M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could use some advice please. Last time I drove the beast, 3 weeks ago, no problems at all. I keep her in the garage under a cover with the trickle charger on. Got her out from under the covers and turned on the key. The speedo went up like it normally does, but it went right back down and no idiot lights and no power? I checked all the fuses and put the battery on a charger for about four hours. When I hooked the battery to the charger it showed it was fully charged, but I let it run for a few hours and still when I turn on the key, nothing. I did pull in the clutch, take it off the kickstand and went thru the gears and checked the shut off switch and everything seems fine. It just won't do anything. Does anyone know how the battery reacts if it is completely down? Would you get at least a dim light or clicking ? I am perplexed:dontknow:. I live in Orlando and the local stealer went out of business. Any ideas form my fellow 109's? I love this board and have completed several mods that I would not have attempted if I was on my own. Thanks guys for any response

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Battery?

If your headlight isn't bright (or lit at all) when your key is on, I'm pretty sure your battery's shot. You can get it load tested at Autozone for free.
How old is your battery?
The board is getting more and more posts about bad batteries now that the 109 has been out for 4 years.
Also check your ground connection on the frame for a nice clean tight connection.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Is the engine shut off switch flipped on the right handle grip?? Sounds stupid. My friends used to flip it on me when I wasn't looking, just to watch me try to push start my bike!!

-Josh
If your headlight isn't bright (or lit at all) when your key is on, I'm pretty sure your battery's shot. You can get it load tested at Autozone for free.
How old is your battery?
The board is getting more and more posts about bad batteries now that the 109 has been out for 4 years.
Also check your ground connection on the frame for a nice clean tight connection.
Sme good sound advice from both of the above. I can tell you that checking the ground is a great idea. Just trace the negative cable down to its attachment point on the frame. Pull the bolt and clean the paint or gunk off the attachment point then reconnect.
If that is not it depending on the age of your bike consider purchasing a new battery. If you have an 06/07, you're due anyway. It takes a lot of CCA's to turn this bike over and even if you're hearing the fuel pump gearing up it does not mean you have enough to spin the motor over.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New battery did the job

Thanks for the feedback to my question. I took the battery to Autozone and they said there's no problem with this battery it reads 12.99 (whatever that means):dontknow: But it would only power up the fuel pump and the idiot lights. When I hit the starter everything went down. I went to Batteriesplus and picked one up for $79.99 and that did the trick:clap2:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yeahhh!!!!

Thanks for the feedback to my question. I took the battery to Autozone and they said there's no problem with this battery it reads 12.99 (whatever that means):dontknow: But it would only power up the fuel pump and the idiot lights. When I hit the starter everything went down. I went to Batteriesplus and picked one up for $79.99 and that did the trick:clap2:
Glad you got it sorted!
I makes me wonder though if Autozone did a load test (they have a machine to test it under load), or just checked it with a multimeter?
12.99 volts doesn't sound right either.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I have seen one do this in person. voltage is there but internally the battery died either from open or shorted plates and there was not enough amps to do much. a true load test would have shown that. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts