M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have bought my bike new, I have never noticed what I consider to be normal startup behavior. No fast idle. Now that it's getting colder, I started it today, and it's rough idling at just over 1K, maybe 1250. Is this normal? I would figure it would fast idle at 2K or so, like a car.

This behavior was even before my TRE install.

Just so I can get a feel, what do your bikes do upon startup?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Since I have bought my bike new, I have never noticed what I consider to be normal startup behavior. No fast idle. Now that it's getting colder, I started it today, and it's rough idling at just over 1K, maybe 1250. Is this normal? I would figure it would fast idle at 2K or so, like a car.

This behavior was even before my TRE install.

Just so I can get a feel, what do your bikes do upon startup?
Hi big guy. Mine goes to around 1500 for about 10-15 seconds then slowly idles down, to around 900 to 1000. Do you have a FI manager on your 9? I wonder if trying new settings would make a diff for ya. Hows the fuel filter?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Hi big guy. Mine goes to around 1500 for about 10-15 seconds then slowly idles down, to around 900 to 1000. Do you have a FI manager on your 9? I wonder if trying new settings would make a diff for ya. Hows the fuel filter?
Same here but a few times it did idle high is when I started it before the start up sequence was finished, wait for the tach to run the LED's over and back, then start. Not sure if this will help but it's easy enough to try.....

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Since day 1 mine starts up and high idles for a few seconds, then idle comes down to barely running for a few seconds then smooths out. I had a thread about this and got a few responses from others that theirs does the same thing so I've just kind of blown it off as normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, mine never did any of that, even bone stock, so any FI changes/TRE have not had any effect. No idea on fuel filter, 5600 miles on bike.

I always wait for the system to set and the tach to sweep. Guess I'll wait and see. I think if it gets any colder out, it won't idle much at all. Sounded pretty crappy today. I'll have to look into what might cause it, maybe there's some type of cold fast idle switch that's not activating right.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What you are describing is exactly how mine behaves when cold-35-45 deg. I have a GIPro TRE installed. I have also noticed that if the bike sits for a few days the rough idle is more noticable, but doesn't miss and always smooths out after 15-20 seconds. I have found that adding fuel stabilizer makes a big difference to the rough cold start. I add it every second or third tank. I have experienced fuel filter problems but feel pretty sure that the problem described above is cold bike and damp air.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
Mine only goes to a slightly faster idle on really cold days than it does on warm days. Warm days it maybe goes to 1100-1200 rpm for a few seconds, on colder days in the 30's and 40's it might go to 1250-1300 rpm and hold it there for a few seconds longer. It does idle smoothly at any rpm it's add during a cold start though.

I really never paid that much attention to the exact rpm on a cold start, but I know it's not as high as my trucks fast idle speeds are.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, well I doubt my filter was plugged from new. I will look closer at the rpms next startup. Zoom, I think we're pretty similar. Bout 1250 is all I get, not what I'd consider to be a suitable fast idle. I was looking, and I think the ISC (Idle speed control) is the place to look first. Ugh, I'll take it to the dealer only if I have to.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
Yeah, well I doubt my filter was plugged from new. I will look closer at the rpms next startup. Zoom, I think we're pretty similar. Bout 1250 is all I get, not what I'd consider to be a suitable fast idle. I was looking, and I think the ISC (Idle speed control) is the place to look first. Ugh, I'll take it to the dealer only if I have to.
I thought there was a procedure for adjusting the ISC, but I can't find it. There's a couple sections in the service manual on removing, inspecting and replacing.

Might look at section 6-23 on synchronizing the throttle bodies. It's been a while since I saw anyone mentioning syncing them, but it has been done before. I can see that causing an inconsistent idle at either hot or cold.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Since day 1 mine starts up and high idles for a few seconds, then idle comes down to barely running for a few seconds then smooths out. I had a thread about this and got a few responses from others that theirs does the same thing so I've just kind of blown it off as normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
plus 1

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I thought there was a procedure for adjusting the ISC, but I can't find it. There's a couple sections in the service manual on removing, inspecting and replacing.

Might look at section 6-23 on synchronizing the throttle bodies. It's been a while since I saw anyone mentioning syncing them, but it has been done before. I can see that causing an inconsistent idle at either hot or cold.
I was looking aorund for the answer on that and found this. Kinda sounds like kawis idle circuit might be it, and the latter part about staggered firing of the plugs, I did not know that..............

This injection system has an idle speed control feature that allows it to warm up smoothly and idle smoothly under varying conditions. The 32-bit ECM also varies spark timing, staggering the timing of each cylinder's two spark plugs under heavy load.

I will keep looking............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:

Musta been a 'tweener, in other words, the temp was transitioning from a warm day to a cooler one, as fall kinda does, and I think the computer was "confused" for lack of a better term. Vehicles sometimes just run funny. Maybe it was funky gas.

I can say with good confidence I have a better fast idle, and not as much rough regular idle, I had to start it today in my garage which was in the 40's. Ran fine.
Does need to warm up a bit or it dies when you try to take off! Yikes.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
Does need to warm up a bit or it dies when you try to take off! Yikes.
How much is a bit and how cold? I almost always let mine warm up a little while putting on my gear, but many times I've just started it up cold and ridden off. It's never tried to die on me. The cold start fueling on this bike from the factory is one of the things that always impressed me.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
I'll wait for some others to comment, but that still sounds like it has a little problem. If it stops raining I'll pull mine out this weekend and see if it tries to die out with just a couple seconds running. I did check after posting earlier in the thread and mine idles dead smooth both on fast idle and normal idle. The tach moves up and down a tic or two, but you can't really hear the change in the engine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll wait for some others to comment, but that still sounds like it has a little problem. If it stops raining I'll pull mine out this weekend and see if it tries to die out with just a couple seconds running. I did check after posting earlier in the thread and mine idles dead smooth both on fast idle and normal idle. The tach moves up and down a tic or two, but you can't really hear the change in the engine.
Sorry I was not clearer. I put it in gear and it died while taking off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts