M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally put either 87 or 89 octane in mine at Sams the other day.
Anyone really up on octane?
That is, will lower octane hurt my baby?
Don't hear any pinging and don't notice any power difference (up to 110).
I do know I like the lower price but will I get the same gas mileage?
Bradbike

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
run the cheapest gas 87 octane, bike should run fine on it. If for some odd reason it pings
then go to the next highest octane.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
man00 said:
87 octane and no pings..then anything else would be a waste of money..IMO
Until your engine dies because theres a huge honking hole in one of those super huge pistons. :(
Also, the piston and cyclinder sleeves / rings for these bikes are made using a special coating that zuki developed for the GSXR's, I'm not certain, but I would bet you dollars to donuts that it doesn't like lower octane. Just my opinion, but is an extra $1.00 a tank (about what it would be here) REALLY worth the risk of messing up the motor on your bike?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
DHandyman said:
Until your engine dies because theres a huge honking hole in one of those super huge pistons.  :(
Also, the piston and cyclinder sleeves / rings for these bikes are made using a special coating that zuki developed for the GSXR's, I'm not certain, but I would bet you dollars to donuts that it doesn't like lower octane. Just my opinion, but is an extra $1.00 a tank (about what it would be here) REALLY worth the risk of messing up the motor on your bike?
There are no cylinder sleeves on our 109's! The aluminum jugs are simply bored to size and then subjected to a special plating process which applies chrome to the wall of the jugs. The same process is used on the C-90 Suzuki's.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Preignition (even unnoticed) is very bad for an engine (often fatal) and I would not take the chance with my personal bike. My VZR 1800 0wner's mamual states that our motorcycle requires a premium unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump octane rating of 90. Suzuki goes on to state that we should use premium unleaded gasoline under all conditions. I'm not willing to see whether they're just kidding me.
Jer

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm sure any 10:5 to 1 compression engine will ping on 87 octane.  You don't notice it a motorcycle because the exhaust, wind, and other vehicles are creating way more noise that the pinging sound.  Maybe the ECU will retard the timing to compinsate for the lower octane but performance and power would be lost. 

I've seen the results of preignition and it's not pretty.   Stick to manufacture recommendation on this one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts