M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you wondered if there was room in there -- yeah, there's plenty.

This is a Nautilus / Stebel Compact Air Horn (available from Advance Auto Parts, probably other places as well). Comes with the relay.

I wired this in with the OEM wimpy scooter horn so both are working, but you can easily ditch the OEM if you want to.

Loud as HELL. I mean really, REALLY LOUD. A nice $50 mod that could save your life.

G

·
I see the compressor, relay and wiring, but where is the horn? Very nice, clean install btw. From what angle are we seeing this view? I am still a newbie. I started a similar thread a few weeks back and am still interested in this mod. Thanks Wanted, I think you have solved my problem. I love air horns as they get peoples attention. Nothing, I mean nothing gets people's attention like a good ol air horn. If they don't see you, at least they will hear you. :p :p

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dual-tone spiral horn is actually attached to the compressor. They're hidden in this pic. The whole deal is a one-piece unit though. This is looking from the right side with the cover off.

Oh yeah, it'll make the cagers jump fo' shizzle.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice find! thanks. I see 'em all over the net for 35 bucks. the rating is 139dB. that's LOUD.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I can vouch for them they are great. I bought one from www.propad.com but it was $100 but mainly due to the fact they cater to the HD crowd and this one was made to show, it had a chrome cover. I mounted it on the LH side of my 03' Sabre right in between the V ala HD. It will definitely wake up the cagers, only used it twice but it does work. kinda has a Peterbuilt sound to it. the wiring/relay/fuse and instructions were good too. nice to see there is room for it under cover on the M109R as the air intakes restrict placement there. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EAGLEFAN67 said:
Might just to get one of those....easy to install ? I use my horn a bunch to...for those silly cagers.
Heres a clip I found on it for the sound....for those curious.

http://www.bikerhiway.com/images/nautilushorn.mp3
The link didn't work, but to answer your question, the install was pretty easy. The hardest part was getting to the original horn behind the radiator to access the button wiring.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EAGLEFAN67 said:
Hey...my links work...just tried it again , do you have Quicktime ?
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /images/nautilushorn.mp3 on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have always wanted to put an ahooga horn on this bike, you smoke someone and all they hear as you disappear is ahoooogaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know where I can get a modern one??

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just about any auto parts store has those OOGA novelty horns. I've seen them at Advance, AutoZone, O-Reilley's, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wanted,

I found the horn @ my local Advanced but it was without the wiring kit.  I'm gonna order one from Bikerhiway that comes complete.  Could you post a step by step on how/where to tap into the OEM horn?  I could reach in and pull the plug on the exisiting to tap in there, but wanted to see if there was another approach.  Much appreaciated.  Great inexpensive mod!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quiksilvah said:
Wanted,

I found the horn @ my local Advanced but it was without the wiring kit. I'm gonna order one from Bikerhiway that comes complete. Could you post a step by step on how/where to tap into the OEM horn? I could reach in and pull the plug on the exisiting to tap in there, but wanted to see if there was another approach. Much appreaciated. Great inexpensive mod!
You're right, you have to supply your own wire with the kit from Advance, which is what you want as you can cut it to a custom length that way.

To get to the OEM horn, you simple need to remove the tank, neck covers, cowls, and loosen three bolts on the radiator so you can pull it out an inch or two (yeah, real simple ::) :D ). This will allow you to reach the OEM horn wires. I put three-way taps on there so I could keep the OEM horn operational. You just have to be aware that the horn switch is wired to the ground (not the hot) of the horn. There is a wiring diagram included for this with the kit.

Run the wires from the OEM horn under the tank and back to the relay, and you should be cool. Also, make sure to tape up the wires that go to the new horn so they don't contact against the frame. And don't forget to wire a 20 amp fuse inline with it to be safe.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow!!!
Just run wires from old horn to new!!!
Took me 3 hours but I sure learned a lot about how the covers are attached.
Next, the mounting of the horn and wiring. This looks easy.
Might take me about 2 hours.
I am looking forward to new horn. Got it at Advance for about $50.
It will be a Godsend for driving in Florida where you get cut off about every week.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BradBike said:
Wow!!!
Just run wires from old horn to new!!!
Took me 3 hours but I sure learned a lot about how the covers are attached.
Next, the mounting of the horn and wiring. This looks easy.
Might take me about 2 hours.
I am looking forward to new horn. Got it at Advance for about $50.
It will be a Godsend for driving in Florida where you get cut off about every week.
That's about right if you've never taken the covers off before. You have to get rid of a lot of stuff to get behind that radiator.

Another thing I forgot to mention, if you look at my picture, I made my own mounting bracket out of 3/4" x 1/16" aluminum bar stock. That will make it a TON easier to mount.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts