M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been reading about allot of guys on here, sitting at lights or stop signs in neutral and having issue's like idle with TRE Mod or not being able to get back into first gear.

This is not a good riding habit, not trying to be your mother, but I posted some links to the MSF literature to help you out.

:cop:Â :redfaced:Â :cop:Â :eek:

http://www.msf-usa.org/CurriculumMaterials/BRC_Handbook_Read-Only2006.pdf

Page 30 (34 of 64)

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/ERC_Rider_Classroom_Cards.pdf

RAW TAZ

Ride Safe, Ride it like you stole it when you can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I learned long ago that it is important to sit at a intersection ready to go. Stay in first gear, hold position with rear brake, and leave yourself an out. Don't get to close to the vehicle in front of you. I continue to flash brake light and watch rear view mirror. Even if a crash happens two cars behind you, the vehicles can get pushed into you. You have to be ready to go.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Very true. That being said, I have found that the easiest way to get into first from neutral when the bike wants to be stubborn is simply release the clutch and grip it again. Bike will then slip right into first. The only time I do this is when letting the bike warm up in neutral. Sometimes it doesn't want to go into first. A simple let out of the clutch and back in allows me to easily slip it into first.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Good advice from Toneout. I took the advance rider safety course from MSF and they preach to stay in first at lights so you can be ready to go quick if need be. It is a great tip and has worked for me on the street more than once. It's like wearing a seatbelt at first you don't like it and it is just a big pain but after a short time you do IT without even thinking about it. Having said that Double clutching works very good for that neutral to first hangup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts