M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stayed in a little country pub in Springfield (not a lot else there)..very friendly lot.... good meal, couple of beers, shower and clean bed for about $50 (takes a lot of beating)

Head off early in the morning to Athur's Pass. NZ has big changes in climate and landscape as you cross from E to W ..here is the first views of the high country hills (on the DRY side) as you approach the Alps from the East.

Reach the Arthur's Pass township for lunch to be greeted by Kea's (mountain parrots) that will steal anything (including your food) if you're not careful..famous for damaging cars parked in the ski-fields..they rip vinyl roofs, strip door rubber, wiper blades etc...anything they can wrestle of a vehicle.

Could have spent all day with these birds..just amazing.. but time to move on.

Saw a bird I had never seen on the side of the road and stopped for a look..from the yellow paint on the road some other tourist had stopped to look also and been hit from behind. After a few minutes this little guy was coming up to my camera for a look. Turned out to be a 'WEKA' or bush hen..apparently quite common in this part of the country.

The camera flash reflecting off his eyes is why they look white.

Through the pass to Otira (this how NZ looked in the early/mid 1900's)

Alpine lakes start to appear as you get close to the 'wet' West Coast

turned south at the Coast and headed towards Haast..great fast roads but you have to ready for these one lane bridges that I really like..

Passed Franz Josef Glacier (here's the township)

on to Fox Glacier..here's a shot of the glacier from a tourist track lookout

Arrived in Haast about 6pm and the shower and bed felt pretty good..doing about 5-600 km/ day I am getting to know the seat of the bike.

Tomorrow accross the Haast pass to Wanaka

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. Looks like a great ride.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WA109 said:
WOW!!!!! Beautiful place!!!! Awesome photography too. Thank You!!!Â
What bike are you riding!?
Thanks...I've never been down there before and honestly the photo's don't even come close to doing the place justice..I'd just put the camera away and there would be something around the next corner. I didn't get to Fiordland National Park, which is further South, (family problems meant the trip was curtailed a bit) but apparently everything is BIGGER and MORE MAJESTIC down there!
Another trip sometime soon to see the rest.....but the Arthur's Pass/Haast Pass loop is breathtaking. I went through Arthur's Pass twice (in a figure 8) because it was too much to take in one trip. The bike is an 04/FJR1300 Yamaha.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Beautiful landscapes. Looks like a wonderful place, my kind of place. I can see why all of my favorite movies and television shows are filmed in New Zealand.

Thanks for sharing.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Those pics are spectacular..send us more!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Beautiful Country! Thanks for sharing the photos!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
very cool stuff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts