M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here is my understanding. If you mod the exhaust only your good, or if you mod the Intake only your good. But if you mod both the Exhaust and the Intake you need a programmer to correct for a lean condition?
It seems to me, that if you leave the O2 sensor intact, then said O2 sensor should cause the computer to correct for a lean condition caused by increased air flow through the engine?
If not? Then why not? Isn't that what an O2 sensor does?:-\

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
You would be correct, you should not need a fuel management system. Because you ECM will change the fuel mixture to the optimum setting. But if you want more performance, you would have to re-flash the ECM or install a fuel management system. That is why I wish my bike had an O2 sensor.

·
Registered
547 Posts
OK, here is my understanding. If you mod the exhaust only your good, or if you mod the Intake only your good. But if you mod both the Exhaust and the Intake you need a programmer to correct for a lean condition?
It seems to me, that if you leave the O2 sensor intact, then said O2 sensor should cause the computer to correct for a lean condition caused by increased air flow through the engine?
If not? Then why not? Isn't that what an O2 sensor does?:-\
When you change out your stock exhaust don't the O2 sensors go with the old exhaust? In other words I don't believe the aftermarket pipes have bungholes for O2 sensors thus the need for the processor if you change both the intakes and exhaust.:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
When you change out your stock exhaust don't the O2 sensors go with the old exhaust? In other words I don't believe the aftermarket pipes have bungholes for O2 sensors thus the need for the processor if you change both the intakes and exhaust.:dontknow:
You can always add the bung holes to the new pipes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You can always add the bung holes to the new pipes.
I agree but most of the time nobody does. I am just now going to have a O2 put back on my swepts for an Autotune, but other than that I see no need for them if I using a PCIII.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
I agree but most of the time nobody does. I am just now going to have a O2 put back on my swepts for an Autotune, but other than that I see no need for them if I using a PCIII.
True, but to me the hard part is really finding a tuner that is good at what they do. And a custom map will set you back $100's. As long as you can hide the 02 I would go that way.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
This is not 'what I know' just 'what I have always thought':

I thought stock o2 sensors just watched the mixture on a pass/fail basis. If the mixture is off, the sensor does not work with a system to correct it, it just turns an idiot light on.

Somebody correct me here if what I have always thought was wrong.

·
Registered
547 Posts
True, but to me the hard part is really finding a tuner that is good at what they do. And a custom map will set you back $100's. As long as you can hide the 02 I would go that way.
I fully agree that's why I am moving from the PCIII to the PCV with Autotune. If someone is purchasing new I would not bother with the PCIII just buck up and buy the PCV with Autotune and your out about the same amount of cash as a PCIII and the first custom map but from then on anytime you change your equipment you don't have to pay a tuner.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
stock narrow band o2 sensors only work in closed loop function, during warm idle and steady state cruise conditions. any change from those conditions and you are in open loop and running off a map like a pc does. a wide band o2 will let the bike auto tune like the new pc5 does but only uses one o2 port and has to be in one or the other pipe or the collector on a 2-1. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stock narrow band o2 sensors only work in closed loop function, during warm idle and steady state cruise conditions. any change from those conditions and you are in open loop and running off a map like a pc does. a wide band o2 will let the bike auto tune like the new pc5 does but only uses one o2 port and has to be in one or the other pipe or the collector on a 2-1. :bigthumbsup:
That sounds authoritative. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i run roadhouse,when i got these, roadhouse welded the bungs in for my

o2 sensors as per pictures i sent them,being in california i took it that

o2 sensors were the normal as per europe!anyways, runs smooth(thats 2 o2s)

thanks too roadhouse!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Totaly agree, i run a dyno centre and if we do any air or exhaust changes with bikes that have o2 sensors (which most in the uk do) it will still have a bad fueling line, you need some kind of fueling module and pref a custom map and dont run the o2 sensors :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Am I missing something? I thought US model 9's didn't have O2 sensors :dontknow:
California is no longer part of the US, we are now called (The Peoples Republic of California). And our government is controlled by Mexico.

Goodby sweet America!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
California is no longer part of the US, we are now called (The Peoples Republic of California). And our government is controlled by Mexico.

Goodby sweet America!
no that sir is funny, oh and arizona is the same way. i call it northern mexico

G

·
The U.S. may have anexed and taken over, but the indigenious people have always stayed loyal to Mexico. Their long term plan is to overwhelm us with numbers being as they couldn't win the war.

Don't look now, but they are winning.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had to smog my 10 year old deisel truck this year for the 1st time, not to mention my registration for said truck was over $400.00. Thanks Arnold, Fxxxin traiter!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts