M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you believe this? The troopers in this state are out of control.

Special to The Post-Journal: SHERIDAN — Bradley A. Horton, 25, of Silver Creek was shot and killed early Sunday morning after what was described as a vehicle and traffic stop by New York State Police officers.

At about 12:40 a.m., two state troopers on a routine patrol stopped two individuals whom they observed operating an all-terrain vehicle and an off-road dirt bike on Center Road near Waite Road in the town of Sheridan without wearing helmets.

Major Michael T. Manning, Commander of New York State Police Troop A said that after the stop, the individual on the ATV, later identified as Horton, sped away from the scene dragging one of the state troopers for a distance of one mile down the roadway. Investigators believe that the trooper fired an undisclosed number of rounds during the incident, striking Horton.

Horton was later found in a field off West Sheridan Road by members of the Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Department.

He was taken by ambulance to Brooks Memorial Hospital in Dunkirk and then flown by helicopter to Hamot Medical Center in Erie, Pa., where he later died of his injuries.

The state police officer, who’s name has not been released, was also taken to Brooks Memorial Hospital where he was treated and released for multiple abrasions and bruises. Major Manning stated that the officer returned to duty after the shooting.

‘‘Both officers remained on duty, they concluded their shift and will return to duty,’’ Manning said. ‘‘The second officer was pursuing the motorist on the dirt bike who had initially been handcuffed and took off on foot. The trooper was trying to arrest that individual while the other trooper was trying to arrest the individual on the ATV.’’

No information on the individual operating the dirt bike was disclosed.

‘‘It was nothing more than a traffic stop,’’ District Attorney David Foley said. ‘‘It was nothing more than what was initiated. Obviously the evidence suggests that at least the operator of the ATV decided that instead of cooperating with the troopers, he left the scene, which of course, at that point, escalates the situation slightly and gave rise to the one trooper placing the operator of the dirt bike, at least temporarily, into custody until the situation was resolved.’’

‘‘This was nothing more than a traffic stop on a highway,’’ Manning said, ‘‘Two operators without helmets, that’s all this was, a typical traffic stop.’’

Members of Bradley Horton’s family including his wife, Kelly, were on-hand along with members of the New York State Police and the District Attorney during a press conference held Sunday morning at the Troop T barracks near Exit 59 on the New York State Thruway.

Some family members told Buffalo’s WKBW-TV that they believe police may have mistaken Horton for Ralph ‘‘Bucky’’ Phillips, the fugitive wanted in connection with the shooting of a trooper earlier this month near Elmira.

‘‘They thought it was Bucky,’’ said George Wamsley, Horton’s uncle. ‘‘My nephew’s a tall dark-skinned kid, nice looking kid.’’ Phillips is a 6-foot-tall member of the Seneca Indian Nation.

‘‘He just was wonderful man,’’ his wife said. ‘‘He was my rock, he was my whole world and I’m not really sure what I’m supposed to do without him now.’’

‘‘I want every investigation possible,’’ she said. ‘‘I want every (question) answered.’’

Mrs. Horton said Bradley Horton had served as a U.S. Marine and they had recently been married.

‘‘We haven’t even celebrated our first anniversary,’’ she said. ‘‘He just turned 25. I don’t know, he was just awesome. He was the best guy in the whole world he’s got so many friends, an amazing person. He’d do anything for you.’’

A investigation by members of the State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation along with the Chautauqua County District Attorney’s Office is on-going as well as an investigation by the State Police Internal Affairs Bureau.

Information provided by The Associated Press was used in this report.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Not to belittle this terrible incident...

However it seems the guy was not shot for the failure to wear a helmet, but because he was dragging a police officer.

I do not know the facts (I wasn't there...), therefore will not pass judgment either way.
Was the officer hanging on intentionally so as not to let the guy escape?
Or was he actually caught on the machine and was being dragged intentionally or on purpose?
Or... did the guy actually grab him and drag on purpose.

I assume no body will ever know for sure.

In the end, no matter what actually occurred, it is a terrible thing to happen.

We had the same kind of thing happen here in Austin a year or two ago, think it was a stolen car...
Again, a terrible thing.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Jesus can't swim!
Just because he walked on water doesn't mean He can't swim. ::)

I think your subject line is a little misleading at best. ::)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Pr0wl3r-X said:
Not to belittle this terrible incident...

However it seems the guy was not shot for the failure to wear a helmet, but because he was dragging a police officer.

I do not know the facts (I wasn't there...), therefore will not pass judgment either way.
Was the officer hanging on intentionally so as not to let the guy escape?
Or was he actually caught on the machine and was being dragged intentionally or on purpose?
Or... did the guy actually grab him and drag on purpose.

I assume no body will ever know for sure.

In the end, no matter what actually occurred, it is a terrible thing to happen.

We had the same kind of thing happen here in Austin a year or two ago, think it was a stolen car...
Again, a terrible thing.
+1

A shame all around.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
BAD SUBJECT LINE...YOU ARE PASING JUDGEMENT WITHOUT KNOWING ALL THE FACTS... THESE INCIDENTS HAPPEN IN A HEARTBEAT AND LIFE AND DEATH DECISIONS ARE MADE AT THAT MOMENT. TAKING SOMEONES LIFE IS NEVER EASY NO MATTER WHAT YOU MAY THINK...WE DON'T WEAR IT LIKE A BADGE OF HONOR, WE LIVE WITH THE DECISION AND 2ND GUESS OURSELVES ALL THE TIME...BUT WE DON'T HAVE THE TIME WHEN AN INCIDENT HAPPENS TO ANALYZE THE WAY YOU HAVE DONE AND THEN PASS THE JUDGEMENT YOU HAVE CLEARLY PASSED...

·
Registered
898 Posts
hmmm lets see... i can't wait to hear their reasons for shooting the guy...  another reason to mark in my book for not going to New York...

"Hey look that guy from Texas does'nt have a New York license plate lets shoot him...."  :eek:

khrome

·
Registered
287 Posts
Prowl3r-x has hit on the money.

Horton was shot because the Officer's life was threatened.  Not because he wasn't wearing a helmet.  I find it hard to believe that the Officer purposely hung on for a mile while being dragged.  It sounds more probable that he was either snagged on something or being held by Horton.  Who knows?  The fact of the matter is, Horton should not have tried to flee and most importantly he should have stopped when he felt or saw the officer being dragged.  Tragic indeed, but to post this with the intentions of making the Officers look bad is low, one sided and dirty. :mad:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
If I were dragged a mile, I dont think I would have completed my shift! Was not there just an observation based on info I read here only. :doorag:

G

·
OK here goes....

• He should'nt have been on a street with an ATV and an off road cycle

He should've been wearing a helmet anyway.

He should've taken the ticket and went home.

He chose to run, therefore he was fleeing.

He dragged an LEO behind the ATV, whether intentionally or not, we'll probably never know.

He was shot and died, which is unfortunate for his family. I have no sympathy for him though.

Disobey the law and pay.
I hope nothing at all happens to the LEO who shot him.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sad story......but actions have consequences and he is paying the ultimate price. Police are always in danger of not going home because of the actions of others. I have three brothers in law enforcement and I always tell them, "when it goes down make sure you are the one coming home."

Should have just taken the ticket!!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Oh well we can put this one down as another topic that we can agree to disagree on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on the subject. Having said that I can clearly see that there are a few members who clearly have no use for law enforcement officers. Again that is fine we will never all get along. As for marking reasons for not visting NY that's fine too, We will try and go on without you. To quote the man himself JR lighten up.....

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
TLDR, but I get the jist. So the guy gets shot for speeding off, and dragging an officer of the law behind him for nearly a mile, and the cops are the ones that are out of control? ::) That guy has his own stupidity to thank for his death.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Who knows what happened. The media tells us whatever they want too. We all see that as bikers.

Whatever happened it's sad for all involved. I doubt he was dragged a mile and a normal man it seems would have let go if he was holding on, seems that niether the rider or the cop is strong enough to hold on for that amount of time. I know that if I was getting dragged and thought I might die I would shot the driver to live.

However I wasn't there and just have a little bit of info colored by the press. I am sure that better choices could have been made all around and I hope that the families get through it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
O.K. here's my 2 cents, I've worked protective details with numerous State Police agencies across the Country and they are some of the most professional Officers I've ever seen. It is correct that none of us were there and don't have all the facts, but I will always give the benefit of the doubt to a fellow LEO until presented with evidence to the contrary, I feel 100% confident in saying Mr. Horton would be alive today if he had followed the directions of the Trooper and been a (cooperative subject). It is a fact that "Stupid Hurts" and Mr. Horton contributed to his own death. So whether you agree with the Trooper actions or not, the only question is (did the Trooper follow his agencies use of force policy?)

·
Registered
326 Posts
M109R and General Motorcycle Related topics go here.

G

·
J R said:
I hate stuff like this on boards it divides instead of brings people together.I have a LOT of respect for MOST LEO,s as well as many freinds that are LEO,s and as I said above im not takin sides it was a bad deal for both.I wasent there dont know what happened and I only believe about 1/3 of what i read and hear so there ya go JR,s offical responce :doorag:
JR

I agree with you 100%. Instead of keeping folks focused on the M109 this will start to split people up based on something totally unrelated to the motorcycle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts