M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy crap. :verymad:

I am on vacation, about 1,500 miles from home, the hottest day of the year, and guess what decided to quit working?

Fuse is okay but the radiator fan will not come on. While idling in driveway, the temp light came on and the overflow tank pissed a quart of coolant all over the ground. NIIIIIIIICE.

I gotta find a dealer who will fix this thing NOW or I am screwed blue.

Anybody else had this happen?

G

·
Wanted said:
Holy crap.  :verymad:

I am on vacation, about 1,500 miles from home, the hottest day of the year, and guess what decided to quit working?

Fuse is okay but the radiator fan will not come on. While idling in driveway, the temp light came on and the overflow tank pissed a quart of coolant all over the ground. NIIIIIIIICE.

I gotta find a dealer who will fix this thing NOW or I am screwed blue.

Anybody else had this happen?
any luck?

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Take the wire off of the sending unit and run it to ground and see if the fan comes on. I setup my blower bikes with a switch to do that so I can turn the fan on before the sending unit kicks in. Let us know what happened. ::)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lamonster said:
Take the wire off of the sending unit and run it to ground and see if the fan comes on. I setup my blower bikes with a switch to do that so I can turn the fan on before the sending unit kicks in. Let us know what happened. ::)
I don't have my service manual with me. Please... a hint where the sending unit might be located?

TIA

G

·
Right next to the receiving unit?? Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously, do you think that when you installing those trick air honrs that maybe something got a little loose and then worked itself totally loose during your ride? That was the first thing I thought of when i read your post. I know it is a pain to have to take off all the tupperware especially away from home, but just a thought. Hope the solution comes quickly to you.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bruno said:
Seriously, do you think that when you installing those trick air honrs that maybe something got a little loose and then worked itself totally loose during your ride? That was the first thing I thought of when i read your post.
Bruno is one smart dude. :bigthumbsup:

Apparently the connector for the fan wiring fell down against the fan cage somehow. When the fan turned on during the super-hot weather we've been having, it wore through the wiring and shorted it in a matter of minutes. I could see this immediately as soon as I took the reservoir off and started tracing the wires. Spliced her back up, and good as new.

Man, it is nerve-wracking as hell having something weird like this happen so far away from home.

And Bruno, my apologies for not touching base with you sooner, but the stuff you sent came the day before the trip, so THANK YOU very much. Put it on there and it works very slick. Just in the nick of time too, as the gym sock was just about shredded. ;)

Thanks again, and congrats for winning the prize for solving the fan mystery. :super:

G

·
Glad to help bro. It was a shot in the dark, but glad you are up and running. Hope the rest of your trip is trouble free and smooooooooooth running. If you run through PA, toot that air horn for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts