i have not so far and i still get a nice launch :bigthumbsup:

gotta LOVE that 2nd gear feeling :bow:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
J R said:
Now that sounds like I think the best kill yet on this board...KILLER WORK man :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
+1 :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
texas109 said:
how big a guy are you??

im sooo scared to dump the clutch i dont want to flip this bike :a20: but i dont think that would haappen with this bike

do it dude all that can happen is this maybe :p :p :p :p :p :p BTW this is a Turbo Triumph

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've never done this with this bike (or any).
I'm worried about loosing control dropping the bike or something and looking like a d#ckhead. :(
When it comes to four wheels after years of motorsport I can make a cage do almost anything but on 2 wheels I'm such a novice.
I got my license when I was 17 (before car license) but had a car come through a stopsign and collect me a couple of months later.
Spent six weeks in hospital ,nearly lost a leg and didn't walk un assisted for a year.
Never rode again for nearly 30 years until four years ago so you see I'm not that experienced and have a good memory of how much bitumen hurts.
Would love to try though :D

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I am a little gun shy too.
I used to do it on dirt bikes ALL the time. Like anyone else I NEVER launched WITHOUT spinning the rear on a dirtbike.
BUT after destroying my clutch with improper burnout technique I know I will have to really lay the power to it to break it loose.
I am 6'2" 375lbs so there will be ALOT of traction on that rear wheel!

I do know that once I can do it... I will probably almost always do it. :evil: :evil: The demon is in there just trying to get out.... one thing leads to another and I would be trying to wheelie again. And I promised my wife that whatever I bought would help keep the front wheel on the ground.

Sledzep

PS Awsome Kill!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts