M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
around this time last year my girlfriend told me she was pregnant (its a boy 5 months old now)! Greatest thing ever! for some reason the first thing that i thought of was "there is no way i am drivin a crotch rocket with a kid at home"! so i'm sellin the Ducati :-\ now i want a cruiser but it wont be for a year or two till i actually buy one. since i usually do alot of research before large puchases, the timeline doesnt really bother me. i am split between the M and the Fury. i go to the local stealership and sit on both. 1st: the fury, very very narrow, but quite comfortable. 2nd: M, very big :drool:, but light, and beautiful! SOLD, but when i put my right leg to the ground it is touchin the exhaust:eek: that cant be good! is that gonna burn the [email protected]#$ outta my leg or what?
by the way, Great site! alot like the Duc site (good guys, good bikes)

sorry so long!

·
Registered
263 Posts
when im riding the bike and stop at lights my leg doesn't touch. I did notice while getting on the bike I do touch it. Wear pants. Lowering the bike also will help.

·
Registered
643 Posts
around this time last year my girlfriend told me she was pregnant (its a boy 5 months old now)! Greatest thing ever! for some reason the first thing that i thought of was "there is no way i am drivin a crotch rocket with a kid at home"! so i'm sellin the Ducati :-\ now i want a cruiser but it wont be for a year or two till i actually buy one. since i usually do alot of research before large puchases, the timeline doesnt really bother me. i am split between the M and the Fury. i go to the local stealership and sit on both. 1st: the fury, very very narrow, but quite comfortable. 2nd: M, very big :drool:, but light, and beautiful! SOLD, but when i put my right leg to the ground it is touchin the exhaust:eek: that cant be good! is that gonna burn the [email protected]#$ outta my leg or what?
by the way, Great site! alot like the Duc site (good guys, good bikes)

sorry so long!
How tall are you? I'm 5'9 (when I wake up). I ended up using lowering links (referred to as bones) to lower the back end of the bike 2.25". This moved the center of gravity lower, and also allowed for me to put both feet flat on the ground with a wide enough stance to keep away from the exhaust. Some guys go with 3" bones so it looks like the ass end is really low (looks great), but they say they tend to bottom out over bumps when 2-up. And as weird as it sounds, the guys that go with the Cycle House 2" bones end up with their bike lower than the 2.25". No one is really sure why......

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6319&str=290

Some of the other vertically challenged (like myself) have also installed handlebar risers to bring the bars closer to them as well so the reach isn't as far.

http://www.directlineparts.com/byProduct.asp?prd=Handlebars%2FRisers&str=290

Good luck, congrats on your son!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How tall are you? I'm 5'9 (when I wake up). I ended up using lowering links (referred to as bones) to lower the back end of the bike 2.25". This moved the center of gravity lower, and also allowed for me to put both feet flat on the ground with a wide enough stance to keep away from the exhaust. Some guys go with 3" bones so it looks like the ass end is really low (looks great), but they say they tend to bottom out over bumps when 2-up. And as weird as it sounds, the guys that go with the Cycle House 2" bones end up with their bike lower than the 2.25". No one is really sure why......

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6319&str=290

Some of the other vertically challenged (like myself) have also installed handlebar risers to bring the bars closer to them as well so the reach isn't as far.

http://www.directlineparts.com/byProduct.asp?prd=Handlebars/Risers&str=290

Good luck, congrats on your son!
thanx! i was actually thinkin 'bout 2.25 bones and 2 in risers before i even get the bike. thta way as soon as i get it home i can take care of that issue. i'm 5' 8" 185lbs so bottoming out shoulnt be an issue. the bike wont even know i'm there! 8)

·
Registered
20 Posts
:welcome:

I'm a noob too! I came from a sport bike also (Busa) but I am loving this bike!!! It's like owning a muscle car and a bike in one. As a previous post says, with the stock pipes the insulator plate gets warm but not hot enough to burn.

Neil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welcome and good luck with your 9 search and purchase!

what kind of Duc did you have?
i had 2, the one i sold was an :bow:'06 999r!!! i know these M109's have alot of torque but that bike (999r)would snatch a freakin house down!
i still have a '92 900 super sport!

·
Registered
227 Posts
:welcome: and good luck! Be sure to post up some pics when you finally get your 9!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hot pipes

yes with after market pipes they do get hot just wear long pants. You should be wearing long pants for safety anyway. good luck on your m109 when you get it. :congrats: on your new baby boy:joke:. Enjoy its going to be a very nice thing to have a new baby:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
595 Posts
There is so much heat shielding on those factory pipes that they can't really burn you (the mufflers however will instantly leave a permanent scar).
Obviously you should not ride a cycle in shorts but if you were crazy enough to try it you would find the header pipes to be very warm but they will not burn your flesh.

·
Registered
643 Posts
thanx! i was actually thinkin 'bout 2.25 bones and 2 in risers before i even get the bike. thta way as soon as i get it home i can take care of that issue. i'm 5' 8" 185lbs so bottoming out shoulnt be an issue. the bike wont even know i'm there! 8)
Cool, we're almost the same size. If you want the back end low, I'd recommend the 2" or 2.75" bones. I have the 2.25", and they lower it for ergonomics and comfort sake, but once I added the 250 tire it raised it just enough to take a little something away from the look. However, if you decided to take your significant other on the back, the lower the drop and the bigger tire may cause a bottom issue over bumps. To alleviate any issues, guys are cutting down the 4 bolts under the rear fender just enough that they wouldn't gouge the tire. Just something to keep in the back of your mind in case down the road you get a fatter tire....... Enjoy the bike, you're gonna love the attention. Even better, you're gonna love the pull this biotch has.....:evil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts