M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know how many of you guys may be experiencing numb hands when you ride, but I put up with it for about a year before doing something about it! Posted symptoms on the forum a while back and some suggested a pinched nerve and some suggested a Chiropractor. Turns out it was Carpel Tunnel and the Ortho doc says this is very common in Motorcycle riders because of the tight gripping. Just had surgery on both hands and numbness almost completely gone. Surgery is a breeze and riding should be much more enjoyable! If you are have symptoms, usually thumb, index and middle fingers are the ones that get numb! Feel free to email. Don't ride with the aggravation like I did!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Buy a set of hand-grip exercisers from Iron Mind, along with a set of Expand Your Hand Bands, and forget about getting your wrists slit.

Using these on a daily basis eliminated my problems with numbness, and I did not have to submit to frikkin surgery by some Proctor Quack to resolve the situation.

I am currently up to a #2 gripper, which is the equivalent to 200 pounds. Working on the 2.5. Anyone want to shake hands? ;-)

BTW, a cruise control device works great for letting your right wrist relax every now and then on longer rides. My right wrist is the only one that ever bothered me, due to being stuck in the same position for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Good luck with your recovery and I am glad they were able to come with a diagnosis. I have to say however, that I guess I have never noticed myself holding too tightly onto the handlebars, to me this would mean that I am riding scared. Was your hands the only thing that would go numb? What about your back and your neck from having ridden so tense? :dontknow:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually motorcycle riding just added to my problem. After many years of construction projects, painting and working with vibrating power tools and then the motorcycle riding, it finally took it's toll. Just put on the ISO grips since vibration is a huge factor. I was doing 1000 mile rides over the weekends so it as long and repetitive. CP surgery is very simple. Dr makes a 1/2" incision and cuts the ligiments accross the palm. This frees up the pressure on the medium nerve. Problem solved. If you have it bad, exercise or strength stuff won't fix your problem. Down time is minimal and ZERO pain from out patient proceedure. They don't slit you wide open anymore! I know I am going to enjoy riding alot more in 2011!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had the same problem. At night it would bother me, some pain and numbness. When I rode my right hand would go numb, even on short rides of 15 minutes. Carpal Tunnel usually just affects the thumb and the 2 fingers closest to the thumb.

I went to the doctor, he hit an area on my wrist and said it was carpal tunnel. Had surgery and now everything is fine. The surgery was a little weird he only used a local anesthetic, cut my palm, and started cutting the carpal ligament to release pressure on the median nerve. Kinda weird to not feel pain, although I could feel the pressure as he cut ligaments.

All better now! I am a computer programmer so I type quite a bit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know the feeling! Quality of life sucked! My hands would start out numb after 10 Minutes. But after doing many long rides, they stayed numb. Then it was time to have them fixed. Most of my numbness is just about gone! You experienced exactly what I did! Glad to know your surgery was a success!
I had the same problem. At night it would bother me, some pain and numbness. When I rode my right hand would go numb, even on short rides of 15 minutes. Carpal Tunnel usually just affects the thumb and the 2 fingers closest to the thumb.

I went to the doctor, he hit an area on my wrist and said it was carpal tunnel. Had surgery and now everything is fine. The surgery was a little weird he only used a local anesthetic, cut my palm, and started cutting the carpal ligament to release pressure on the median nerve. Kinda weird to not feel pain, although I could feel the pressure as he cut ligaments.

All better now! I am a computer programmer so I type quite a bit.

·
Registered
791 Posts
yup, I too had the surgery many years ago and am basically numb free!! Before the surgery I would drop eating utensils without realizing I was losing grip, wake up mid sleep and have to hang my arms over the bed to regain feeling plus my back would ache. Hands would even go numb while holding the steering wheel on my way to work! ...it was aggrivating to say the least. After the CT surg, heated grips on past bikes have helped but I eventually had to sell them because my hands/palms/wrists couldn't take the stress of leaning on them. (too much tingling and fatigue) The 9 gives me no issues at all :D :bigthumbsup: ...but I spose I could 'werk' the CT thing and get the wifey to OK grips and risers!!:joke:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I rember that thread ,i didnt realize that the Numbness stayed that long ,but happy to hear they Took care of it so easyly

My hands Cramp sometimes too , But i just let her Go ,and it Goes away :joke:

Thanks For the Update :a18:

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I get numbness in my throttle hand. I guess I squeeze the throttle too tight. Not scared. Not sure why. Don't have cruise control but I have iso grips with the throttle boss. It allows me to wiggle my fingers a bit without letting off of the throttle and that usually makes it go away. Until it comes back. :redfaced:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
Both mine go to sleep on longer rides, and sometimes to the point it gets painful. I try to focus on not gripping so tightly and sometimes that helps, and I also use the Lamonster throttle lock a lot. But eventually it's going to be surgery for me too. I hope yours heals up quickly.

Mine has actually gotten better over the years on everything except riding bikes. It used to be that driving a car would make them numb after just a few minutes but that has disappeared. And typing doesn't seem to bother me as much unless I'm really doing a lot of it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have had this problem for many years only when I ride major numbness I use a break away It's a must for me some days its worse than others.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Numbness.

Bloke.Had the very same problem back in 2002.Diagnosis was C/T.Had the op,and has been great since then.If you can,have the op,you won't regret it. KEZZ.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I guess were all getting older. I have the same problem,but for now I will try the breakway throttle lock

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Don't know how many of you guys may be experiencing numb hands when you ride, but I put up with it for about a year before doing something about it! Posted symptoms on the forum a while back and some suggested a pinched nerve and some suggested a Chiropractor. Turns out it was Carpel Tunnel and the Ortho doc says this is very common in Motorcycle riders because of the tight gripping. Just had surgery on both hands and numbness almost completely gone. Surgery is a breeze and riding should be much more enjoyable! If you are have symptoms, usually thumb, index and middle fingers are the ones that get numb! Feel free to email. Don't ride with the aggravation like I did!
Had the same problem, had my left hand done. Will probably have to do the same on the right.

Now, I have to ask, who wiped your ass while healing, LOL! Cuz you sure as hell didn't.:dontknow:

·
Registered
179 Posts
dunno about operations but those foam slip on grip covers are very good...also a big help is wiggling your pinkys and the next finger...do it all the time it will help with the "death grip" death grip on the track turns into arm pump really fast......heated grips or gloves are very helpful as well...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Currently have the same problem. Carpel tunnel AND Tendonitis in both wrists. Came from 10 years of truck-driving...holding the wheel with my left hand ****ed at a funky angle due to my arm resting on the door armrest, and my right wrist sitting on the gearshift. Put your hands in the same positions for 10+ hours a day for 10 years and the problems will surface.

Didn't really notice any problems til after I joined the Navy. Sleeping in that small as hell rack I would end up folding my arm up under my head. One morning I woke up with pain so bad I couldn't even speak, tears rolling down my face.

The hospital here (Tripler AMC) had me undergo some pretty severe physical therapy. It helped some, but not completely. On the bike my hands will go completely numb after just 15-20 minutes. No death grip, nice and loose. The damage has already been done.

l need surgery...but I hate doctors and hospitals ALMOST as much as I hate dentists. I don't go to hospitals unless bones are broke or blood is gushing. :nojoke: Guess I'll eventually have to suck it up.

Glad things are working out for you bro. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
299 Posts
C/T.

MarlboroLTS.Mate.Don't be a pussy.Have the op.You will be so glad you did.When mine was done back in 2002,I had both hands done,over a 2 month period(1 at a time)after that,there was no more numbness,pins and needles,or pain.The doc who did my OP,used the keyhole technique.The cuts were so small that no stitches were needed.Today,I can't see where he did the cut,so therefore no scarring.Great result.All bull aside my friend,get it done.You will be so :clap2::clap2:.Happy New Year to all. KEZZ.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts