M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
anybody know how to install them cobra dragsters (this i know) and reroute or remove the O2 sensors?? (this i don't know)
i have an EU bike and there in the exhausts.
would love to install them but i dont know how its going to mess with the bike if i dont reconnect them sensors.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hi again,
got some info from my tech (not a suzuki tech) he says i have to put them o2 sensors back in the new pipes. ::) seems that the american bikes have a map for the fuel etc wich sets your carbs. well for the eu bike the o2 sensors do that (setting the carbs). we have got much more ups and downs in our weather :mad: and that is why we cannot go with just a map. anyhoo, he said it is not a big deal to get those working on the cobra's we just have to drill a hole (in the cobra's :confused: ) and put the o2 sensors back in and that will be it. we will have to take the original pipes off first so we can see how big of a hole we have to drill, and how its attached to the pipes.
when we do this i will take photos off it and post. :bigthumbsup: (can take some time, because i got 3 weeks off from work :D and i am going to drive my baby around)
greetz

·
Registered
721 Posts
glenn-iocb said:
hi again,
got some info from my tech (not a suzuki tech) he says i have to put them o2 sensors back in the new pipes. ::) seems that the american bikes have a map for the fuel etc wich sets your carbs. well for the eu bike the o2 sensors do that (setting the carbs). we have got much more ups and downs in our weather :mad: and that is why we cannot go with just a map. anyhoo, he said it is not a big deal to get those working on the cobra's we just have to drill a hole (in the cobra's :confused: ) and put the o2 sensors back in and that will be it. we will have to take the original pipes off first so we can see how big of a hole we have to drill, and how its attached to the pipes.
when we do this i will take photos off it and post. :bigthumbsup: (can take some time, because i got 3 weeks off from work :D and i am going to drive my baby around)
greetz
Do us all a favor ??

Please post a few pics of those carbs while your at it !! :bigthumbsup: ::)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi there,
what i mean is the original O2 sensors have to be put into the aftermarket pipes (in this case the cobras) to get the bike working again.
these o2 sensors are located at the top of the exhaust pipes and the manual shows how to disconnect them from the pipes to remove the complete original pipes. so we will have to remove the original pipes and disconnect the cables from the o2 sensors, remove the o2 sensors out of the original exhaust, drill holes into the cobras (one in each pipe) insert the o2 sensors into the cobras, install the cobras like lamont showed in his how to, and also reconnect the wires to the o2 sensors. we do not have to disconnect or connect or change anything to the carbs. so i cannot take pics of the carbs or so because we will not be working on them only on the exhaust itself.

the are the o2 sensors i mean, and they are both screwed into the pipes.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Umm on one hand i believe we are talking about the M109R but then "Carbs" were mentioned so now i have to believe we are not talking about the M109R!!! since the 109 is Fuel Injected unless the EU version is Carbureted. But since we are talking O2 Sensor i will assume Fuel injected. In any case I have never done an O2 sensor swap on a bike but i have done them on cars and trucks and yes it is pretty much that simple with the exception that you should try and place them in the same area of the new pipes as they were in the old pipes and also very importamt make sure there are no leaks around the Hole or Receiver nut that you are welding into the pipe. An Air leak in this area can and will cause a false reading and probably an error to be registered

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok you got me on the techtalk with the carbs, it IS a M1800R (eu version of the M109R).
but still you get the point, i think that my english/american is still better than your dutch. :D (i am a belgian)
i tried to translate what i meant with the "carbs" i didnt know the correct term was just fuel injection. :read: :redfaced:
ill try to put the O2 sensors about the same place where they are now, mainly because the cables wont give extra slack and there isnt to much extra space in the engine compartiment to put these sensors somewhere else.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
yes, the 02 sensors do not adjust over wide parameters just like on the cars they still have to tune them in with a chip or a programmer like the PC111. The reason the EU/Aussie bikes have the o2 sensors believe it or not is emissions. used to be ours were tighter but now theirs is stricter than ours. the only bikes that did not get the o2 sensors were all US both CA and 49 state and Canada. the 02 sensors clean up the exhaust better especially during cold start up. The pipe manufacturers should start making the pipes with the o2 bungs welded in but he might have to wait a while for them to come out but then he could just swap out pipes and plug the o2 sensor in the new pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts