M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night of bike night in my area, so I took out the baffles and rode up with a couple friends. One has a custom built, and the other a Mod Yamaha Warrior. When they were behind me the said the sound was obnoxiously loud. I like the Dragster, but they are loud, especially without the baffle.

Anyhow... When we were getting ready to leave the event, we all started out bikes inculding a few other customs around us. I think mine was the loudest!!! Anyone else riding without the baffles? If so how do you like it?

·
Registered
775 Posts
i did a similiar mod a few years back. when i rode i thought it sounded cool. didn't take long for friends to stop riding with me. they said they couldn't stand to be behind me. it was deafening. i wound up getting a new set of pipes put on. dragster style and everyone loved it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here, one of my buddies pulled ahead of me beacuse it was deafening. I like the pipes, I think they sound cool but are just a bit loud with or without the baffle. I'm going to keep them on for a while since I just got em. I'll probally end up changing them over to something a little bit quieter.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'll tell ya, i don't know where you are; but, here in Mississippi they've started enforcing noise ordinances. loud radios, cars, motorcycles, the works. actually know a guy that already got a ticket for his pipes. is only 'bout 100$ fine , but it's still 100$.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm sorry, but I think that people that ride with no baffles have a serious case of the "look at me's". Not to mention the bad image being presented to everyone that you pass, and annoy. It may be just me, but I like trying to protray motorcycles in a positive light. But it's your bike and you do what you like.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
During a recent benefit ride, I had the 'pleasure' of riding (for a few miles) behind a guy on a Titan Phoenix with straight pipes or debaffled ones (not sure which). It made me realize that maybe I don't really want my pipes any louder. I couldn't wait to get aroud him because it gave me a headache. Between the beating in my ears to the rich exhaust smell, it damn near made me nauseous. I have by stock end plates and two inner walls drilled. It's louder, but no where near obnoxious. I'm perfectly happy not being obnoxious to other riders behind me.

Edited to add: I hadn't read the replies when I responded. I figured I would be going 'against the grain' with my stance. looks like I'm not alone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DF - There is no way to know what the pipes are going to sound like until you order them and put em on. I bought the pipes because of some of the post's on the board and I like they way the looked. Of course I like attention... SO HELL YEAH LOOK AT ME !!! That's all part of the mod. I have a bad ass bike with a bad ass sound... DEAL WITH IT!!!! I just think they are a little loud with or without the baffle.

If you don't like attention, leave your's stock!!! It's not for everyone.

·
Registered
775 Posts
i understand their point. i think they're talking about those guys that mod out the exhaust so loud it's literally deafining. i've heard a few of those and couldn't believe the guys were even riding them. i don't think they understand the kind of pipes you're talking about.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I took my baffles of my dragsters , but it didn't take me long to put them back in . it was pretty darn loud . I have noticed that even baffled , they are getting louder .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Loud pipes are nice and they have their place, but do you guy ever consider the hearing loss associated with the excessive sounds. I want cagers to know I am around, however I don't want to lose my hearing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ron - I haven't tried turning them around yet and based on Lamonts post, I'm not sure I'm going to try that. I might try the washer trick. It's only a matter of time before the law-dogs catch up with ya. Like I said, I like the dragsters and Cobra did design them to be loud... no way around it. I will say that I think they sound better without the baffle... it gives them a deeper sound :bigthumbsup:

Next mod is the fender eliminator and I think I'm going to the PCIII.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I know they may be loud and obnoxious but they can save you from getting ran over... I don't know how many times someone has tried to pull in my lane on the highway.

·
Registered
665 Posts
After turning the baffles around,and wrapping them with glass,they sound deeper,not high pitched. My riding buddy's say they aren't loud when riding behind me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ron - Do you have a sound bite?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts