M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of my winter projects that I've just wrapped up, I built my riser/handlebars from raw materials and I also clam shelled open the gas tank I got from BIGDADDY to make room for the NOS bottles and extra volume for my Iron Butt runs so I don't have to stop as often.
Being a fan of the Bourget NOS gas tanks for over ten years I felt like it was time for my ultimate challenge by cutting and clam shelling it open, forming the metal for the bottle pockets, rear tapered areas and making all the brackets for the bottles I came to a point where I needed help from an English Wheel and called Eric @ Voodoo Choppers to create the top front metal piece with the flush gas cap and had him seal it up. With the clam shelling of the tank to compensate for the bottles and increase volume I needed to change the entire riser and handlebar area. With only 1.5" riser/bars being available for purchase, I knew I'd have to build my own. After much research I did some mock ups to figure out diameter, Material Thickness, angles, lengths, tapers, and spacing, then had the necessary tubing mandrel formed to have the pieces needed to work with. While in the mock up phase I figured this was my chance to have all the electrical from the Dakota Digital, 3 cables , brake hose, all the factory wiring, cruise control, NOS control buttons, GPS, run/turn signals and of course a garage door opener (you know just the necessities) run through the bars and the upper tree. It was extremely challenging but well worth the effort. Once I got everything welded and filed smooth I got them triple chromed and WOW I couldn't be happier with the results. I'm sure It's been said before but I think chrome is a mans diamond, cause I catch myself just staring at it.
I did a bunch of other stuff as well including paint. Here's some pics.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
WOW! your bike is on my top 10, very cool looking! nice work with the tank! :bigthumbsup:

Shawn we posted the same thing at the same time!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Wow! That has got to be one of the best looking 9's I have seen yet.:bow: The tank is absolutely spectacular. I cannot wait to see that thing in person. Lots of time and hard work went into that. It looks great. :congrats:

·
Registered
226 Posts
WOW!!!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!!!! :bow::2cool::yikes::#1::a18::bad2thebone::yourock:

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
very cool......very sweet azz 9! Very Clean and Well Done!!!
:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup: two thumbs bro!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've reloaded the page 3 times but all i get is red X's

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
THANKS everyone, I appreciate the fed back, it was a very long and expensive winter and I'm ready for a vacation, that being the VA. MEET :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Damn

WOW, no that deserves "3 thumps up"... great look and great job on the bottles.....Beautiful!!

definitely in the "Top Ten 9's" club

1 - 20 of 75 Posts