M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site, but I have been reading as a guest for a while. I currently own a Suzuki Gixxr 1000 and a Suzuki DRZ 400SM and I'm looking to fill that cruiser void. I'm used to performance bikes but they are not the best for taking long trips with friends. Most of my riding buds are all on Harleys and I have been the odd looking guy riding in the pack with one of my bikes.
I want a cruiser, but I also want performance and am not willing to blow the extra cash for a Harley emblem. I live in York, PA about 5 miles from Harley's main plant, so they are everywhere, I like the individuality of the M109R,(everyone around here has a Harley) I think the M109R might be what I am looking for.

I know all bikes have their quirks, but what specifically are they for the M109R.
I did some searching and read about the oil overfill, the clutches having problems, and some speedo problems. I also read an article in Cycle World June 06 which briefly mentioned a mid range EFI glitch.

Are these real concerns? and what else should I know about this bike before taking the plunge??

G

·
I love my 109, and haven't had any of the problems listed in your post. Having a competent dealer helps with the oil overfill issue, and the other things are just luck of the draw I guess. Get the 109, you won't regret it. Remember to get black, it's faster.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Kaos said:
I want a cruiser, but I also want performance.
Then look no further. This bike is a cross between a cruiser and a sportbike, kinda like the Yamaha Road Star Warrior. This is the baddest cruiser on the road and will smoke a $30K Screaming Eagle Harley with $18,000 in your pocket. That's gotta feel good! Just do it, your Harley friends will be envious when you spank them. ;) :doorag:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Just buy one....ask questions later ! one problem... the fastest color (silver) was discontinued and was instantly labeled as classic...so your late for that one.

I had my bike since early April...not one issue...no oil , no clutch....just sheer enjoyment and interviews from the curious.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
I've had the speedo problem but just changed the oil and it went away.
Damn Perry, you da man! You figured out that all these speedo problems are caused by the engine oil! Now who'd a thunk that?? :p :joke:

G

·
Being a new model .....(mine)a few probs,,little ones,,,coolant leak between the jugs,,,,No biggy ,,(tighten a coulpe of hose clamps).. (trust me fix it yourself)... speedo acted up a few times...since changed the oil and cleaned the sensor(metal shavings,breakin)....noisy trans shifting(my victory is just as loud,,,no biggy either.....and twitchy throttle control,,which you'll get use to really quick...another no biggy.....Performance?not gonna do any better unless you get an ugly 3 rocket IMO....handles great ,,,,looks even better,,,and does everything very well....Buy it,,,,you wont regret it....just hope you get a trustworthy dealer ,,,,who will treat ya right.... :bigthumbsup: Also.....must do(after a few k miles)...change to amsoil synthetic 20w50....everythings so much quieter....... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
256 Posts
overall the bike is a great one.... :bigthumbsup:

power is plenty, even for adrenalin junkies.. :eek:

this bike handles and feels much lighter than it actually is.

the only problems I've had, have been minor...like loosing two front fender bolts.. :verymad:
lost a screw in the light switch housing on the handlebars..
..speedo acted up a couple times momentarily, but stopped after first oil change..

i have had no issues with clutch, efi, coolant leak, but i must say the throttle is touchy, especially at low speeds, but is easy to get used to..

as far as long rides, i had mine nearly a month, then took a 1300 mile trip over an extended weekend...the bike and i both did great, it seems to be most comfortable crusin around 90 or so  :D

it'll make them hd's huff n puff just to keep ya in sight    :yikes:

tc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the great responses!!
I am also a member of www.Thumpertalk.com for information on my around town toy DRZ 400SM. TT is a great site, but I am used to getting one line responses that do not completely address the issues. This response was more than I expected.

I'm heading to my local dealer tomorrow. I know they have at least one black 109 in stock, i'll try to squeeze a good end of season deal out of them.

If I buy one, I'll be back here daily for questions and any help I can give. I have a lot of experience with 2 and 4 stroke MX bike mechanics, so I might be some help here on routine questions.

Thanks again for the quick responses!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
This bike is a blast to ride and now you know where to find a great Brotherhood of riders to go with it :welcome:
Let us know what you end up with.
This is my Slammed M-109 :bigthumbsup:

Big Joe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts