M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know the compact big size of this motor makes it noisy to begin with. It just seems to be overly noisy and louder than I have ever experienced with a bike. Comparably speaking, next to a Yamaha RoadStar or Warrior, a Harley Heritage Softail, a Suzuki M95 Intruder, etc. it is at least three times a noisy from the engine box.

Any thoughts? - The dealer guys seem to think it is normal but I do not trust their limited knowledge on this newer motor. :confused:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I recommend you get together for a "Bike Night" in your area with some other guys who own 9's and let them listen and you listen to their bikes. That way you can hear what is "normal" for this bike.. I honestly don't think it sounds like anything I've ever heard before.. I love that about it.

That, and the dogs that chase the other bikes around my neighborhood just don't bother with chasing my 9... they know they don't have a chance in heck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
See if the noise goes away when you pull in the clutch. Mine makes quite a bit of noise in neutral with the clutch disengaged. Back when I raced dirt bikes this would usually indicate a worn clutch basket. They would also wear through the hardened anodize layer and start to ramp. This would lead to some self engagement at an Idle. I hope the noise is harmless. It seems to affect all of the 109's Ive seen.

Doc

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Big. some of my concern is a potential loose clutch cage or something in that arena. I only have 1100 miles and am hearing and experiencing noise and some erratic clutch and shifting problems.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
BilRad said:
Thanks, Big. some of my concern is a potential loose clutch cage or something in that arena. I only have 1100 miles and am hearing and experiencing noise and some erratic clutch and shifting problems.
do you know what kind of oil was put in at the 600 mile service?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
every bike I have ever owned had it's own signature little noises, this one is no different. as far as your clutch/shift problems it sounds like you may need to adjust the clutch cable. I know during the first 600 miles or so mine stretched a bit and you could tell the difference in clutching/shifting. just adjusted it at the lever. if not enough adjustment there back it off and adjust it at the lower end of the cable. BTW the service manual is real handy to have.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
steve j said:
every bike I have ever owned had it's own signature little noises, this one is no different. as far as your clutch/shift problems it sounds like you may need to adjust the clutch cable. I know during the first 600 miles or so mine stretched a bit and you could tell the difference in clutching/shifting. just adjusted it at the lever. if not enough adjustment there back it off and adjust it at the lower end of the cable. BTW the service manual is real handy to have.
+1

That would be my suggestion as well. Especially if you have little or no freeplay or just the opposite, you have to pull the clutch all the way in and the bike still feels like its in the friction zone. I had to adjust mine already and am at just a bit under 900 miles. But then I'm very attentive to clutch setup as my fingers are kinda stubby.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts