M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Magazine say's 91 because 10.5 compression. Mamma car has 10.5 and runs just fine ,no ping on 87.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Says 90+ on the sticker on the bike. Berfore I peeled it off that is. :)

I've been getting a nasty knock since i drove my new 109 home today. I wonder if the crappy dealer put cheap gas in for there "free" first tank of gas.

I guess we'll See when i re fill in the next day or so.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Some parts of the country have better fuel than others. If your not detonating then you can lower the octane but if you're putting in 4 gallons at a time how much are you going to save? Why bother, just put in the good stuff. ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
My Aussie handbook says to use minimum 95 octane here which is equivalent to 91 octane in USA. I use premium ultra which is 98 octane. Bike runs real well and I don't mind spending the extra few cents.

G

·
yep agree,,@almost 3.00 a gallon for reg unleaded,heck what another few cents,...a gallon....Actaully 2.97 a gallon reg unleaded.Geez.... :eek: Guess I be ridin the bike Everywhere.... :D

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
traysvega said:
yep agree,,@almost 3.00Â a gallon for reg unleaded,heck what another few cents,...a gallon....Actaully 2.97 a gallon reg unleaded.Geez.... :eek: Guess I be ridin the bike Everywhere.... :D
I'll bet it is over $3.00 now. Fuel around here has been going up pennies a day for the past month.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I found out a good booster does help bike runs much better on 91 with booster then it does on 93 without just my experience.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've run my bike on mostly 91 octane (which is mid-grade) at my favorite station. Never had a problem with detonation. I've had to run 89 octane in it a few times when traveling & unable to find a station with anything higher...no problems then either. I'll stick with the 91 octane, which was a massive $2.78 at that station yesterday.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
I have been running 95 here in SOUTH AFRICA and find the bike to be much smoother, would like to try an octane booster just for interest.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
cbxer55 said:
I am not taking any chances.
I have always used premium, even on bikes that do not require it.
I use Sinclair 93 in my M109R and Sandy's M50.
.20 cents extra a gallon, 5 gallons = $1.00 more.
Big Deal! :D
Yeah taking chances are for those who can afford the concequence.

When I was in my 20's, about 30 years ago, I had a 69 MachI Mustang. I came stock with a 390 engine. I pulled that engine and installed a 427 ford engine I had built, it had 13:1 compression. I use to go to the airport and by the blue aviation fuel (Which I think was 125 octane) and mixed it 50/50 with Union 76 Premium, back in the days when you could still by leaded fuel and you could get 100 octane. Well to make a long story short, one day I needed gas and thought to myself, self, just get some 76 premium and take it easy until you can get to the airport.

Well, on the way home from the 76 station, some guy in a V8 Vega challenged me at a red light. Before my common sense kicked in, I was all over the throttle and before I knew what happened, I broke a piston, which in turn galled the cylinder, to the point where it could not be bored to clean it up.

You can never tell when testosterone will out perform your common sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts