M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We changed the exhaust earlier in the week on my M109. We installed a modified Cobra Speedster long. After riding it for about 700 miles I hate to report that I wish I hadn't done it. The problem is that someone had to do it first and I guess it had to be me.

The stock exhaust has a beautiful sound that is deep but not too loud. With the operating exhaust valve it is probably the best performing at this point in time. The Cobra pipes are louder and are starting to sound like a VTX1800 in my head. In addition my pipes are extremely hot and are not to be touched. But the stock pipes are cooler and you can let your leg touch them without feeling hot.

I just hope that there are a lot better pipes in the pipeline. So far none of these do it for me. I wish we had kept the stock pipes on.

Now I know you think Hal is crazy because we make a few bucks if we sell an exhaust but I think that Suzuki did such a good job on the stock exhaust that we shouldn't automatically assume the aftermarket can do better. After all who has the better engineers working on the exhaust.

Sometimes the aftermarket doesn't do a better job.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i agree hal i kinda like the way the stock pipes sound by the way it was nice seeing you and lamont at americade
:Dsixshooter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sixshooter said:
i agree hal i kinda like the way the stock pipes sound  by the way it was nice seeing you and lamont at americade
   :Dsixshooter
It was good to see you too. I love this bike.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree and disagree. The stock pipes are very well designed. The Cobra pipes are for one reason and one reason only ... to be LOUD. Yes they get hot, but that's what makes riding a bike you've customized yourself great.

there is no better sound than when you blip the throttle on a downshift and get that quick "BRAP----glug-glugg-glug-glug etc....."

the downside- my neighbors know exactly when I'm coming and going whether they to or not. And that's with me coasting and easing it into the garage. :bigthumbsup:

-chad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SpeedStack said:
I agree and disagree. The stock pipes are very well designed. The Cobra pipes are for one reason and one reason only ... to be LOUD. Yes they get hot, but that's what makes riding a bike you've customized yourself great.

there is no better sound than when you blip the throttle on a downshift and get that quick "BRAP----glug-glugg-glug-glug etc....."

the downside- my neighbors know exactly when I'm coming and going whether they to or not. And that's with me coasting and easing it into the garage.  :bigthumbsup:

-chad
I agree, just want to get a pipe that is designed for performance first and sound second. I think that if a pipe provides a lot of HP then the noise will be secondary.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hal:

Thanks for the "honest" and "heads up assessment" on the Cobra's. The stock pipes on the 109 are really top notch and the sound gets a bit louder with increased miles but without being obnoxious. Know all to well from my VTX with V&H's that when you exceed a healthy rumble you really have nothing but noise. That may be acceptable if you were getting great gains in HP and torque.....Lamonts dyno numbers didn't support measurable gains !!! ::) ::) ::) ::)

·
Registered
178 Posts
it does sound better in the lower rpm's , but then again any v-twin sounds like crap in the high revs (except for a duc or rc-51)

·
Registered
898 Posts
dragsters are good for now... no baffles but i leave the end caps on...works best for me.... i have never even heard stock pipes....my bike had the dragsters on before i even picked it up... but i don't care for the look of the stockers .... i like after market look much more ... and will be in the market for a 2 into 1 down the road also... the mortons don't look bad either ....

khrome

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I first saw this bike, one of the features I liked the most was the look of the factory exhaust, especially the way the rear head pipe wraps around the engine. I really doubt that the aftermarket will ever have such a stylish design a decent price. Thanks a lot for the warning, Hal. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I admit...I like the way the stockers look...heavy and big...but sporty at the same time....I made up mind long ago I wasn't changing them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am waiting to see what Vance/Hines has to offer, but I love the look of the stockers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree stock pipes look great. Noise level is just about right for me. Has anyone heard stock pipes from a car along side? A man atempted to change lanes into my lane the other day.I figured cars could hear me if they cant see me . Maybe his radio was on too loud ? I guess loud pipes do save lives. this would be my only reason to change from factory pipes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you considered ceramic coating? Don't have any experience myself, but I've heard it may help on the heat issue...

·
Registered
844 Posts
To my eye, the Morton's look the best so far -- although the picture is rather poor. However, the price is out of this world (when you order all the parts you actually need) -- the wait is a month for shipping (?wonder if they are making these as the orders come in?) -- and there is no way of telling how they sound -- or if they have other issues like those alluded to by Hal with his pipes.

I agree -- I'll wait for now. Even Cobra didn't get it right the first time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hal,

Thanks for your honesty on the Cobra pipes.  I'm waiting for the V&H pipes too.

I find it funny to see a Honda Dealer loving the M109R.  Are you planning on getting a Suzuki Dealership too?

Carl (VTX1652 on the other board)

PS - We met last year at the VTX Record Ride - I tried to sell you a ticket for VTX1800F  :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Personally, I love what Suzuki did with the exhaust. Loud enough to be heard, and low enough to have a very unique sound. The looks are spot on as well; Not a giant sewer pipe like the Warrior, and not hanging way out to the side the the VTX's. :bigthumbsup:

I have absolutely no intentions of swapping them out!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Here Here... I commend you for your honesty. It's hard to spend a pile of cash and then admit you may have made a mistake. I too prefer the stock pipes since I downloaded a sound bite of the Cobra dragsters from this site. Sure they were loud and they look OK. But they don't even compare to the look of the stock pipes. Also the Cobra pipes look a bit to Harley Davison for me.

·
Registered
844 Posts
For anyone considering (or thinking about considering) the Mortons -- there is a comment in the "new exhaust" thread by someone who owned them for another bike, saying that they all but burned a hole in his pants, and he sold them to someone who wanted them for show.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts