M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have had a crazy amount of rain here lately.

Enough to keep the 9 in the garage for the better part of a week.

Well, in getting back out on the roads, many little back roads have a good deal of cinders washed out onto the road.

Not all that uncommon, but what is uncommon is the amount and frequency I have been seeing them.

Well, I headed out for a ride today and got to this little back road with no painted lines and plenty of very tight corners (marked either 15 or 'slow').

I came around one such corner marked 15 doing just about 40, which puts you in a steady right-side peg drag.

I am deep enough in the corner that my line has me just about at the right shoulder.

Well, what comes into sight?

You guessed it.

My entire lane has been washed over with a nice layer of rather fine cinders.

Let's run through the components of the 'oh poo!' that opened my eyes wide: Doing 40mph, dragging right peg feeler, braking is not really an option, there is nowhere to go, I am going through those cinders DRAGING A PEG AT 40!

Oddly, I had time for two very out of place thoughts: 1) Damn, I like these jeans and it will be a shame to shred them; 2) Looks like new paint and a pipe are in my future.

Completely convinced I was going down, I hit the cinders.
-front wheel kicked quite a bit, but I got that under control before it became an issue.
-rear wheel starts to slide out.

Now, it has been 19 years since I have done any serious dirt bike riding, but with zero higher level brain function on the matter, I found myself standing on the pegs in true dirt bike slide fashion.

My slide lasted for what seemed like forever. (In real time, maybe 2 seconds) I was actually aware of my boot being pressed between the now rather folded up peg and the pipe, with the heel of my boot as firmly on the ground as if I were standing.

I began to think -'I am going to pull this out' and then as the slide went on 'why is nobody behind me taping this?'

I clear the cinder wash and am well into the oncoming lane when I hear the beautiful chirp of my rear tire catching pavement.

That quick, the bike was back to upright, just in time to set up for the next left turn.

I stopped for gas shortly afterward and looked at my feeler. Usually the grind marks go front to back. My marks were from center almost straight out. With a smirk on my face, I thought - 'well, I will need to post a picture of that when I get home'. However, by the time I got home, I had new grind marks in the more typical direction, so I have no picture for you guys to see.:dontknow:

Ok, so there was some luck involved, but I must say:

The 9 kicks buttowsky!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Captivating. Your a good story teller!

I remember riding with a buddy in Louisiana... Same thing, the grass washed out on the road, I was fortunate enough to be behind him. He was coming to a stop sign and was going about 10 mph when he hit his front brakes too hard (while amidst the grassy stuff). Needless to say, he didn't make it out as good as you did.

It's things like this that make you kick yourself for not wearing a helmet cam.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Captivating. Your a good story teller!

I remember riding with a buddy in Louisiana... Same thing, the grass washed out on the road, I was fortunate enough to be behind him. He was coming to a stop sign and was going about 10 mph when he hit his front brakes too hard (while amidst the grassy stuff). Needless to say, he didn't make it out as good as you did.

It's things like this that make you kick yourself for not wearing a helmet cam.
I fully expected the same result as your buddy.

If there is any lesson to the results of the two compared, I would think it is: just accept when braking is not an option.

Had I even reached for my brake, I am sure I would have gone down as I expected to.

Ride safe.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Great story LOL

Ya have a way with words. Mine isn't as elaborate, but way back when I had the 3 cylinder 2 stroke 750CC kawie and it was fast. I was coming home in typical fashion, HAULING A$$ and I came around a 40 mph corner about 80 and couldn't hold my lane. I drifted to the uncoming lane and kept drifting to that side of the road with a little gravel. I look up and here is one of those Orange 4'X6' barricades. No time to stop so I just kept on light gas and commenced to go right through that dang thing. Didn't lay it down but my knuckles and shins took a while to heal up . Beat them up pretty good. Amazing I can even remember those days.

·
Registered
643 Posts
repeat after me.

my phone is a camera i do not need to wait til i get home to take a picture :joke:

luckily for me i don't as a rule ride as aggressive as you do , was out on sunday and went to go under a narrow underpass that exits to a semi-blind right hander , the lane ended up having a few large cinder patches that had gathered. I was however going at such a pace that i could change my line and get my right leg out to point to it ,to warn the rider behind me.

the heavy rains even flushed some cinders into "flat" intersections , where i haven't seen them all summer. I still think if they put them down they should be required to at least try and vacuum them up when winter is over

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
repeat after me.

my phone is a camera i do not need to wait til i get home to take a picture :joke:
I know:redfaced:, but it was running tunes and gps.

luckily for me i don't as a rule ride as aggressive as you do
What do you mean - 'Aggressive'?

It is a cruiser and it keeps me well into the tame range.

That is what I tell my wife and when you talk to her, that will be what you tell her as well.

That is if you know what is good for, well me;)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Square, Don't know what you do for a living, but writing is a fall back if you are interested. Loved the blow by blow. I assume cinders are rocks?

As I have mentioned in other threads, they gravel the roads here in winter but the stuff lingers around forever. Care must be used for you never know what curve will put you on your butt.

It stays on the edges, down the center of the lanes (between car wheels where most bikes ride) down the stripes, and worst at intersections where you come up and put your feet down and no footing, slip and bust your butt if not careful. I have pulled groin muscles trying to get a footing as my feet slip and slide in all directions.
I think what you are calling gravel, I am calling cinders.

I think crushed stone goes - sand, cinder, gravel, stone, rocks as it increases in size. If anyone can be more specific, please do.

Think cinder block and the crushed stone formed into them is what they spread on our roads mixed with salt so we have something to drive on until the salt melts the snow.

Come spring, the salt is gone, but the cinders just lay in wait for a quick shower to migrate to the road again, with their only apparent purpose being to cause mayhem for bikers.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
my question is if you knew you had a ton of rain and you knew the corners could be and WERE bad WHY PUSH IT?? :dontknow:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
my question is if you knew you had a ton of rain and you knew the corners could be and WERE bad WHY PUSH IT?? :dontknow:
That was my thought as well.

I ride as hard as anybody but right after downpours, you gotta back it down a few notches.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's about a 700lb "dirt bike" you were drifting there Square!!! :bigthumbsup: I'll bet the seat was kind of bunched up there where you sit!! I've had a couple of similar things happen over the years but not with a 700 lb bike!!
I don't remember how much the old GS 1000L weighed, but I had locked up the brakes, got it sideways, "dirt bike style", and left peg folded up, when some fool ran a Stop sign at a cross street in front of me. I was just about to let it go, when the driver looked my way. He must have stepped on the gas, because he got out of the way just before I hit him. I got it back up, was standing on the pegs, flipping him off with both hands, yelling at the top of my lungs before I crossed the intersection!! Took me 20 min. to pry myself off the seat. I had a really good grip!! Not the first, nor the last, time I had a guardian angel ridding with me...

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
Around here cinders are the remnants of burned coal, which they do use occasionally on the roads. For the most part they use sand and/or finally crushed stone though. Either one can be found in abundance on the inside corners of curves well into the summer, so I try to avoid tight inside corners.

We had hard rains last week and had a lot of sand washed onto the road. Fortunately around her the dirt is mostly sand and a reddish color so it's easier to see on the road.

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
Yeah, I thought the same thing. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was my thought as well.

I ride as hard as anybody but right after downpours, you gotta back it down a few notches.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Yeah, I thought the same thing. :dontknow:
It had been 2 days since it had rained.

I had never seen anything wash into the road on this corner, so even expecting washes, I would not have expected one there.

My ride had just started and it was on this ride that I discovered just how much more frequent the washes were than normal.

I was out the night before and had seen washes, but it had not seemed like any unusual spots.

You can bet that every corner after that one was approached with far more caution as now I had some warning that I should be expecting washes in spots I had never seen them before.

Plus, 40 was really not pushing it. It was just a steady peg drag on a clean line through the corner.

·
Registered
643 Posts
:doorag:gotcha,

I know:redfaced:, but it was running tunes and gps.

What do you mean - 'Aggressive'?

It is a cruiser and it keeps me well into the tame range.

That is what I tell my wife and when you talk to her, that will be what you tell her as well.

That is if you know what is good for, well me;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts