M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I arrived in Haast it was getting dark and had started to rain (probably the wetest area in NZ, so it had to happen). Excellent accom. at backpacker/motel unit and I awoke to a fine day, ready for the next stage of the ride over the Haast Pass. There was no petrol in this little town so I was a bit concerned as to whether I would make it to the next fill station. After mostly riding the 109 I had forgotten how far the lower end of the petrol guage would take me.

Roads are in good condition and there are plenty of corners for those that like travelling out of vertical. Being the wet side of the island the roads are lined with pristine native bush and in some areas the bush almost canopy's the road.

And more of these neat bridges that happen apon you around corners everywhere

The watershed here is pretty phenomenal (you may have noticed the size of some of the drainage grates on the sides of the road in earlier pics) rivers, waterfalls and mountain streams are everywhere.....these must be spectacular during heavy rain periods.

The Haast Pass goes around Mt Brewster (2423m) and you leave Mt Aspiring Nat Park at Makaroa..remembered best by me for having petrol (phew..I made it!)
Still beautiful bush scenery which next gets punctuated with views of Lake Wanaka (next stop)

I would have liked to have stitched these next two shots together with panorama software (but can't find the disc that came with a previous camera)
I'll have to let you use your imagination here!

And just when I was about 'all laked out' the first view of Lake Hawea appears

Then Wanaka for lunch

this is the view from the main street in Wanaka

I get some very sad news (text) in Wanaka that my niece has severed her spine in a fall, so I change direction and head inland (North again) to do a figure 8 through Arthur's Pass then home again....honestly I just had to see it again and I was hoping to get some better shots of my little mate the Weka on the road.

We are on the dry side of the ranges again and scenery looks like it has been nuked.

Irrigation schemes for local agriculture

OK..I'm out of the hills, feel I have enough photos and the roads just before Omarama offer 10miles unobstructed view, dead straight and a guy in a V8 Comodore has just passed me.
You guessed it...time to 'decoke' the FJR!
(Now you understand that the next comments are purely fantasy and I don't speed!!!!)

Well at 200km/h I try another twist of the throttle and am surprised by with the 'horses' still being made by this motor (it jumps forward here) and I run out of courage at close to 8000rpm. (I'm too old for this and to young to die) so I 'wash off' most of the speed and look to see where the Comodore is (now a little spec in the mirror) to look up and see a car coming towards me.
With polaroids behind the polycarbonate helmet visor, it is hard to see what the colour is as their windshields flicker from magenta to blue with the prismatic effect in the sun.
OOHHHHH....NOOO! It's a Police Car and I am being flagged to pull over.

144/100 ......(40kmph above the speed limit is instant licence disqualification).

Southern hospitality rules again and the female officer says she will write it at 139 so I keep my licence!...Great! ...But 50 demerit points and $400 fine.

Then it occurs to me, I have a few already from the GTR and the new 50 might make me top 100 points and licence goes automatically..

This thought will preoccupy me for the rest of my SLOW trip north.

How can I be impressed by scenery after that?...and then.....

(Again, I will have to rely on your imagination to stitch the two photos into a panorama)

This is Mt Cook (3753m)Â topping the distant ranges.

Camera is put away, and I head towards Springfield again.

(sorry this map is so pathetic, but all I have)
Wanaka (#43)....to Omarama (#42)..to Fairlie (#40)..to Springfield (about half way between Christchurch and Greymouth (#35))

Tomorrows ride will be northern West Coast...Greymouth ..Westport ..Murchison.

In an attempt to hold your interest, you got 'crime' today.......don't miss tomorrow:.."harley davidsons" and 'SEX'!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Man you're killing me with this scenery. Great photos! Makes me want to travel bad! Thanks again :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jazzman said:

"Your imagination" done. Not perfect. Just a quick join in Photoshop.

We hope the best for your niece.
Thanks Jazzman..nice job with the splicing of the photos!
Can you do this one please?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
There are some differences in contrast and colorimetry in these two. This is about it without spending a whole lot of time. Hope it's ok.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
beautiful. you're lucky to be able to make that ride.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jazzman said:
There are some differences in contrast and colorimetry in these two. This is about it without spending a whole lot of time. Hope it's ok.

Nice job... I was hand holding this one and realised the 'panning' was probably scewed also....thanks very much!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts