M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Black M109r Drag Pipes, Big Air Intake
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Yes I know, it’s another thread with that dreaded 2500-3500rpm/misfire/surge problem but hear me out.
Bike has
Vane’s and Hines Drag pipes
Big air intake
Cobra Fi2000 set at Green-1, Yellow-3, Red-1
Some hacked o2 delete

Currently flashing an Fi light. (Been told it needs a servo delete)

I’ve spent the last 3 days up and down this forum reading anything that sounds like or might be even slightly related.

Along with being smashed with info, it is super confusing as to weather I have the same symptoms or something totally deferent.

So let’s start with the symptoms.

Straight off the start bike sounds like it’s not quit firing properly.
I understand that it has 2 spark plugs per cylinder and I’m not sure about how it idles I could just be wrong.

If I roll on the throttle at idle and get it up to about 3000rpm, it starts to cough/splutter/missing. Doesn’t sound/feel like fuel it s more of a back fire through the exhaust.
This also happens at 60klm in 2nd and 3rd, 3rd at 80klm
Rolls on hard, pulls awesome but kinda doesn’t sound quit right.

So what I have read from this.
Replace spark plugs
Fuel pump filter clogged-Replace
Fi code c46?- replace servo with Servo buddy
Flash ECU- To get better fuel mapping in all gears.

Things I’ve done
Adjusted Green pot on Fi2000 managed to get a small amount of change in 2nd/3rd cruising at 60klm but started to have issues cruising in 4th/5th at cruising speeds. (Returned to preset after ride)

Full tank of 98 octane

But with no change.

I’d rather not spammer on this bike as it’s in awesome condition and one of the newest bikes I’ve ever known. (Although I’m backyard mechanic capable)

I’m at the point of taking it to a mechanic with a Dyno so I can get this bike running and enjoy it.

Some guidance would be awesome.
Cheers in advance.

PS: I’m from Newcastle NSW Australia 🇦🇺
If you have a mechanic you trust to work on these beast I’d be super impressed.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It sounds to me like you are experiencing the lean running in 1st, 2nd and third gear that all 9's have from the factory due to trying to meet emissions. I installed a TRE and all those problems went away. It would be unnecessary if you have the ECU Flashed.

Also, you could try disconnecting your Fi2000 and return your 9 to stock to see if that may be the problem. This should be fairly simple to try.

Good luck,

R.

Reactions: Only1MADMaN

·
Registered
130 Posts
It sounds to me like you are experiencing the lean running in 1st, 2nd and third gear that all 9's have from the factory due to trying to meet emissions. I installed a TRE and all those problems went away. It would be unnecessary if you have the ECU Flashed.

Also, you could try disconnecting your Fi2000 and return your 9 to stock to see if that may be the problem. This should be fairly simple to try.

Good luck,

R.
A TRE/timing retard eliminator , allows the same ignition advance in the lowers gears as the upper gears , it has absolutely nothing to do with fueling.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
If you had the ECU fully flashed then your fuel maps should already be tuned.
Adding the FI2000 (3 pot) which uses static maps on top of that to me is not smart as you will be adding way to much fuel.
If your ECU is truly fully flashed, remove the FI2000 completely from the bike and see how it runs.

Are you sure your ECU has been "Fully Flashed" including the fuel maps, or is it possible your ECU was only partially flashed because the tuner knew you had a FI2000 on the bike to handle the fueling?

If the ECU is already fully flashed removing the FI2000 will not take the bike back to stock as mentioned by Fishman.....if the ECU is already fully flashed, its not going to go back to stock by removing the FI2000, its going to be running on the tuned ECU fuel maps. :)

Did the tuner flash your ECU knowing you had the 3 pot FI2000 on the bike?
In other words were custom ECU fuel maps worked up with the FI2000 in place on a dyno?
I doubt it as this would be a very unorthodox way to tune a bike.
Getting rid of the 3 pot and tuning the fuel maps to match your mods directly in the ECU is the best way to go.

You would need to know exactly what has been done in the ECU to proceed with any level of confidence that you are moving a correct direction.

Also if your ECU is flashed then there should be no need for a TRE as the timing maps should have already been tuned in the ECU. Adding the TRE would make the your ECU only run the 4th gear maps programed into it and could actually be counter productive.

BCS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you had the ECU fully flashed then your fuel maps should already be tuned.
Adding the FI2000 (3 pot) which uses static maps on top of that to me is not smart as you will be adding way to much fuel.
If your ECU is truly fully flashed, remove the FI2000 completely from the bike and see how it runs.

Are you sure your ECU has been "Fully Flashed" including the fuel maps, or is it possible your ECU was only partially flashed because the tuner knew you had a FI2000 on the bike to handle the fueling?

If the ECU is already fully flashed removing the FI2000 will not take the bike back to stock as mentioned by Fishman.....if the ECU is already fully flashed, its not going to go back to stock by removing the FI2000, its going to be running on the tuned ECU fuel maps. :)

Did the tuner flash your ECU knowing you had the 3 pot FI2000 on the bike?
In other words were custom ECU fuel maps worked up with the FI2000 in place on a dyno?
I doubt it as this would be a very unorthodox way to tune a bike.
Getting rid of the 3 pot and tuning the fuel maps to match your mods directly in the ECU is the best way to go.

You would need to know exactly what has been done in the ECU to proceed with any level of confidence that you are moving a correct direction.

Also if your ECU is flashed then there should be no need for a TRE as the timing maps should have already been tuned in the ECU. Adding the TRE would make the your ECU only run the 4th gear maps programed into it and could actually be counter productive.

BCS
cheers for the reply.
I didn’t mention “I had a ECU Flash”, I said would an ECU flash be a good solution to the problem I’m having.

It seems these bikes have an ongoing problem with cruzing.
just tying to fault find if it’s normal or an ignition problem.

cheers.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
Have you actually pulled the code to see if it's really the C46 code? If not, you should do that first as it may be something else cause the FI light to flash. There's a how to on it here. Since you mentioned the hacked O2 delete, it could be something to do with that too.

Also, how many miles/KM on the bike?

When I had the FI200 on mine I had it set at 1-3-2 with basically the same exhaust and intake mods.. I doubt that would help but it's an easy try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the bike off a mate and he said it was the solenoid issue.
I’m pretty sure I’ll just get it booked in at Inskip Toronto as that’s where he had it serviced last.

I made adjustment but it only slightly helped.
Cheers.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
cheers for the reply.
I didn’t mention “I had a ECU Flash”, I said would an ECU flash be a good solution to the problem I’m having.

It seems these bikes have an ongoing problem with cruzing.
just tying to fault find if it’s normal or an ignition problem.

cheers.
Ok my bad, I read that list as things you have had done.....not things you read about.
My apologies.

Biggest issue is getting the IAP fuel maps tuned correctly as well as the TPS fuel maps.
When you get to the point where these two map sets cross over they need to be somewhat seamless and they are not from factory. The cross over point is right at cruising speed, so if its not a seamless transition it can be a less than desirable ride bouncing back and forth between the two map sets.

BCS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No worries.

My brother has a Stryker that has a similar issue. It’s like the maps are are super basic.

I’ve had a play around with the baffles in/out and Fi2000 and think it really needs a the solo buddy and o2 sensor delete replacement.

It still has the exhaust cam solenoid after a exhaust upgrade.

It seems less of a back fire with baffles in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE

I don’t think it’s spark.

Can replicate in neutral. Happens at exactly 2500rp.
Can feel a miss from both pipes (placing hand over each exhaust pipe Cobra Drag Pipes)
Its just impossible to cruse on at costing speed.

About to order
Servo Buddy (been calling it solo buddy! 🤦🏻‍♂️)
O2 delete pugs
Fuel pump filter

has anyone tried this for a fix?
Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So an update.

servo buddy fixed the Fi light.
Also not sure if it’s related or just me getting used to the bike but, the flat spot between 2000-3000rpm seems better with the Servo buddy.

Just ganna enjoy the bike and shop around for a shop with a dyno that can remap the bike so I can get the most out of it.

cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers BCS.

I know it shouldn’t but I have no other explanation for the bike being settle at lower speeds

On that note, with someone with almost 3500 posts, what might you make of the 2000-3000rpm lean out.

Dyno and map?
TRe?
Cheers

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
Cheers BCS.

I know it shouldn’t but I have no other explanation for the bike being settle at lower speeds

On that note, with someone with almost 3500 posts, what might you make of the 2000-3000rpm lean out.

Dyno and map?
TRe?
Cheers
BCS can flash your ECU to get a much smoother running and better performing bike. Ask him on how to go about doing it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts