M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a noise when going about 25-30 at about 2500rpms. It sounds kind of like helmet buffeting but is obviously not. I also thought an exhaust leak but it is only at that rpm range. Any ideas? I had the stealer look it over and they said they did not find anything wrong. Thanks for any help up front.
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
not sure exactly what you mean by helmet buffeting, but, i noticed a metalic exhaust noise at certain speeds , myself. after looking at everything multiple times i finally figured out that it is the heat sheilds vibrating at different points. now i kinda goose it at certain rpm's just to hear it better. it's kinda cool to me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I noticed that when I went from a half helmet to a full face...I heard alot more engine noise......and now that I have about 1000 miles I think the exhaust is getting louder......the fact that it is brand new....kinda makes me listen to every little sound.....paranoia is a higher state of awareness by the way.....how many miles do you have on the machine?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have about 1300 miles on it. I have not done any mods to it. I did change helmets but i just went from one full face to another full face. I am actually going to wear the other one next time and see if i notice it still. But i figured if it was the helmet and i turned my head it would stop or be distorted in some way and it did not change one bit when i turned my head. To clarify a little more it sounds like bursts of air. It could just be the exhaust that is breaking in and that is why i did not notice it before. They might just be hitting a deep note that i am not use to. But as i said before i only hear it at that rpm range and lower speeds.

·
Registered
775 Posts
ohhhhhhh i think i know what you're talking about. mine did that at about 900 miles. took it to a buddy to look at. he cranked his 109 and i rode it. exact same noise. any new exhaust has one sound, after several hundred miles they break in and change tones. both of ours did it between 900 and 1000 miles. we figure it's the baffles loosening up.

G

·
baffles loosing up?
baffles loosing up ?????????

Have you seen in a pipe before? There is nothing to loosen up. Its metal, welded to other bits of metal. And sometimes they have its of muffler packing jammed in it, BUT not in this pipe.
Muffler packing compacting under exhaust gas pressure is the only thing that will change the note of a pipe in the short term.
If it gets "loose" its broken and you should take it in to the dealer.
Tell him to tighten up the baffles....they've come loose :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
like i said before the "guest" from that other site jumped in; it's probably just the exhaust breaking in. i checked with a few buddies after i responded earlier and they said theirs has done the same thing. but, if you're worried , take it to the dealer and have it looked at. is always better to be safe than sorry

·
Registered
88 Posts
This will sound kind of dumb but this happened to me. I went darn near crazy looking for the source of the sound. I pulled the tank off, checked every bolt, nut, anything that wold do this. Then one day I heard it and just about the time I had enough and reached for the gun, I checked the licsence plate. Yes, the source of my grief was the plate was loose, slightly and the wind was hitting it just right. Now, I'm happy once again! :doorag:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the dealer check it out and they could not find anything. But i figured i would take it back and have someone from the dealer ride next to me so i can reproduce it. Other than that it is under warranty if it dies they will fix it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hey, Did you know that the Rolls and Bentley craftsmen ride in the car and trunk before delivery to find noises and will tear the car apart to find/repair a noise. I thought you all might appreciate that. JOHN

·
Registered
346 Posts
You gotta also remember that you have an engine between your legs with pistons larger in diameter than a Hemi with a very short stroke. Point is, there is bound to be some noise. My advice is to get a set of Dragsters and you will not hear anything else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts