M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was in the shop last weekend killing time and made the mistake of sitting on a 109. I first saw them at Daytona when I used to live in FL and thought they were interesting but was too busy enjoying my SV 1000. Still have the SV but now I am looking for something to add. I was really surprised how comfortable it felt. Sat on a Warrior and it felt like I was sitting on top of it compared to in it like the 109.

Anyway, I can't get this thing out of my mind. I also like the Street rod, like the looks of the Yammi Road Star Silverado (completly different bike than the 109 and the Rod I know) Also curious about the new V-Max that is coming down the pipe and the new Kawi Concours. Again, different than the 109.

My questions are:

1. How is this thing for passengers? I am 6'2" and my g/f is 5'. The SV is just not comfortable enough for her to do much more than 30 minutes or so at a time. I see that a backrest is offered and interested in that.

2. How about luggage? Luggage with a passenger?

3. Reliability? Any things to be aware of? I have read various threads already but thought I would ask. The SV has some hardware that is pretty cheap on it and the clutch slave cylinders are known to leak. Looking for honest info like that.

4. Recently moved to Nashville, TN. Anybody know of any good shops that are willing to deal or have any insurance reccomendations? I know new bikes depreciate(SV is horrible) but I tend to hold on to them for a long time and would rather buy new. That is why I like to do as much research as possible before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

Dave

·
Registered
446 Posts
Speaking for my girlfriend, seat is rather comfortable. More so than the stock seat with a sissy bar on my 1100 Shadow Ace. Seat is wide.

You would be hard pressed to find someone on here that is totally upset about purchasing the 109. Small problems here and there. A few BIG issues that were corrected.

My big issue now is that it is a pain to get body panels off to work on the bike.

The more you mess with one of these bikes the more you realize what went into designing them and how much $ was put into them.

Just my opinions..........

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
1. I'm 6'9 370lb its good for a two hour ride with pass for me

2.just have your pass wear a back pack and put on a tank bag

3 & 4 check the web post to find more help with them :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Other than finding little hidden screws that hinder removal, I have broken a few of the plastic fastners. Maybe no different than most sport bikes, but I am not used to that. Used to a Honda Shadow that comes apart with a wrench and some Allen wrenches. Maybe it is a lack of patience, but it your right, it is good that they are secure and dont fall off.

·
Registered
974 Posts
My wife is 5'9'' and does just fine riding with me for about 350 mile trips using on average two stoplight stretch stops. I did change to the Corbin back seat for her with the backrest it is 1000% better on her than the stock seat was. at 5' your G/F should be perfectly fine back there especially leg wise. My wife is just tall enough thats her leg length makes her fatigue faster. Like i said though a 30 second stoplight break to stretch her legs and shes good to go.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I agree with Moy2006, I bought the Corbin with the backrest for my wife (5'7") and we use cortech sport saddlebags for the longer trips and she is fine as long as she can stretch Her legs every 100 or so. I have the full cut gel up front (6'7" 340) and all I need is forward controls and I will be very happy for the longer rides.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
swagfndr said:
I agree with Moy2006, I bought the Corbin with the backrest for my wife (5'7") and we use cortech sport saddlebags for the longer trips and she is fine as long as she can stretch Her legs every 100 or so. I have the full cut gel up front (6'7" 340) and all I need is forward controls and I will be very happy for the longer rides.
I think i'm going to take my bike to the frame shop have them add a foot :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
[

4. Recently moved to Nashville, TN. Anybody know of any good shops that are willing to deal or have any insurance reccomendations? I know new bikes depreciate(SV is horrible) but I tend to hold on to them for a long time and would rather buy new. That is why I like to do as much research as possible before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

Dave
Hey Dave, I just bought a new black 2007 M109r this past Saturday from Sloans Supercenter in Murfreesboro Tennessee, very close to you, I dealt with Brian Hoskins there and ended up buying mine for $11,2500.00 plus tax. Me and the wife were looking at other bikes and some full out cruisers and when she sat on the back seat she said that the shape of the 109's rear seat was more comfortable by just sitting down on them, plus she is like me and short legged and she was able to get on the 109 alot easier than some of the other bikes. We unfortunately haven't got to take a long ride yet but for now it's great, I rode it over 100 miles home no complaints, just needs minor adjustments that any other bike will need for it's own rider. They only had 2 109's left on Saturday, one was white and the other was the red, I'm not sure if they had anymore in the back or not, those were on the showroom floor ready to go. Sloans has every brand of bike you can think of, every size on the floor to look at, and they will let you test drive them, let me know if you buy one and maybe we can ride sometime.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Can't speek for the 9 and passengers. But I have done a number of 11 to 12 hour rides. Here's the most recent http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=6938.0 in which we did about 11 1/2 hours in freezing cold. I can tell you I never thought once about my ar$e or any other part of my body being tired, cause I was numb with cold. Actually I had no problems with any of the riding position or the seat, although I do have the after market gel seat. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. If I decide to do anything it will be after tax season...

Todd, do you live in the area? I have not been to Sloans yet. Sounds like a trip down there is in order. The one I sat on was red and located in Cool Springs.

I fly for an entertainer who is pretty busy so most of my weekends are shot. My SV still has a FL tag that just expired and I probably won't get it registered here until March. I didn't have it insured in FL (crazy laws in that state) so I am going to wait until then to get it insured here. Save myself a few $$. But maybe when it warms up we can do a ride on a weekend sometime.

Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds good Dave, I only live about 1 1/2 hours from Nashville. If you've never been to sloans it's worth the trip, as I said they have everything, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, and Victory. They have pretty much one of every model made in stock on the showroom floor, don't be suprised when you walk in at the prices they give you, they will scare you to death with their first price. They started at $12,400 on my 109 and I bought it for $11,250, but that's not nearly as bad as the Yamaha Roadliner we looked at for $13,700 and they came down to $10,790, they will try their best to match or beat anyones price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts